Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have some idea on the wiring for the 2016 RAV4 map light assembly? (20 pin connector -90980-12460)

I am looking for 12V - on ignition only - and it should have the voltage there as the light bulbs are 12V/5W.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is really helpful. Seems like it does not have ignition-based 12V. Too bad.

However I have discovered that in the vicinity there is another connector (Q14) which - based on the schematic - have ignition.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks, that is really helpful. Seems like it does not have ignition-based 12V. Too bad.

However I have discovered that in the vicinity there is another connector (Q14) which - based on the schematic - have ignition.
What are you trying to do with the switched circuit? Just tap off radio or cigarette lighter. They're switched on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
powering the dashcam... and no need to run it when the car is parking.
I am looking for the closest point available as wiring it down to the power outlet is simply too much hassle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fortunately for those with a moonroof, the needed constant on and ignition on power taps are available in the map light area.

·
Registered
449 Posts
powering the dashcam... and no need to run it when the car is parking.
I am looking for the closest point available as wiring it down to the power outlet is simply too much hassle.
Thought as much. Just tap to either positive wires I mentioned and ground to body. You'll need a 12 VDC to 5 VDC, 1A minimum transformer to power the dashcam unless your unit specifies otherwise. I'll be doing mine soon. Right now could'nt decide on camera yet. Was waiting for Mobius2. Not release for sale yet.
At the moment I'm temporarily running mine from cig. lighter through adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my one requires 12VDC but yes i'll think through which is the easiest option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fortunately for those with a moonroof, the needed constant on and ignition on power taps are available in the map light area.
Do you happen to know the wire colors/locations? (Also, any instructions on removing the plastic cover with moonroof switches (and lights) in order to gain access to the wiring?

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you happen to know the wire colors/locations? (Also, any instructions on removing the plastic cover with moonroof switches (and lights) in order to gain access to the wiring?...
Of course I would not modify the wiring for a vehicle still under warranty.

To access the moonroof harness, get a set of plastic trim removal tools, such as these: Panel Removal Tool

Use a piece of cardboard or similar to protect the headliner and pry the overhead panel downward at each corner. It uses the standard Toyota panel retainer pins which are pretty easy to pull out. Once the panel is down, look at the moonroof connector. There are pins in each corner of one end. Use a voltage meter to check for 12 volts (remember to ground the other voltmeter lead). If one pin has 12 volts all the time, the other one should have 12 volts with the ignition on. It has to be all the way on, not just in accessory mode. There is a bolt in one of the roof's metal support beams. That is a very convenient ground. I would not try to remove or solder to the pins. Cut out a small section of wire insulation and solder your taps to the wire. Be sure insulate it will with silicone and tape. If you can pull the pins from the connector, shrink wrap would be excellent.

Be sure to use a fused connector wire for your dashcam so a short will not cause a fire. The dashcam direct connect wire harness should have an in-line fuse wired in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Of course I would not modify the wiring for a vehicle still under warranty.
Really? I think the 4 months I've owned this hybrid has been the longest I've ever gone without doing something beyond changing light bulbs.

Good to know that the top console just pops out. Actually, I'm surprised that there isn't at least one screw holding it up in addition to the pins. I looked, and didn't see any (but I've been surprised before) - so I sincerely appreciate the confirmation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jrohland is correct, it's held up with those pins that toyota always uses.

Here is a pic to show the locations of the plastics pins. I would recomend buying a few extra pins. In all the years I've owned toyotas, I've never been able to remove those things without breaking at least one. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
by experience, it is much easier to remove the panel if you start on the left side of the picture - the one which close to the rear view mirror. Starting on the opposite side could lead to a pin damage. Use the widest tool in the panel removal set.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Should receive the cam tomorrow (or perhaps Saturday.) I'll probably just stick it up there with 3M command strips and power with the included cigarette lighter adapter for a few days until I'm sure I'm happy with it (and so I can find what location works best for me.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Attached is a quick image of the moonroof harness with edits showing 3 key wires (+12v constant, +12v ACC (not really), and ground.)

The 12v ACC is labeled as "with car on", as it doesn't go hot until the car is ON (as opposed to just accessory mode.)

When you pop down the upper console, there's a harness attached to the console that you'll have to unplug if you want to move the console piece out of your way. That is NOT the connector I have pictured here.

After you remove the console piece, if you look up in the big hole, you should see a harness with a solid black cover (looks like un-shrunk heat shrink tubing) that's connected something attached to the roof of the car. THAT is the connector I have pictured here.

Can someone please confirm that this is the moonroof motor connection?

(I'd verify by pulling the moonroof fuse, but I can't seem to find anything documenting which fuse is what.)

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I recommend using the handy bolt for ground so you don't have to modify even more of the harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally the Q15 connector (4-pin with [black-white] and [blue] wires) was tapped, all works fine with having minimal impact to the interior and a very short wire to the dashcam. This connector is outside of the map light assembly and actually no need to remove that to make the tap. Now all cables well hidden and cam is operated only on ignition.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Finally the Q15 connector (4-pin with [black-white] and [blue] wires) was tapped, all works fine with having minimal impact to the interior and a very short wire to the dashcam. This connector is outside of the map light assembly and actually no need to remove that to make the tap. Now all cables well hidden and cam is operated only on ignition.
No fuse to camera?
Your 12vdc camera got my interest. Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I got a dashcam and want to hardwire it... any pictures of your setup you may be able to post? It would help a lot...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts