Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change the oil and the oil filter, went ahead and drained the oil, but the oil filter assembly was stuck no matter what I tried. So I put the new oil in without changing the filter. Is it safe to just replace the oil filter assembly and filter without draining out the entire oil reserve? I have the proper tools now as well as a spare aluminum oil filter assembly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My gut feel is you probably can. The downside is the half quart or so of old oil that was left in the system that then mixed in with the new. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you'd already extended that last oil change out to the full 10k mark. As long as it wasn't near totally depleted oil, the impact will be nominal. Maybe do the next oil change a little early to balance it out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No. The oil filter is placed substantially higher than the oil sump. Most of us remove the oil filter first which actually allows a little bit of oil to flow back into the pan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I change the oil on all three of my vehicles and I always start with dropping the oil filter first. I replace my filter while the oil pan is draining. My hope is to not drop a slippery used oil filter into a full pan of used oil, that would make a mess.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No. The oil filter is placed substantially higher than the oil sump. Most of us remove the oil filter first which actually allows a little bit of oil to flow back into the pan.
That, along with removing your oil filler cap will ensure a messy free stream of used oil into your pan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you don’t have that oil filter housing tool just yet I would suggest buying it locally but make sure that it fits the housing before you throw your receipt away. The first time I bought mine online it didn’t fit correctly. Lesson learned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts