Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone,

I was doing a search on the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid on YouTube and stumbled on a Chinese video where the 2016 RAV4 has a panoramic moonroof. Why was that option not available in the U.S.?

The KIA Sportage, Soul, and Sorento have it. I wish the panoramic moonroof option was available when I purchased my 2016 RAV4 earlier this year. :(

The video is in Chinese with subtitles, (I don't understand it nor can read it), but the view of the moonroof begins at 12:05 and ends at 12:14, then intermittently after that.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/CTelpM08WzI

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Hello eveyone,

I was doing a search on the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid on YouTube and stumbled on a Chinese video where the 2016 RAV4 has a panoramic moonroof. Why was that option not available in the U.S.?

Same reason Rav4s are available with diesel engines elsewhere, but not here, only Toyota knows. :confused:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Stricter laws on roll over and roof integrity in North America? Maybe it would take too much structural change to pass our laws for a mid cycle refresh. Dunno, just a speculation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stricter laws on roll over and roof integrity in North America? Maybe it would take too much structural change to pass our laws for a mid cycle refresh. Dunno, just a speculation.

The kia sportage, soul, sorento have pano moonroofs here in the U.S. and I'm sure kia had to go thru some rigorus testings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes I agree. And the Ford Escape, the Subaru Forester, Hyundai Tucson etc etc. But they had them on previous versions and/or were not added in a mid cycle refresh. I'll repost what I said previously......Maybe it would take too much structural change to pass our laws for a mid cycle refresh.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
My son's Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has that kind of sunroof. I also noticed the rear seat has the low profile headrests that don't block your view. And the girl in the video was cute!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hello eveyone,

The KIA Sportage, Soul, and Sorento have it. I wish the panoramic moonroof option was available when I purchased my 2016 RAV4 earlier this year. :(

The video is in Chinese with subtitles, (I don't understand it nor can read it), but the view of the moonroof begins at 12:05 and ends at 12:14, then intermittently after that.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/CTelpM08WzI

What are your thoughts?
The laws are stricter regarding the roof here in the US, but still you have to wonder because my old Scion tC has a very similar panoramic roof like the one in the video. Also, so far we are not scheduled to have the upcoming Pruis Prime with solar power panels on the roof like they will have in Europe, again due to laws governing structural integrity of the roof. Have to admit I really like the panoramic roof on the RAV4 Hybrid though.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I have never even liked a moon roof, so why would I want a bigger window up there! >:D Whatever floats your boat I guess. :wink I do open it slightly and just crack the privacy cover a little for ventilation in warm, dry weather.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I don't even like the moon roof - was a mandatory part of the upgrade package I ordered my RAV with. Panoramic moon roof would mean more solar heating in the cabin (ugh!) and for what other benefit apart from having more cabin light in the daytime (instruments are already difficult to see at times)? Not much to look at through a panoramic roof, either . . .

That video may be one of the longest apparently (or maybe not) non-scripted presentations available, unless the presenter has a fabulous memory or there is a huge, non-visible teleprompter! Some unique and "wild" architecture in a few of the video shots!

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
That video was painful. I would not be a fan of the dual sun/moon roofs, and wonder about roof integrity in a rollover accident, with that much glass. From what I have read, Toyota is not real popular in China, and may feel they need to be more accommodating, to Chinese buyers, in order to sell vehicles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had a Smart for two back in the early 2000 with a glass roof, it's main drawback was the dripping condensation water that landed on my neck in the winter, when it had snow on top.

·
Registered
229 Posts
After we bought the RAV 4, I have not driven our Scion tC much, except for short trips here and there. I got used to having that panoramic roof up there in the tC having driving it for 8 years. For me it was a perfect commuting car and the roof gave it that open airy feeling that I like. Seeing it in the Chinese version of the RAV4 definitely makes me wish I had it in the RAV4. Not a deal breaker by any means as I am totally loving the RAV4.

Over the 8 years driving a tC here in the Northeast with some brutal winters, I never had any roof issues with condensation or anything dripping, but not all roofs are made the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably the same reason the Canadian RAV4 XLE hybrid is fully loaded compared to the USA Base model XLE Hybrid:

TOYOTA CANADA: Build & Price

Click compare on the lower left side of the Website.

May have been better to drive to Canada to buy, with import taxes coming back to the states the cost would have still been the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts