Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first time writing a thread in this forum.
I currently drive a 2016 Rav4 SE in Los Angeles, so far I really like the car.
Normally, whenever I get a new car, if it does not have white leds from the factory, I replace all those bulbs, which I did with my Rav4 as well.

I've been reading different posts and questions and answers in this forum and just wanted to clarify things up for people that are still confused regarding their H16 fog light bulb!

My Rav4 Spec:
My car came with LED DRL, LED HEADLIGHT, Halogen Osram H16 Bulb for the FOG LIGHTS, Tail-light is fully LED, LICENSE PLATE/REVERSE LIGHT/INTERIOR DOME/MAP LIGHTS WERE ALL NON-LEDS.

My Thoughts
So I've been researching regarding the H16 / H11 confusion with the FOGS and they are pretty much the same bulb, except they have different wattage. H11 is usually used for the headlight so it's brighter with higher wattage while H16 is mostly used in the fog and have less brightness. They both fit in the socket with no problem, however there are two versions to the H16. The H16/H11 fits into our car but H16/5202 does not fit. I actually bought both and tested both bulbs myself.

And I'm not an electrician, but in the past when I had HIDs in my fogs for my other cars, manufacturer's bulb requirement (or description) said 35W so I didn't even bother using 55W HIDS for the fogs. And at that time, I used a well-known brand that they guaranteed that the bulbs I bought was 35W. Few guys at the forum back then, used 55W HID in their fogs didn't have problem, but others with 55W had their wires melted, and few had their fuse blown.

New technology with LEDs are suppose to be drawing less current yet being somewhat bright. The fogs in our Rav4 are rated at 35W for the Halogen bulbs. But the bulbs I bought from Amazon "JDM Astar" is "suppose" to be 50W but I highly doubt it.

My Review on the JDM Astar H11 LED bulb from AMAZON
It is by far less brighter than the stock fog bulb, and I believe it's just for the looks but not for the function. I like how it matched the white xenon 6K look with the stock LED Headlights, but most of the time I can't even tell that it's on unlike the stock halogens. I don't plan to exchange it, because here in Los Angeles, it rarely rains and I just need it for the looks. However those who live in gloomy, rainy, foggy weather state, I would recommend purchasing a different brand.

Installing the Fogs
It's really easy installing fogs in our vehicle. Just turn the steering wheel all the way, so you have some room. Please refer the the pictures that I posted. Just need to unscrew one of the screw and pull the guard or whatever that is called and you have an access to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice write up (review)! I was looking to do the same on the fogs as well (all my others are LED). I now know to stay away from the JDM Astar, thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The license plate and back up lights look good. the fog light output issue has to do with the reflector design. Do they make projector style fog lights for our cars?

·
Registered
61 Posts
That does look good! what bulbs did you go with for the reverse lights and is the output a solid white with no tint?

My LE didn't come with fog lights so I ordered some from AUER, whom Toyota uses on their OEM vehicles and for add on lights. They are LED and pretty white with the smallest hint of blue to them(think DRL white kind of lights). Little bit of a pain to install but I am glad I did. They originally come with the plastic inserts most rav with fogs do with a chrome ring around the fogs. I ended up buying SE inserts which have a black ring around the fogs instead of the chrome(I dislike chrome). It probably isn't the cheapest route but since it comes with the harness and button it was worth it to me. I have looked at their site and you can buy just the fogs and basically replace the halogen ones all together. I think they would match up really well with anyone that has a rav with led headlights. I personally have 4.5k HID installed and although they don't match perfectly, its such a subtle difference you can't really tell, but I kind of like that they are a little shade different with the headlights being a pure white and fogs with the smallest tint of blue to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is actually a very good reason why backup lights are not LED.

Incandescent lights are inefficient because they throw off a lot of infrared radiation. A lot. Human eyes can't see infrared radiation (illumination), but the backup camera can.

The backup camera has a weak infrared filter on purpose, to be able to take advantage of that infrared illumination at night. Digital cameras have a strong infrared filter to be able to take color accurate pictures, but backup cameras and other surveillance equipment loves incandescent lighting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went with generic no brand cheap LED bulb from Amazon. But not the single bulb one, like multi flat led ones..

That does look good! what bulbs did you go with for the reverse lights and is the output a solid white with no tint?

My LE didn't come with fog lights so I ordered some from AUER, whom Toyota uses on their OEM vehicles and for add on lights. They are LED and pretty white with the smallest hint of blue to them(think DRL white kind of lights). Little bit of a pain to install but I am glad I did. They originally come with the plastic inserts most rav with fogs do with a chrome ring around the fogs. I ended up buying SE inserts which have a black ring around the fogs instead of the chrome(I dislike chrome). It probably isn't the cheapest route but since it comes with the harness and button it was worth it to me. I have looked at their site and you can buy just the fogs and basically replace the halogen ones all together. I think they would match up really well with anyone that has a rav with led headlights. I personally have 4.5k HID installed and although they don't match perfectly, its such a subtle difference you can't really tell, but I kind of like that they are a little shade different with the headlights being a pure white and fogs with the smallest tint of blue to them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still confused how to pull the wheel liner out, I did pull the one clip out but don't how to proceed... Can you please explain?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Still confused how to pull the wheel liner out, I did pull the one clip out but don't how to proceed... Can you please explain?

just push the plastic liner in and then when it gets off place pull it out, you only need enough room to fit your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed a kit that I got today, you can take out a piece as outlined in the owner's manual and it makes it a ton easier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm currently running this setup if anyone's interested.

I decided to change my fog LED again from Stock -> JDM Astar -> and to this dual color LED bulbs I picked up from AMAZON (Link here). Definitely brighter than the JDM Astar, and you could really see both 6000k white & yellow 3000k color along with the stock LED headlight.

1. My garage was a bit bright, but I believe this image is very close to what you actually see in actual life. It's not photoshopped, or color is manipulated, image was shot very close to the true color/brightness.
[

2. This is when the white is turned on as default.

3. This is the new LED bulb on the left, and the old JDM Astar one on the right.

4. This is just comparing the bulbs, from the top: New Bulb, JDM Astar, Stock Halogen

·
Registered
49 Posts
Richrack: I'm running the same setup as you are and Love them. On a dark road the White's are great for lighting up the road and in the rain / snow the yellow's really help as they don't reflect the glair.

KenK

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
There is actually a very good reason why backup lights are not LED.

Incandescent lights are inefficient because they throw off a lot of infrared radiation. A lot. Human eyes can't see infrared radiation (illumination), but the backup camera can.

The backup camera has a weak infrared filter on purpose, to be able to take advantage of that infrared illumination at night. Digital cameras have a strong infrared filter to be able to take color accurate pictures, but backup cameras and other surveillance equipment loves incandescent lighting.
I don't have a backup camera, but I tried replacing my backup lights with LED's. The LED's were WHITER, but not BRIGHTER. So I went back to the stock incandescent bulbs.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I'm currently running this setup if anyone's interested.
Dumb question: How do you switch the lights from white to yellow?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just ordered as et for my fog light too. I've seen RAV4's driving around with the LED's on over the headlight bulbs. I can see them on my 2017 RAV4 XLE but I can'r seem to figure out how to turn them on. What am I missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered as et for my fog light too. I've seen RAV4's driving around with the LED's on over the headlight bulbs. I can see them on my 2017 RAV4 XLE but I can'r seem to figure out how to turn them on. What am I missing?
The XLE doesn't come with LED DRLs, which are the strips you are seeing. Only the SE, Limited, and Platinum have those setups. I think your DRL uses the highbeams at a lower current, therefore throwing out a lot less light in the daytime.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The XLE doesn't come with LED DRLs, which are the strips you are seeing. Only the SE, Limited, and Platinum have those setups. I think your DRL uses the highbeams at a lower current, therefore throwing out a lot less light in the daytime.
Has anyone swapped out the LED headlights from a Limited/SE/Platinum into a XLE? Are you ab;e to just swap them? They look like they are the same shape.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone swapped out the LED headlights from a Limited/SE/Platinum into a XLE? Are you ab;e to just swap them? They look like they are the same shape.
I have SE with LED DRL, it looks the same as the non-LED DRL models but don't you need a wiring and the bulbs for it after you swap out the housing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts