Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone point me to a document that describes all of the programmable vehicle options?

I am currently looking for information on controlling the power windows with the key fob. This particular customization is NOT listed in the owners manual.

I have seen this capability listed for other Toyotas but not specifically to the Rav4 so hoping that it is available but hidden.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello,

Can anyone point me to a document that describes all of the programmable vehicle options?

I am currently looking for information on controlling the power windows with the key fob. This particular customization is NOT listed in the owners manual.

I have seen this capability listed for other Toyotas but not specifically to the Rav4 so hoping that it is available but hidden.

Thanks,

Steve

You will need a device that you can hook up to your OBD port.
I use an app called Carista with a mini OBD module.
Can customize almost any option you can imagine.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
This is a list of Carista customizable options, it's for 2016 from a previous post. I went with Techstream, costs less and does more. You can find more info on both using search this forum.

The following settings were available specifically to your vehicle using Carista:

Doors / Windows / Remote

Blink turn signals when locking/unlocking with remote
*YES* / NO

Beep when locking/unlocking with remote
*YES* / NO

Volume of beep when locking/unocking with remote
OFF / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / *5* / 6 / MAX

Warn when door can't be locked with remote because it's open
*YES* / NO

Warn when sunroof is still open when locking doors
*YES* / NO

Panic function on remote
ENABLED / *DISABLED*

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door
*YES* / NO

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door within?
30 SECONDS / *60 SECONDS* / 120 SECONDS

Unlock doors via remote
DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND / *ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS*

Unlock doors via physical key
*DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND* / ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS

Unlock doors via smart key (door handle button)
DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND / *ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS*

Auto-lock doors when moving
ON / *OFF*

Lock doors when shifting into gear
ON / *OFF*

Unlock doors when shifting into park (P)
ON / *OFF*

Unlock all doors when driver's door is opened
*ON* / OFF

After locking with smart key, allow re-opening within?
0.5 SECONDS / 1.5 SECONDS / *2.5 SECONDS* / 5 SECONDS

Smart key location to start car
FRONT SEATS / *ANYWHERE IN VEHICLE*

Open trunk via smart access button
DISABLED / DOUBLE CLICK / *LONG PRESS*

Instruments / Display / Dings

Engine start indicator
*ON* / OFF

Display odometer after ignition is turned off for?
*30 SECONDS* / 1 MINUTE / 10 MINUTES / OFF

Key-in-ignition ding sound
*SLOW* / MEDIUM / FAST

Ding when headlights are left on
*YES* / NO

Seat belt warning ding (driver)
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Seat belt warning ding (front passenger)
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Lane-change turn signal auto-flasher count
OFF / *3 FLASHES* / 4 FLASHES / 5 FLASHES / 6 FLASHES / 7 FLASHES

Remote low battery warning
*ON* / OFF

Front parking sensor range
NARROW / *WIDE*

Rear parking sensor range
NARROW / *WIDE*

Mute parking sensor when stationary for more than 3 sec.
YES / *NO*

Parking sensor beep volume
1 / 2 / *3* / 4 / MAX

Activate parking sensors in neutral (N)
*YES* / NO

Enable front parking sensors when in reverse (R)
FRONT / *FRONT CORNER* / OFF

Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear
REAR / REAR CORNER / *OFF*

Dash display mode
*ALL* / UNDISP

Lights

Coming-home lights duration
OFF / *30 SECONDS* / 60 SECONDS / 90 SECONDS

Auto headlights activation threshold
DARKEST / DARKER / *NORMAL* / LIGHTER / LIGHTEST

Automatic High-beam System (AHS)
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Instrument lights dimming sensitivity

Instrument lights restoring sensitivity

Dim interior lights after?
7 SECONDS / *15 SECONDS* / 30 SECONDS

Turn on interior lights when you shut off engine
*YES* / NO

Turn on interior lights when you unlock doors
*YES* / NO

Turn on interior lights when smart key in range
*YES* / NO

Interior light control
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Heater & A/C

Temperature dial calibration
-2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C

A/C ECO mode
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on
*YES* / NO

Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)
*YES* / NO

Deactivate front defroster when AUTO button pressed
*YES* / NO

Fan speed reaches its target?
SLOWLY / *NORMALLY* / FAST

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a list of Carista customizable options, it's for 2016 from a previous post. I went with Techstream, costs less and does more. You can find more info on both using search this forum.

The following settings were available specifically to your vehicle using Carista:

Doors / Windows / Remote ...
What is the cost of a Techstream set up?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Damn! so it would appear that the windows are NOT controllable with the remote. So how can Toyota have this feature available for over a decade and then take it away?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
There are still "un-published" tricks like linking the seat memory to a specific key fob. There's a list of those things around here somewhere, I don't know where.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
So how can Toyota have this feature available for over a decade and then take it away?
The same way they removed the CD player, sunglasses holder, remote seatback releases and many other features, just more cost cutting measures. :frown

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The same way they removed the CD player, sunglasses holder, remote seatback releases and many other features, just more cost cutting measures. :frown
This is zero cost SOFTWARE. The hardware to control the windows is already there.

I can imagine the Lawyers not wanting the "auto-up " feature due to liability with people (or kids) getting body parts stuck in a closing window but there should be no issue with "auto-down" window control.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Wow, what a horror story. I've always like the auto-locking doors, but thought the auto-unlocking when shifting into Park was a bad idea. The scenario I always imagined was pulling into a drive-through or ATM at the bank. Do you really want your doors unlocked when pulling cash out of the ATM?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Wow, what a horror story. I've always like the auto-locking doors, but thought the auto-unlocking when shifting into Park was a bad idea. The scenario I always imagined was pulling into a drive-through or ATM at the bank. Do you really want your doors unlocked when pulling cash out of the ATM?

The ATM scenario is the main reason I changed that feature as soon as I found out how to.

Also had the 'lane change' flash upped to 5 flashes from 3.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
On my daughter's 2014 Camry, one of the programmable options is to open the trunk with a long button press, or 2 button presses. I assume the RAV4 doesn't have that option? On my RAV, I got tired of accidentally setting off the panic alarm when I would bend down to pick up the newspaper or pull a weed, so I disabled that function.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
On my daughter's 2014 Camry, one of the programmable options is to open the trunk with a long button press, or 2 button presses. I assume the RAV4 doesn't have that option? On my RAV, I got tired of accidentally setting off the panic alarm when I would bend down to pick up the newspaper or pull a weed, so I disabled that function.
Using Techstream on my 2016 Hybrid the options to open the PBD with the remote are: 1 short press, 2 short presses or one long press, the caveat of the 1 short press is the vehicle has to be unlocked first, otherwise you have to unlock then do the 1 short press, essentially the same as doing the 2 short presses. IIRC the 1 short press also changed the instrument panel PBD button to 1 short press, been a while since I changed it, so there may have been another setting to make that happen, don't remember for sure, but that's how I have it set. Using the panel button the PBD won't open if the vehicle is moving or in drive, it will open when the vehicle running in park tho.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unswitched Outlets?

I see in your sig that you have unswitched outlets. Do you or anyone else know if it is possible to change this on the newer Rav's?

I would like to use it for cell phone charging but the car is smarter than me and turns off the power after about 20 minutes to prevent running down the battery. Seems like this would be simple.

Thanks,
Steve

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
I see in your sig that you have unswitched outlets. Do you or anyone else know if it is possible to change this on the newer Rav's?
I'm not familiar with the 4.4 models, but if someone has a schematic, it should be easy to find out. In any event, you could always run a dedicated wire to one of the ports and piggyback onto a fuse that's always hot.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts

I would like to use it for cell phone charging but the car is smarter than me and turns off the power after about 20 minutes to prevent running down the battery. Seems like this would be simple.

Thanks,
Steve
In my '15 I ran a 12ga wire from a power tap off one of the always powered fuses on the driver's fuse block to the back of the console so I could charge my phone or tablet inside the console, the back of the console pulls right off and makes it easy to add a 12V outlet. See the 4.4 Interior forum sticky Every wire and its location.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts