Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer for my 15,000 mile inspection interval per warranty. They checked the car out and came back with a dirty cabin filter. It was very dirty and they asked if they could replace it . I said sure and what would that cost. Sixty dollars. I said no, purchased it on ebay for $21.00 - part, no tax, delivery from an online dealership. Watched You tube install and did it in under 5 minutes my first time.

These 3 year 36,000 or whatever the manufacturer has I can see make a lot of money for them. I would probably say yes if I did not know anything about cars or if they did not mark up the price of the part.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did they say what kind of filter? Charcoal filter cost twice as much as regular filter. Plus labor haha. By the way, charcoal filters are horrible. Maybe they clean air better from exhaust fumes, etc.. but, they stink like dirty sucks when humidity is high or when it rains.. and it takes good 10-15 min before air in the cabin stops smelling.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Found a 2 pack on eBay for 10.76 shipped. Will order again when I need more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You'll want to do the same for the engine air filter..Ebay or Amazon, whichever has free shipping would be my suggestion..
Just ask dealer what they charge for an air filter change., you will probably gag...Time to change., less that 2 minutes...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes sense in terms of charcoal filters and your right would not want that. Some dealerships could also try and pull a fast one since I can't see the work being done on the car. New cars are much different from the old days when you had to change plugs, wires, points,etc. every 10,000 miles. They are always trying to find something.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
And how did we ever survive in the old days when cars didn't even have cabin filters? My F-250s don't. And these days unless one drives in dusty areas such as on a lot of dirt roads my bet it the cabin filter never needs changing.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
My dealership changed it for free under the 36k bumper to bumper warranty. They said it was part of the free maintenance. Shouldn't it be?
Since I'm pretty sure it didn't need changing, unless you watched them do it or marked the old one, how do you know they actually changed it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agree with you., it should be free (36,000-3 years)., same as eng. air filter., but I'd bet there not many dealerships that these filter changes are free...Although the dealer I go to has free oil/filter/tire rotation the first 2 years/24,000 miles which is at least something...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Double check the COMPATIBILITY list for your Tundra, I think it uses the same cabin filter.
It is the same filter - thanks for the help...
Got me a new source for cabin filters for both vehicles... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys know you can get them from Rockauto. I got a Denso Cabin and intake air filter for about $5 each for my 2010 V6 Rav4

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep. Got rotors for my tundra and got several sets of wipers from Rock Auto.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts