Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've already searched for the big ass thread on it. I still can't seem to get it off. I'm using plastic pry tools as I don't want to dent anything, but I'm having trouble getting those damn plastic covers off. Can anyone please help me? The dealership is quoting $250 to remove them and I don't have that kind of money to spend, and I'd like to remove them. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What helped me was a paint can lid removal tool. It’s kind of a hooked flat screwdriver type tip. The caps snap over the clips so it helps to be able to pull outward while prying up as well. On my previous 14 rav I did slightly dent the sheet metal on one corner so you have to be careful of that. I did use a flat hard plastic piece for support on my current ravs rail removal to prevent dents. Just prying straight up is tough and you’re fighting the clip but Having something hooked that will allow you to pull outward, maybe an inch or two back from the point, while prying up is ideal. There are clips on the inside and outside so it helps to get one side up and brace it while doing the other side. Then it pops right off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I already broke something ffs. I'm just going to pay the dealer, these things are impossible to get off. Might even be better to just break them and pry them off completely.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Honestly I wasn’t too worried if I broke something. I was never putting them back on anyway. Do you have the correct parts to seal everything up when they’re removed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't even know you needed to get parts. Where do I get them and what do I need?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
They’re in that big ass thread you spoke of. Bigbird1(I think that is the correct user name) had the correct part numbers. You need new brackets to hold the covers, shorter bolts (came with seals when I ordered), and the cover pieces to cover the now blank section where the rail bracket used to be. Came to about $100 Canadian for the parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I hope the dealer has them tomorrow. I'm just going to go there. I don't wanna break anything more than I already have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts