Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with the seat belt shoulder strap? I have a situation where I'm coming downhill to a cross street and turning left. As I attempt to lean forward to view oncoming traffic from right to left, the shoulder strap locks up and prevents me from getting a better view of traffic.
This happens even after a dead stop just sitting there on a slight downhill grade. It's getting damn irritating, and happens only about 50% of the time on this exact same street.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
With my 3rd generation RAV I have the same problem approaching the blind intersections we have. Whether the shoulder belt locks or doesn't lock up depends upon how quickly I lean forward. Locks up when I lean forward more quickly.

Reactions: KJPAT08
G

·
The seat belt mechanism uses a few methods to detect an accident.
One of them is the pendulum method, which detects when a vehicle is braking, or in your case going down a hill. If the pendulum moves it locks the seat belts thinking you are braking (hence also going down hill).
Another method is if you move too quick. It thinks the pendulum is broken, and believes that you are hard braking or have gotten into an accident, and locks the seat belts.
Other methods have to do with bumpers sensors, airbag deployment, etc.
These have been around for many years, and are all normal..

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seat belt mechanism uses a few methods to detect an accident.
One of them is the pendulum method, which detects when a vehicle is braking, or in your case going down a hill. If the pendulum moves it locks the seat belts thinking you are braking (hence also going down hill).
Another method is if you move too quick. It thinks the pendulum is broken, and believes that you are hard braking or have gotten into an accident, and locks the seat belts.
Other methods have to do with bumpers sensors, airbag deployment, etc.
These have been around for many years, and are all normal..
Mine is in no way "normal". This is the 3rd brand new Toyota I've driven the same road and never a problem with any other. It is dangerous to not let you move to see traffic. It is FAR too sensitive on mine, more so than any other Toyota I've had. I think it's a combination of downhill stop and leaning forward, but I'm not moving at all "fast".

If others aren't having this issue, I'll have it checked out next service I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If the A-pillar were properly placed or if it were virtually transparent we wouldn't have this issue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the A-pillar were properly placed or if it were virtually transparent we wouldn't have this issue.
Good point and a major part of the issue. The other is the ridiculous size and placement of the outside mirrors that block your view.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts