Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased for my 2016 , from a Toyota dealer the sill protector applique and before I get started installing them I wanted to see anyone may have any tips or recommendations.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The instruction say not to roll it over the edge, but I did, works fine if installed with at least ¼" roll over and use heat when installing.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I read the same comment but if you don't overlap the sill edge that area is most likely to get scuffed. With regards to using heat are you referring to help fold the edge over the sill or the whole protector?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The instruction say not to roll it over the edge, but I did, works fine if installed with at least ¼" roll over and use heat when installing.
I would love to see a pic of how yours turned out. The edge of my door sill is trashed thanks to my GF's cruel shoes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Door Sill Guards!

I bought these from a toyota dealer parts store online for about $28, they are the ones that look like carbon fiber. You want to install them like the directions say because they have sorta a crease in them that is meant to go over the little step down on the sill. They are easy to install just follow the direction. You may have to have the dealer print you off or email you the PDF file for the direction. One other suggestion if you are concerned about the Applique not covering enough area, just get on ebay and order some 3M Carbon Fiber wrap material to cover anything more you want to cover, is a perfect match and just as thick and will do the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Over Time.....

Over time you may find that the Applique will come up because it is designed to lay flat because it is so thick. I would do what the directions say and use some 3M Carbon Fiber wrap to cover anything else you want to cover. you buy it on Ebay or from a local shop that tents windows or does car wraps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You Need To...

I would love to see a pic of how yours turned out. The edge of my door sill is trashed thanks to my GF's cruel shoes.
You need to tell your girlfriend to pick up her feet when she get in your ride and stop being lazy. Be a man,,,,,Man, she will appreciate you being a Man. I've given my wife the inservice on these sorta things and over time she now appreciates how thing can be taken care of and likes that things can stay or be nice if you take care of thing.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Over time you may find that the Applique will come up because it is designed to lay flat because it is so thick. I would do what the directions say and use some 3M Carbon Fiber wrap to cover anything else you want to cover. you buy it on Ebay or from a local shop that tents windows or does car wraps.

Been working fine now for 17 months, worked fine on my '15 ltd as well. If it won't work to cover the round edge, it's pretty much worthless since that's where the scuffs are the worst. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wounder if?

If your girlfriend is scuffing your door sill's, I bet money she is scuffing the paint behind your door handles too! LOL :wall

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just installed mine the same way as Quickdtoo did and it seams to hold well. I ran a heat gun over each section before pressing it to the sill, and I think it covers all the important area of the sill. Time will tell if it holds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Time will tell

I just installed mine the same way as Quickdtoo did and it seams to hold well. I ran a heat gun over each section before pressing it to the sill, and I think it covers all the important area of the sill. Time will tell if it holds.
You may be ok. Time will tell. I would just buy the 3M carbon wrap on Ebay or you local tent/car wrap shop and cover what is not cover by the Applique's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts