Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make YouTube videos for a living...

And I am currently half way into making a comprehensive first look video of the 2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited (with advanced tech package).

I am lucky to have found a super awesome Toyota dealership and salesman who has given me full access to all of the newly arriving 2016 RAVs.

It is a two-day shoot. Day one is complete and day 2 concludes next Monday (if the weather stays sunny here in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania).

So, my question for you is this:

What 3 things would you like me to include in this video?

By the way, the lane departure alert and performance cruise control is off the hook awesome (but only once it is tweaked in the settings)...

We literally drove autonomous on the highway - just like the Tesla and some Infinitis do...

We pointed the car off the road and it automatically brought the RAV4 back to center hands free while staying 3 car lengths behind the car in front of us. Of course I will show this in my vid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for putting together a video and asking for input.

Here are some items:
- auto-breaking (emergency stop) - How does it perform? does it bring the car to a stop?
- rear/front parking sensors
- nighttime headlight performance
- siri voice to make calls

For the rear/front parking sensors, my primary question is their performance. We have a 2015 Sienna with rear parking sensors. At stop lights when person behind us is to close the sensors start to beep (even though I am stopped and in drive). Many times need to turn off sensors when in fast food car line because of the beeping. With 2016 Rav4 it appears the ability to turn these sensors off are now buried in the information window (not a button). Do these sensors go off when stopped and in drive (especially the rear). How hard to turn on and off given they are buried in the information window on dash? I'm concerned these are not buttons.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for putting together a video and asking for input.

Here are some items:
- auto-breaking (emergency stop) - How does it perform? does it bring the car to a stop?
- rear/front parking sensors
- nighttime headlight performance
- siri voice to make calls

For the rear/front parking sensors, my primary question is their performance. We have a 2015 Sienna with rear parking sensors. At stop lights when person behind us is to close the sensors start to beep (even though I am stopped and in drive). Many times need to turn off sensors when in fast food car line because of the beeping. With 2016 Rav4 it appears the ability to turn these sensors off are now buried in the information window (not a button). Do these sensors go off when stopped and in drive (especially the rear). How hard to turn on and off given they are buried in the information window on dash? I'm concerned these are not buttons.
i hope he dont try the auto brake (emergency stop) because it only applies the brakes if the crash is unavoidable... (atleast what the tech docs on the system says....) we tried it on work with a blow up wall that moved and we drove straight into it, bear in mind this wasent a rav but another toyota with the safety sense package.... our seller freaked out >:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which car didn't respond as desired? I was thinking of an inflatable object or something (not a hard object). I've seen some video of the prius doing the auto breaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking forward to it

We just purchased the 2016 RAV4 SE model with the High Tech package and premium Audio/Nav. Very nice indeed. We could have opted for the Limited, but the SE looks more sportier with the better looking wheels and sports suspension. It is great so far and still playing with all the new systems and gadgets. As far as the panoramic birds eye view it looks like they tried their best to make that work, trying to synch and paste views from 4 different cameras. It is a bit crude but does what it needs to do; see obstructions around the vehicle. The manual is not good and leaves out a lot of information that could help. You'll need to stumble through a lot of procedures. That is a small negative for an overall excellent SUV.:smile

·
Registered
36 Posts
Which car didn't respond as desired? I was thinking of an inflatable object or something (not a hard object). I've seen some video of the prius doing the auto breaking.
im not allowed to answer that, since its under internaly investigation (they got mad at us for smashing the car :crying its a 2015 modell demo vehicle with the safety sense package.
did multiply tests with it at diffrent speeds (20 - 40 - 50 )
it did not respond to objects in any of the speeds, and luckly it was inflatable when we hit it in 50 hehe....

else than that the ravs is held back to over new year here :(

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I just had another email from Toyota suggesting that I explore the 2015 RAV - they must not be very intent upon trying to sell me a 2016 model!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the window, mirror control buttons illuminated at night? They are not from 2013-2015.
The AUTO window button (driver's window) is illuminated.

The Lane Keeping Assist button is, too.

The mirror controls are (unfortunately) not lit - a head scratcher as to why Toyota would skimp on this.

And, the side-view mirrors and the steering wheel position are not remembered like the seats are - another head scratcher.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I asked to test the backup collision system with cardboard boxes for my video.

The dealership asked I do not perform this.

With that said, the Lane Keeping Assist combined with the advanced cruise control is off-the-hook awesome.

It is better than the Infiniti system I recently tested.

At highway speed, the car nudged itself back into the proper lane 100% hands free. Any time we aimed the car to the right or left, the RAV corrected itself in a calm, graceful way. For me, I would pay thousands of extra dollars for this one safety feature alone.

(I am certain self-driving cars is a reality in just a few years.)

With that said, it is not perfect, though. We tried forcing the car off the road on a single-lane road... it beeped as it should, but did not automatically rebound back into the lane. We tried this at least 5 times. I am not sure why it failed to pivot the RAV back into the lane...

Tip: Turn the Lane Keeping Assist setting to "Sensitive" - the default setting will not merge the RAV4 back from drifting off the road.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The AUTO window button (driver's window) is illuminated.

The Lane Keeping Assist button is, too.

The mirror controls are (unfortunately) not lit - a head scratcher as to why Toyota would skimp on this.

And, the side-view mirrors and the steering wheel position are not remembered like the seats are - another head scratcher.
So the driver seat positions (8-way) are the only ones remembered or is the rearview mirror position also remembered/adjusted? TIA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the driver seat positions (8-way) are the only ones remembered or is the rearview mirror position also remembered/adjusted? TIA.
The driver's side seat position is remembered via a pushbutton on the door.

The rearview mirror is not remembered. The sideview mirror is not remembered. Neither is the steering wheel.

There was rumor that the smart key would automatically move the seat somehow as we approached the car - but I did not see this.

Toyota could blow the competition away if everything was remembered as soon as we sat down in the car. Maybe this is something to look forward to in the future.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
They want you to pay for a Lexus to get those features.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking forward to your video! I actually found this forum because I was doing some research before purchasing my new Rav4 and I stumbled on this post! Sadly, I have to wait a couple weeks for my Rav to arrive at the dealership so I am excited to watch your review.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking forward to your video! I actually found this forum because I was doing some research before purchasing my new Rav4 and I stumbled on this post! Sadly, I have to wait a couple weeks for my Rav to arrive at the dealership so I am excited to watch your review.
Spoiler alert:

You are going to love your new RAV4 (as long as you do NOT get the LE. The LE is not worth the lower price.)

The new safety features in the Limited (and Sport) rival what is being offered by high-end luxury makers like Infiniti - at a significant savings.

And while the Toyota is hyping the Hybrid to death, I would not recommend ever getting a first-year version of any car. I would hold off at least one year. Plus, the gas savings is surprisingly close to the gas version (and I see gas prices declining into the foreseeable future).

And if you wait a few days, I will show you how dealer invoice is not what the dealer pays - not even close.

If you are ready to buy, wait a bit - it will be worth it.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The driver's side seat position is remembered via a pushbutton on the door.

There was rumor that the smart key would automatically move the seat somehow as we approached the car - but I did not see this.
This is a feature that can be easily programmed.

With the smart key fob nearby, the car "on" and in park, and your seat adjusted to your liking, while depressing the memory position (either 1 or 2), simultaneously press the lock/unlock button on the door till you hear a confirming beep.

Now, with the associated smart key fob in your pocket, your seat will automatically adjust to your desired position when the door is opened.

·
Registered
50 Posts

With the smart key fob nearby, the car "on" and in park, and your seat adjusted to your liking, while depressing the memory position (either 1 or 2), simultaneously press the lock/unlock button on the door till you hear a confirming beep.

Now, with the associated smart key fob in your pocket, your seat will automatically adjust to your desired position when the door is opened.
Is there a way to make the passenger side mirror point downward when you shift into reverse?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can't really say they skimped out by not illuminating the mirror controls. How often are people really adjusting thier mirrors? While driving I personally don't want a switchboard of lights in my vision that I may not immediately need to use. Perhaps if they only lit up in accessory mode. Or turned off when the vehicle is switched into drive?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Sweet tip. Thank you for this... will add to my review.

Do you have any other tricks up your sleeve that I can feature?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts