Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trailer hitch with wiring harness for my 2016 Rav4 is nearly 4 times more expensive at the Toyota dealer than at U-Haul! I am wanting to tow a 1300 pound Pro- lite travel trailer. Therefore, can anybody tell me why I should consider purchasing a Toyota hitch instead of the U-Haul aftermarket hitch?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I remember right, the Toyota hitch comes with a new bumper (maybe?) so it looks factory rather than hanging below the bumper. Also, the Toyota ones are held on with more bolts, I believe. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I have a 2" curt class 3 hitch (good to 3500 lbs) and it is held on with 4 bolts. No reason to pay the extra IMO at the Toyota dealer. I have pulled right at the max with mine and have had no issues. If anything, make sure the trailer wiring is done right. I have heard and seen of quite a few people having issues with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Toyota in my opinion is not worth the extra money but some feel comfortable in only using oem in the fear that they will void there warranty. No, you do not get a new bumper. It is held in with more bolts but in my opinion it is because the hitch assembly is bolted together from multiple pieces and the additional bolting points are required to give its strength compared to the aftermarket hitches being one piece welded assembly. Toyota was also preferred due to its concealed look however the torklift hitch has the same look for alot less and I just saw other thread(may have been on different forums) of a drawtite brand hitch for a little over $100 shipped that has the concealed look as the torklift and Toyota hitch. I'm very happy with my torklift and installation was very simple, the wiring harness took longer to install than hitch. Lol.... But if I did it over I would go with the drawtite for the price difference between the torklift. If your interested in the drawtite can track down the specific model #. The drawtite is only offered in 2" similar to oem as the torklift is offered in 1-1/4 and 2".

Update, it is drawtite model #76134 and more can be found in this thread just jump to post#512 and has link to drawtite hitch and few posts later has installed pic.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98673

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Also the 4-bolt hitch is easy to remove when it isn't being used - saves about 40# of dead weight on the rear which affects handling on twisty roads and somewhat decreases fuel mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts