Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Activity on the web about 2016s is definitely starting to percolate.

One of the things I do every day is run an Autotrader search with unlimited radius to see if any cars start to appear. For the first time, there are two actual 2016 Rav4 LE's with VIN numbers appearing:

2016 Toyota RAV4 for Sale in Newton, MA 02458 - Autotrader

There's also an official commercial for Toyota Switzerland that just appeared on YouTube (8 views so far), but that's not as exciting:
https://youtu.be/bijWSUN-efQ

I'll be scouring the web and putting information here and in the hybrid thread as soon as it's available.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There's also an official commercial for Toyota Switzerland that just appeared on YouTube (8 views so far), but that's not as exciting:
https://youtu.be/bijWSUN-efQ
It gives a couple more clues what we can expect. These might have been mentioned already. Looks like 18" wheels, a shark-fin radio antenna, and pop-up headlight washers, (like my old Lexus has). (We already know about the LED headlights, or they might only be DRLs and LED taillights.)

Also looks like the rear deck is going to get scratched up when loading and unloading 'stuff'. The black plastic rear bumper trim does not come all the way up to the deck lip. I'm sure there will be a dealer option for a 'rear sill protector'.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nice. I forwarded that video to my wife. That's exactly what she wants to buy and we are in a waiting mode.

Hoping there isn't a lot of pent up demand for the Hybrid now that gasoline is a bit cheaper everywhere. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I called my salesman. He said that his manager had a call with Toyota today (coincidental, huh?) and it sounds like it will be late November before anything is actually on the ground. He speculated that the new tooling for the hybrid may be what's delaying release of the 2016s. Ugh!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why would they delay everything because of the hybrid? Will there be a huge demand for that so much so that sales can be eaten up by competitors? The hybrid is what we'll be getting.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are now 16 listings on the Autotrader link from above. Interestingly, all are 2WD LE.

Dealers are starting to list these on their websites as well, but there's no evidence that any of them actually have one.

If anyone lives near one of the dealers who has one listed, would you consider calling and seeing what info you can get?

No other updates so far today...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't much automotive buzz around this car so close to its release date. I'm also chomping at the bit for this car!

·
Registered
182 Posts
We started building them on Monday. Those ads are for vehicles not yet released.

We have one on display in the plant though. I like it. It will sell very well.

I build the Rav4 in Canada.
Thanks Toby. Do you know when Toyota will formally "announce" the 2016 RAV4 in the US?

·
Registered
50 Posts
We started building them on Monday. Those ads are for vehicles not yet released.

We have one on display in the plant though. I like it. It will sell very well.

I build the Rav4 in Canada.
Will AWD models be coming out at the same time as FWD? It looks like some Japanese-made 2016 Ravs are already for sale on the west coast. Does the Midwest pretty much only get Canadian Ravs?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Most north American Ravs will be made in Canada. AWD and fwd are all made on the same line. Built to order.
Good morning and thanks for confirming Toby. Keep up the good work on quality, especially on the first few Blizzard Pearl Limited Hybrid's coming of the assembly line. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wait...the hybrid has 4 cubic feet of space reduced? I was hoping that wouldn't be the case (hell, the Highlander doesn't lose cargo room from non-hybrid to hybrid does it?). Has anyone seen pictures or heard it described? Can the 2nd row still fold flat? I was praying it would still be a flat floor when the seats fold down.

Nevermind, I think I found the answer to my question....
http://www.bestgreencars.com/news-blog/104-was-the-2016-toyota-rav4-hybrid-worth-the-wait

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wait...the hybrid has 4 cubic feet of space reduced? I was hoping that wouldn't be the case (hell, the Highlander doesn't lose cargo room from non-hybrid to hybrid does it?). Has anyone seen pictures or heard it described? Can the 2nd row still fold flat? I was praying it would still be a flat floor when the seats fold down.

Nevermind, I think I found the answer to my question....
http://www.bestgreencars.com/news-blog/104-was-the-2016-toyota-rav4-hybrid-worth-the-wait
2.8 cu ft less in the hybrid. Has to be less for the hybrid battery.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Would there be a change to the rear and cargo floor mats as a result of the smaller interior space ? I'm thinking of going with Huskies or Aries, the top two recommendations on this forum. :)

So far, I haven't seen mats on ebay labeled with 2016 AWD Hybrid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2.8 cu ft less in the hybrid. Has to be less for the hybrid battery.
Yeah, I think my question was more geared towards how the cargo floor was affected as a result of that. Did they raise the whole cargo deck so it can still have a flat floor or is there a bump somewhere between the seats and the rear cargo space. I'm hoping it's the former instead of the latter.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the lost space is due to the batteries under the rear seats. One picture from the press release shows a view from the rear with the hatch up and the seat backs down. They were not flat. It reminded me of the Lexus I had, (same battery location and also seats that would not go 'flat').

When I noticed the space under the rear seats of my new RAV, I thought, "Ah ha! A place to store 'stuff'." I had some shoe box sized plastic containers and put one under the center of the rear seats. One day, when I took some stuff to the Salvation Army for donation, I put the rear seat backs down. The next day when I put the seat backs up and pulled out that little container, it was squashed in the front. I bet that's where the lost space is.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the lost space is due to the batteries under the rear seats. One picture from the press release shows a view from the rear with the hatch up and the seat backs down. They were not flat. It reminded me of the Lexus I had, (same battery location and also seats that would not go 'flat').

When I noticed the space under the rear seats of my new RAV, I thought, "Ah ha! A place to store 'stuff'." I had some shoe box sized plastic containers and put one under the center of the rear seats. One day, when I took some stuff to the Salvation Army for donation, I put the rear seat backs down. The next day when I put the seat backs up and pulled out that little container, it was squashed in the front. I bet that's where the lost space is.
Hopefully the rear seats not being flat doesn't result in discomfort during longer trips (rarely happens as we'd rather rent a car when traveling in the US as depreciation is just too much and we usually would have to flight out anyway).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts