Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed this weird bubble forming, obvious question, but this is covered under the warranty correct? Anyone else have this issue? Is it just like a vinyl skin?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very weird. Looks like someone went at it with a heat gun. I'd hope the sun couldn't do that. It should be covered. Hopefully they don't try blame you for it somehow. Dealers are good at that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well just came back from the dealer and they are ordering the parts. They feel it may be a manufacturing defect as another 2016 Rav was there not too long ago with the same issue. They tried to say it may have been from a tint install, however I have no tint so that was quickly squashed!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Glad there were no issues. Going to keep a close eye on mine. Just can't imagine what would cause that to suddenly start happening. Looks like it's melting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went out and checked our other 2016 Rav and it looks faded already!

Will be emailing these pictures to my service advisor and hopefully they can replace these too! This is unacceptable for a car not even a month old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can I ask what type of cleaners and/or trim protectant you use? From looking at the pictures, I can see fine vertical abrasions as if something was rubbed up and down that ended up etching or drying out the plastic trim.

Do you happen to go through automatic car washes? I won’t say they are all bad, but some have very harsh cleaners/chemicals that may quickly clean your car but also might strip away some of the protection on your paint and trim.

I just checked out my 2016 and it looks perfect. But then again, my Rav4 is only a little over 3 months old.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Almost $30??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been thru a car wash once. The dealer is replacing all four on the one with the bubble. Do you think these other pictures warrant a replacement as well?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been thru a car wash once. The dealer is replacing all four on the one with the bubble. Do you think these other pictures warrant a replacement as well?
If they will replace it for free, maybe it is worth it. Otherwise, you can pick up some trim restorer and see if it bring it back to life.

something like this

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they will replace it for free, maybe it is worth it. Otherwise, you can pick up some trim restorer and see if it bring it back to life.

something like this
How To: Restore Plastic Trim - Chemical Guys Trim Gel Detailing Car Care - YouTube
Thanks for the video link. I plan on getting the windows tinted, does anyone know if replacing this molding will potentially damage the window tint? I saw a youtube video of it being replaced on a bmw and the guy had the windows rolled all the way down to replace them. Maybe if someone has access to the service manual? Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the dealer and they said it looks like possibly when cleaning the car at the dealer I bought it from, they scratched it or used some kind of chemical. I called my sales guy and text him the pictures and he is going to check with the service department. Ugh...big hassle but hopefully it will be replaced.

On the bright side, the other Rav with the bubble is being replaced this afternoon as the parts arrived.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts