Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 2016 XLE to the dealer yesterday... there has been an annoying rattling coming from the sunroof for a few weeks now. rattles like crazy when moving, even on pretty smooth roads. If I open, then close, the sunroof, it goes away, but then it returns. Luckily the dealer heard it and they took it for a few hours. Come to find out they have to replace a part: the frame that the sunroof sits in... there's something up with it. Unfortunately they don't have the part, so they had to order it, should be in next Thursday.

Has anyone ever hear of or experienced this? The sunroof never leaked, so that's a good thing. And I guess they told me that they'd have to totally rip out the headliner. At that rate they might as well just replace the whole sunroof if the frame is the issue....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Intermittent, seems to be more pronounced when the weather is warm. At first it was maddening but I seem to have become used to it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had a 2016 XLE for a year now no sunroof issues to report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, so far so good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad I run into this thread, I was trying to figure out what cause the issue. I am having the same issue the the sun roof rattling when in close position. No leak, just rattle like crazy on the driver side. Looks like I will mention about it during my next oil change visit. Mine is SE 2016, this happened 10 months after I got it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad I run into this thread, I was trying to figure out what cause the issue. I am having the same issue the the sun roof rattling when in close position. No leak, just rattle like crazy on the driver side. Looks like I will mention about it during my next oil change visit. Mine is SE 2016, this happened 10 months after I got it.
Well as I type this now I am waiting for my dealer to call me to let me know that my RAV is ready. They took it in yesterday afternoon after waiting a week for the part to come in. But they called me a few hours ago and said that when everything was apart, the found that a bolt was loose/crooked, but it was a "special" bolt that they didn't have in stock, but luckily a Toyota supplier was kinda close, so they had to make a run to go get it. Hopefully it will be done by about 6pm or so. If I can get an idea of what this "special" bolt is I'll post back here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow - so it was just a loose bolt. If you have addition info on where the bolt, please post. If I can just tight is down myself rather than drop it of for hours at the dealership on something that is so simple. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow - so it was just a loose bolt. If you have addition info on where the bolt, please post. If I can just tight is down myself rather than drop it off of for hours at the dealership on something that is so simple. Thanks!!!!
Well they did tell me that they would have to rip the whole headliner down, and when the service guy called, they said they noticed it when it was all apart, so not sure if that's a good sign.... I'll make sure to find out as much as I can...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yuk, that does not sound so fun. A lot of work and to get to a bolt. I am always nervous about the techs at the dealership take things apart. I sure hope they put everything back nicely as the day it left the Toyota Factory. This seems to happen more than just 1 or 2 Rav4. Good luck and please report back.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... so here is what the service guy told me... there are bolts that secure the sunroof frame to the actual body of the vehicle... well one of them was cross-threaded for some reason... so because it wasn't tight the sunroof rattled... I guess for some reason they don't stock that particular bolt, that's why they had to go to a regional distributor to get it.

So the biggest part of the job was getting to the bolt. Sunroof is quiet now... :)

Oh, and the rattling was coming from the passenger's side of the sunroof, but I have no idea on the bolt layout or which one it was... but I hope all that info helps...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yuk, that does not sound so fun. A lot of work and to get to a bolt. I am always nervous about the techs at the dealership take things apart. I sure hope they put everything back nicely as the day it left the Toyota Factory. This seems to happen more than just 1 or 2 Rav4. Good luck and please report back.
Or hopefully even better since the factory had something to do with the loose mystery bolt. :smile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brought my 2016 XLE to the dealer yesterday... there has been an annoying rattling coming from the sunroof for a few weeks now. rattles like crazy when moving, even on pretty smooth roads. If I open, then close, the sunroof, it goes away, but then it returns. Luckily the dealer heard it and they took it for a few hours. Come to find out they have to replace a part: the frame that the sunroof sits in... there's something up with it. Unfortunately they don't have the part, so they had to order it, should be in next Thursday.

Has anyone ever hear of or experienced this? The sunroof never leaked, so that's a good thing. And I guess they told me that they'd have to totally rip out the headliner. At that rate they might as well just replace the whole sunroof if the frame is the issue....
We had that problem until about 30 minutes ago when the wind ripped it of the top of our car while going down the interstate! You need to do whatever has to be done to get it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am having the same problem with my 2016 RAV4 SE... took it to dealer and they need almost $1000 to fix.. vehicle is out of 3 year warranty period but I believe Toyota should fix this at no cost to me since this seems to be a structural issue.. have a 2011 highlander with no such issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts