Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the actual pictures of the bulb I took out. I'm so confused as it seems half of the people say its a H16 as labeled, and the other say its actually an H11. Can you offer any clear insight based on the picture? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The wattge is correct for an H16. H11 is a 55w lamp and will melt the housing.

You've already had one fail?
(please don't tell me you're going to put HID into those housings)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wattge is correct for an H16. H11 is a 55w lamp and will melt the housing.

You've already had one fail?
(please don't tell me you're going to put HID into those housings)
No they havent failed yet, I just wanted to put in a brighter halogen bulb or maybe an LED. I just wanted to narrow down the correct bulb before ordering online.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Brighter halogen is going to melt the housing.

Why do you want brighter? The original are plenty bright on both our Rav and Corolla.
In fog, you don't want "bright"... that causes backscatter and will blind you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Brighter halogen is going to melt the housing.
[FONT=&quot]Have you actually seen the melted fog light housing from using say 35W bulb?[/FONT]
Why do you want brighter?
[FONT=&quot]What's wrong with using brighter fog lamps? People use them not only in case of fog. Just to see better in the dark.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The original are plenty bright on both our Rav and Corolla.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
19W bulb just cannot be plenty bright by its nature. Too low wattage. It uses less power though.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
In fog, you don't want "bright"... that causes backscatter and will blind you/.
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]It's true ONLY if the fog lays too close to the ground which happens very rarely. Usually it lays 3 - 4 feet and higher above the ground in the area where your headlights (high/low) operate. That's why [FONT=&quot]the[/FONT] fog lights mounted on the cars so low and directed down to the ground. As I mentioned above people use the fog lights just for better visibility. How many times in a year we face the heavy fog? There are a lot of areas where people don’t see a lot of fog and in some areas ever.[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]P.S. I'd love to have brighter fog lights on my 2013 [FONT=&quot]Rav-4 XLE[FONT=&quot] like SilverStar Ultra,[/FONT] but I'm not sure if I have a problem with a fuse which [FONT=&quot]handles just 19W[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT] [/FONT]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm so confused as it seems half of the people say its a H16 as labeled, and the other say its actually an H11.
It's H16 just newer version Type 2. In case to replace it just look for H16 Type 2. H11 also fit but I don't know if the fuse can handle 55W

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
When people are behind me in clear weather with HID or 55w halogens in their fog lights and they are blinding me and oncoming drivers, you bet I have a problem with illegal modifications to the stock lighting systems.

There is nothing wrong with the stock Corolla lighting.
People complain about visibility on dark roads because of the relatively low cutoff of the projectors. Been there seen that. That's why we have high beams.

OP is in California and CHP has been cracking down on HID and other lighting issues last couple of years.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently got the 2016 XLE, looking to replace the halogen bulbs for LED's. I'm HID DYI guy. Previously had replaced the low beam/ fog lights on a 09 Venza and 13 Camry for H11 all around with HID's after three years of ownership never had any issues melting the housing or blowing fuses.

I have a Lexus NX200t and the Led's looks spectacular hope I ca do something similar on the RAV4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts