Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to Everyone first off!! I just picked up my 2017 LE AWD, i could really use some advice on door sill and rear bumper protection, nothing fancy, just plain black kind of parts, id like to protect those areas from scratches. I did browse the oem accessories, are there better aftermarket pieces or do y'all prefer the oem ones.

Also, im looking at husky liner floor mats, i have them in my current and previous vehicles, i noticed that toyo has factory tub style mats, does anyone have any experience with them and are they any good, oem ones im asking about. Im open to all any suggestions. TIA to everyones reply.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used the OEM door sill scuff plates (the metal ones) on my RAV4, and they've worked well so far. However, if it's just scratches, a film would work very well too. On the rear bumper, I put Xpel Ultimate across the entire surface. It's a decently thick film, completely clear, and it protects from scratches very well, since it is self healing. You can't even tell it is there, since I went to each corner. When my dog jumps in the back, he hits it with his nails almost every time, and it is still free of any markings. It also means that when it rains and all the dirt from the hatch collects on my bumper, I can use a towel to wipe it off without scratching paint or making marks.

I actually really like the OEM Toyota floor mats. If they weren't tub-style, I'd go with Weathertech, but since Toyota finally didn't just do flat rubber mats, I went with the OEM look. They're really easy to clean, and aside from the passenger one tending to slide forward over time, I really like them. If Weathertech had made ones for the hybrid when I bought it, I might have gone with the Weathertech though, since they will probably hold up better over time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the OEM door sill scuff plates (the metal ones) on my RAV4, and they've worked well so far. However, if it's just scratches, a film would work very well too. On the rear bumper, I put Xpel Ultimate across the entire surface. It's a decently thick film, completely clear, and it protects from scratches very well, since it is self healing. You can't even tell it is there, since I went to each corner. When my dog jumps in the back, he hits it with his nails almost every time, and it is still free of any markings. It also means that when it rains and all the dirt from the hatch collects on my bumper, I can use a towel to wipe it off without scratching paint or making marks.

I actually really like the OEM Toyota floor mats. If they weren't tub-style, I'd go with Weathertech, but since Toyota finally didn't just do flat rubber mats, I went with the OEM look. They're really easy to clean, and aside from the passenger one tending to slide forward over time, I really like them. If Weathertech had made ones for the hybrid when I bought it, I might have gone with the Weathertech though, since they will probably hold up better over time.
opcunneely, are the oem tub style liners more like a plastic or are they "rubbery"? The reason i chose the husky over the weathertechs was for that very reason, they felt softer and fit a little better, i wonder who makes these for the toyo?

Thanks for the Xpel idea, just did a online search and found a site that sells it, its in a wide range of widths, 12" being the smallest, now i just dont know if this is per foot of length for the price they had it at, will shoot them a mail shortly. I think i can get similar products that are closer to me as i did a search for an installer on xpels site, and they are quite aways from me. I think something like a black plastic cover would work for me and i could install it myself i guess. Thanks for all your info.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are very rubbery and flex nicely to make seal-like contact with the plastic on the sides of the carpet. I will say I never expected the Weathertech mats to be so stiff when I got a set in the past. I was so used to rubber, and they were almost like a plastic tray. I think they're nice, though, and they seem to be pretty hydrophobic, so things come off easily with a quick pass under the sink.

Yeah, honestly, the Xpel was a bit complicated, and the reason I did it was because there was some left over after the whole front of the car was covered with it, and it was either throw it out or use it, so I used it. If I hadn't done it, I likely would have gotten the OEM aluminum one from Toyota, or a similar one from an online supplier if it had good reviews. I think the one Toyota makes actually looks quite nice, I just wish it were a little deeper since it seems to not cover much past the leading edge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are very rubbery and flex nicely to make seal-like contact with the plastic on the sides of the carpet. I will say I never expected the Weathertech mats to be so stiff when I got a set in the past. I was so used to rubber, and they were almost like a plastic tray. I think they're nice, though, and they seem to be pretty hydrophobic, so things come off easily with a quick pass under the sink.

Yeah, honestly, the Xpel was a bit complicated, and the reason I did it was because there was some left over after the whole front of the car was covered with it, and it was either throw it out or use it, so I used it. If I hadn't done it, I likely would have gotten the OEM aluminum one from Toyota, or a similar one from an online supplier if it had good reviews. I think the one Toyota makes actually looks quite nice, I just wish it were a little deeper since it seems to not cover much past the leading edge.
Thats the very reason i went with husky liners over the weathertechs, the place i bought mine from has/sells both, actually have the michelin tub style as well but the price of them was ridiculous(these were by far the best), the husky was quite soft in regards to material and appeared to but overall better. Im heading down to the dealer this week sometime, will check out the parts dept, see what i can haggle. Price wise, the oem are cheaper than the husky, if they are of similar quality, ill be them for sure.

I agree, in the pictures of the bumper protector, it does look good, bling>:D but its coverage seems narrow, like you stated, does not go out to the edge or give it any protection, my assumption just from pictures. Thanks for the info and your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts