Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group, I just purchased a 2017 FWD Limited with a 250 mile, 5 day Money Back Guarantee. After filling the tank, I drove 100 city miles - no bumper to bumper rush hour or highway - just the usual, flat land, Houston traffic with the AC on - same as my FWD, 4 cyl 2007 we got 239K out of. After refilling 6 gallons of gas, the math returns just 16.6 MPG city. I've topped off and will do another 100 tomorrow but this is very low MPG and concerning as I have to decide to keep or return within the next 2 days/150 miles. Any input would be much appreciated - are the 13-18 gen FWD models known for lower than posted 23/29? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 14 limited AWD. I'm always driving local, usually getting 16 -17 mpg and 240-250 miles. I was tried a long trip and get it 28-30 MPG. FUELLY you can check from this page other rav4s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you get on the average mpg meter?
I have reset the meter and will do another 100 mile combined city/highway test today to see if the overall mileage improves, both at the pump and per the instrument panel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We don't drive much in city traffic, so I can't say what SWMBO's 2016 does there, but on the highway it gets significantly more than the sticker rating. BTW, the mpg meter reads a couple of mpg higher than the calculated value. Based on that we get around 22 mpg in the city.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't drive all city so my mpg doesn't compare, but startups do kill mpg. I got about 21 one time of mostly city. Road is good at up to 32-33 unless I am drafting a fedx truck. Then it gets ridiculous like 38. My 6700 mile road trip across country yielded about 29 avg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not really a deal breaker for me, but I will say I am rather annoyed at the efficiency of my 2016 that I just got a couple weeks ago lightly used.

My wife drives a 2019 Camry XSE V6 which has FAR superior MPGs/efficiency. Heck. So far I'm convinced my 2007 Camry LE V6 (RIP) had better fuel efficiency.

Again, not a deal breaker as it's a bit of a project car for me but I was not expecting this whatsoever. Admittedly it is a lot of city driving because of where we live, but I just can't understand why it's so extremely poor. Another issue is that the speed limits on the highways are high enough that nearly every single vehicle on the road is going at the very least 70MPH and that absolutely kills my RAV4's fuel efficiency. It's like the car was designed to optimally go 60MPH which is completely outdated by today's highway standards. Just one more gear and it would've likely been fine.

I've always been a firm believer in driving/owning cars with no less than 6 cylinders, and this isn't exactly helping disprove that way of thinking.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not really a deal breaker for me, but I will say I am rather annoyed at the efficiency of my 2016 that I just got a couple weeks ago lightly used.

My wife drives a 2019 Camry XSE V6 which has FAR superior MPGs/efficiency. Heck. So far I'm convinced my 2007 Camry LE V6 (RIP) had better fuel efficiency.

Again, not a deal breaker as it's a bit of a project car for me but I was not expecting this whatsoever. Admittedly it is a lot of city driving because of where we live, but I just can't understand why it's so extremely poor. Another issue is that the speed limits on the highways are high enough that nearly every single vehicle on the road is going at the very least 70MPH and that absolutely kills my RAV4's fuel efficiency. It's like the car was designed to optimally go 60MPH which is completely outdated by today's highway standards. Just one more gear and it would've likely been fine.

I've always been a firm believer in driving/owning cars with no less than 6 cylinders, and this isn't exactly helping disprove that way of thinking.
The extra gear will not help. Driving xcountry, over 70mph my 2014 ltd was constantly trying to run in 5th gear. I believe the downshift is determined by the intake manifold pressure. So the extra gear might help at a lower speed on a flat road, but as soon as there was any load on the engine it would probably downshift to 5th anyway. A friend with a 6cyl 2017 Honda accord gets 34 MPG on the road. I don't understand that, but Honda doesn't sell that config anymore. A 6 in a RAV with higher gearing might be able to manage that, but a Lexus RX-350 is rated at what is std for a 6 ~ 25mpg on the road. So, the options appear bleak for improvement. Maybe diesel or electric.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most of my driving is on county and country roads .... speeds rarely over 50 mph. Had my 2016 Rav4 for just over two months now and I'm averaging between 26 and 28 mpg. I fill up at 1/4 tank and use the cheap stuff. I also leave it on the "middle" setting (not sport or Eco). I'm not a lead foot like I was with my old Honda Accord V6 which only got 22 mpg. for whatever that's worth to you ......

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive in NYC stop\go all the time on my 2018 RAV4 with some highway from time to time I am averaging 21-22 MPG, better than my CR-V 2014 averaging 19-20, sounds like something wrong . I haven't seen an MPG that low either on my previous RAV4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The extra gear will not help. Driving xcountry, over 70mph my 2014 ltd was constantly trying to run in 5th gear. I believe the downshift is determined by the intake manifold pressure. So the extra gear might help at a lower speed on a flat road, but as soon as there was any load on the engine it would probably downshift to 5th anyway. A friend with a 6cyl 2017 Honda accord gets 34 MPG on the road. I don't understand that, but Honda doesn't sell that config anymore. A 6 in a RAV with higher gearing might be able to manage that, but a Lexus RX-350 is rated at what is std for a 6 ~ 25mpg on the road. So, the options appear bleak for improvement. Maybe diesel or electric.
Almost all my car's have been Toyota, and it seems the one thing that haunts them is the transmission. Not because it'll break on ya, but because it doesn't know what gear it should be in or situations like this where it doesn't appear the transmission (or engine) was fully evaluated across all situations. I'm sure other brands have similar issues, but for a brand that's so reliable, you'd think they would hear the reviews across their product line reference odd transmission shifting. Ah well. Rambling on a bit about what's essentially the only thing that bothers me about Toyota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd say I drive 80/20% city/hwy, and never have I seen over 21mpg on my XLE AWD. Currently getting 20ish mpg running 35psi, temps around here are 20C. Though in the winter it drops to 17mpg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Frontier1709
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing