Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture showing where the headlight adjustment screws are located on the 2017 limited? My wife used to get flashed by on coming drivers. Took it to Toyota for adjustment and now they are too low. Dealer located over an hour away. Since I used to be a mechanic when I was young, I thought I could simply re-adjust at home....but it's not clear where the adjuster is located.... Picture worth a thousand words! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thank you for your response! I couldn't find anything online that would show me what I was looking for. You hit it right on the head. I hope I can return the favor someday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to add to this, we took our 2018 limited on it's first big highway drive, and there were a couple of cars flashing us, standard high beam flash. I checked and no, our high beams weren't on, and it was a mountain highway, in bad rain conditions with lots of glare. Made me think that our headlights weren't adjusted properly, but the car is brand new. Or is this just normal for a RAV4 that it will cause some cars grief with its lights?

·
Registered
214 Posts
LED headlights seem bright on low. I love it. No way would i take my new 2018 Limited to the dealer and ask them to adjust headlights lower. Ive had a few Toyotas with halogen headlights and they all suck in my opinion.Toyota finally got it right with these LED headlights

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just to add to this, we took our 2018 limited on it's first big highway drive, and there were a couple of cars flashing us, standard high beam flash. I checked and no, our high beams weren't on, and it was a mountain highway, in bad rain conditions with lots of glare. Made me think that our headlights weren't adjusted properly, but the car is brand new. Or is this just normal for a RAV4 that it will cause some cars grief with its lights?
Being brand new doesn't mean a thing these days. If you're getting flashed by oncoming traffic it means your headlights are aimed too high. They can be adjusted easily with a Phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
899 Posts
LED headlights seem bright on low. I love it. No way would i take my new 2018 Limited to the dealer and ask them to adjust headlights lower. Ive had a few Toyotas with halogen headlights and they all suck in my opinion.Toyota finally got it right with these LED headlights
If your headlights seem like brights on low then they are aimed too high. The led are a huge improvement over halogen for sure. I do wish they were a little less blue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just had my first nighttime highway drive in the Rav and was constantly getting flashed by people thinking I had high beams on. I switched my high beams on and off to check and was surprised how little difference there was in the light output. The high beams only lit up road signs a little further out. There was not much difference to the beam path in front of the Rav or to the sides. All my previous cars had a very noticeable difference between low beams and high beams but this is the first car I've owned with projector headlights (although being an LE, still Halogens as I understand). Shouldn't these be set correctly from the factory?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I just had my first nighttime highway drive in the Rav and was constantly getting flashed by people thinking I had high beams on. I switched my high beams on and off to check and was surprised how little difference there was in the light output. The high beams only lit up road signs a little further out. There was not much difference to the beam path in front of the Rav or to the sides. All my previous cars had a very noticeable difference between low beams and high beams but this is the first car I've owned with projector headlights (although being an LE, still Halogens as I understand). Shouldn't these be set correctly from the factory?
Yeah your lights are definitely in need of adjustment. Also keep in mind that on these cars both high and low beam use the same projector. It works OK with the led lights, but the halogens suck. Also the headlights should be correct from the factory, but it seems to not be the case with these cars. I installed an HID kit into my xle and they are much better than the halogens.

·
Registered
214 Posts
as far as i know and i could be wrong the LED headlight is a single LED "bulb". The brightness does not change when going from low to high. The only thing that changes is the cut off. Cut off moves up so light goes farther and when you adjust headlight, you are essentially adjust both low and high at the same time and not singling out low

·
Registered
899 Posts
as far as i know and i could be wrong the LED headlight is a single LED "bulb". The brightness does not change when going from low to high. The only thing that changes is the cut off. Cut off moves up so light goes farther and when you adjust headlight, you are essentially adjust both low and high at the same time and not singling out low
You are right for the most part. When you turn on high beams there is a shield, but it moves down not up. Also the person you replied to has an LE so they have halogens not LED bulbs. The halogens are very weak compared to the led lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive a 2017 Limited Hybrid and was getting flashed also when I first got it but the problem was resolve with lowering the adjustment a tiny bit.
Seems like a correction is needed at the factory. Mine came from Japan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My gf works on a First Nations reserve that's 6 hours away. I make the commute at least once a month. I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of getting constantly flashed. I bought my XLE Hybrid brand new last year and haven't done anything to it. It seems like a common problem with the RAV4's, especially the ones built in Japan.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My gf works on a First Nations reserve that's 6 hours away. I make the commute at least once a month. I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of getting constantly flashed. I bought my XLE Hybrid brand new last year and haven't done anything to it. It seems like a common problem with the RAV4's, especially the ones built in Japan.
A screwdriver and 5 minutes is all you need to correct it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the same problem when i first bought my 2017 last July. keep getting flashed by on coming traffic. took it back to the dealer and had them adjusted. Dealer tool me that the lights should drop 4" in 25 feet.
i just adjusted them myself yesterday after getting my car back from the body shop ( hit a deer :( )
the side where i hit the deer was correct but the passenger side was way to low.
there plenty of how to videos on the internet on how to adjust them yourself

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was always told 2" below optical center was DOT standard. Height to center should be 36". It's the little circle you can see on the lens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
that could be Lucky
i saw on the internet drivers side should be -4 and passenger side should be -2
when i adjusted mine lights the center dot was at 35" with a full tank of gas
could be a slight variance do to the type of suspension package one might have

·
Registered
158 Posts
any of you notice that many suvs today have bright lights that seem like high beam ??
not only rav4, but there's lots out there...
in the city I don't get flashed because there's so many other vehicles with the same glare...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts