Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

Purchased a 2017 Limited Hybrid in April and love it. I live in the desert area east of Los Angeles, CA and we have been dealing with our typical summer weather. However, when the temperature began creeping up to the 90's and 100's I noticed a weird situation. Every so often I feel a blast of hot air on the right side of my head as I'm driving. All my AC vents are blowing cold air and I thought I was getting it from the moonroof, but I'm not really feeling anything from that area. I also thought that maybe something is happening when I'm driving and that maybe it was when I was needing the H.P. for something and then system turns off the AC, but that isn't it either.

The AC is on with circulation and it occurs whether the selector is straight vents, or both floor and front vents.

Anyone else experiencing this and any suggestions?

I am 6'2" tall, so I do sit higher than my wife and she's not feeling it.

Thanks

Richard

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Is there any increase in road noise with this blast of hot air? If so, it could be a gap opening up in your door weatherstripping. Or maybe the sunroof.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Suggest using auto mode on the HVAC, combined with ECO mode on the hybrid system. That combination will get you much more efficient cooling, although slightly less robust.

FWIW the rear passenger vent on top of the dash does blow back over the center area, but that should be cold all the time too.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. Something to think about as we do get a lot of wind in the Palm Springs, CA area and maybe I'm getting gusts or some sort blowing through a seal. My wife thinks that maybe the warm air in the rear of the vehicle is being moved towards front, but wouldn't I feel that all the time? FYI, our temps out here are a little extreme sometimes. We are topping out at 109 today, but we also hit 122 degrees on 7/7/17. I do park the vehicle in the garage and the parking lot has solar panels as a shade covering so it's out of the sun, but outside temps are still really hot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Suggest using auto mode on the HVAC, combined with ECO mode on the hybrid system. That combination will get you much more efficient cooling, although slightly less robust.

FWIW the rear passenger vent on top of the dash does blow back over the center area, but that should be cold all the time too.
I've noticed the auto mode tends to blast the A/C more than I need. When I adjust the fan speed/blower down, the light indicating auto goes out. Wouldn't it be more efficient if I turn down the fan/blower even if it is no longer on auto? I haven't used the ECO mode for any driving after trying it out.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I've noticed the auto mode tends to blast the A/C more than I need. When I adjust the fan speed/blower down, the light indicating auto goes out. Wouldn't it be more efficient if I turn down the fan/blower even if it is no longer on auto? I haven't used the ECO mode for any driving after trying it out.
I suggest adjusting the temperature only when in Auto. That will in turn adjust the fan speed to where it needs to be. Works for me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Simple science...

When a vehicle accelerates, turns, brakes, etc. the air inside does not stay in one place, this is the shift in air temps you're feeling. Your height, you feel it in places that have exposed skin, i.e. near the hot zone at the roofline of the car. Do you have a short haircut or sensitive skin in that area? I know it sounds far fetched, but... it feels like a BLAST, because the really hot air from the back is "sloshing" to the front / rear as you drive....

Here is a demo:

Peace!:nerd

·
Registered
182 Posts
I suggest adjusting the temperature only when in Auto. That will in turn adjust the fan speed to where it needs to be. Works for me!
This is the first car I've had with an actual temperature control. After briefly experimenting with it I decided I had little interest in constantly playing with the temp setting. Most of my trips are less than an hour ( many times less than 1/2 hour) and most of the time require no A/C at all. When it really requires A/C it blasts very cold air even though I've left the control at 77. Quickly dropping the fan to low speed keeps the car cooled just fine for my tastes.

I don't want to do anything that might be bad for the car, but micro tuning temps just isn't necessary for my kind of driving. Especially since I'm usually the only one in the car.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
This is the first car I've had with an actual temperature control. After briefly experimenting with it I decided I had little interest in constantly playing with the temp setting. Most of my trips are less than an hour ( many times less than 1/2 hour) and most of the time require no A/C at all. When it really requires A/C it blasts very cold air even though I've left the control at 77. Quickly dropping the fan to low speed keeps the car cooled just fine for my tastes.
Yes my RAV4 was the first auto climate control car for me. If I have it set to 77, and start it up after sitting in the hot sun, the A/C will go to maximum cooling with the blower at full blast. After driving a while, as the temp goes down and approaches 77, the fan will gradually slow down and run only as fast as it needs to in order to hold 77 degrees. Of course opening the windows and letting some of that hot air out will help it cool down faster. I very rarely need to adjust the blower speed manually.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Failing to use auto mode will eliminate all HVAC energy savings from the use of ECO mode. So no matter what you do you're using more energy if its not in auto mode. Auto will turn down the blower and won't run the compressor near as much. You just have to let it do its thing. It also changes behavior a lot depending on the outside temp. Trust it. Turn the temp up a couple degrees if you think its working too hard.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Failing to use auto mode will eliminate all HVAC energy savings from the use of ECO mode. So no matter what you do you're using more energy if its not in auto mode. Auto will turn down the blower and won't run the compressor near as much. You just have to let it do its thing. It also changes behavior a lot depending on the outside temp. Trust it. Turn the temp up a couple degrees if you think its working too hard.
So to get any HVAC savings one has to use the ECO mode? I try to be efficient with my use of the gas pedal, but am not that impressed with how the ECO mode works. If I'm not mistaken, all it does is change the required foot pressure/movement to achieve the same power output result. My preference is to know exactly how the pedal will always respond and adjust my driving as road condition require it.

During my original experimentation I was constantly messing with the temp gauge which is why I ultimately decided to leave it alone and just crank down on the blower. I guess I can try playing with it again but my preference is to just turn it on, pick a setting, and be dome with it. I don't like constantly fidgeting with it or any gauge/setting.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So to get any HVAC savings one has to use the ECO mode? .
Its all in the owner's manual. ECO mode forces specific energy savings - but only when using "auto" on the HVAC.

For example you can use manual HVAC and turn the blower way down, but still be using WAY more energy because the compressor is running full blast. At max speed the compressor uses something close to 300w. The blower uses almost nothing in comparison.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its all in the owner's manual. ECO mode forces specific energy savings - but only when using "auto" on the HVAC.

For example you can use manual HVAC and turn the blower way down, but still be using WAY more energy because the compressor is running full blast. At max speed the compressor uses something close to 300w. The blower uses almost nothing in comparison.
I was aware that A/C savings only came from being in ECO. I wasn't as aware that the compressor could be working so hard even with the blower turned down. I guess I'll give ECO mode another try. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I was aware that A/C savings only came from being in ECO. I wasn't as aware that the compressor could be working so hard even with the blower turned down. I guess I'll give ECO mode another try. Thanks for the feedback.
I think you do get some energy saving from using either ECO or HVAC auto, but combining them is the best. I'd say that using auto is the best even if you don't use ECO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning.

Purchased a 2017 Limited Hybrid in April and love it. I live in the desert area east of Los Angeles, CA and we have been dealing with our typical summer weather. However, when the temperature began creeping up to the 90's and 100's I noticed a weird situation. Every so often I feel a blast of hot air on the right side of my head as I'm driving. All my AC vents are blowing cold air and I thought I was getting it from the moonroof, but I'm not really feeling anything from that area. I also thought that maybe something is happening when I'm driving and that maybe it was when I was needing the H.P. for something and then system turns off the AC, but that isn't it either.

The AC is on with circulation and it occurs whether the selector is straight vents, or both floor and front vents.

Anyone else experiencing this and any suggestions?

I am 6'2" tall, so I do sit higher than my wife and she's not feeling it.

Thanks

Richard

I experience the same phenomenon when the large vent on the dash is in the open position, doesn't matter if the climate control is on Auto or not.

2017 Rav4 Hybrid.

I'm also 6'2"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yesterday, while driving on the highway at an average 100 km/hr, there were 2 times I felt a like a fan came on and sent hot air into the interior. The flow of air was from behind the front seats, not from the front vents. I had the AC on "Auto" at the time. I have checked the door/hatch seals and everything is fine.

I am wondering if there is a fan to cool the batteries that comes on from time to time and if that is the culprit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts