Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha all,
Newbie here -picking up a new 17 LE Hybrid 2wd for the wife on Saturday, trading in her 07 Rav4 Reg. Noticed the LE does not have the fog light kit like the XLE's. Assuming these are interchangeable parts and most likely pre-wired except for the switch, has anyone down the install yet? Any tips on the install or which kit to purchase?

thx in advanced, did a lot of reading and searching already, great info on here!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't look like it is pre-wired. The installation doesn't seem to bad if you can follow directions. I would get a aftermarket kit as it does the exact same job on eBay than an OEM kit. It can be had for a 1/4 of the price. Here are the Toyota instructions.

wow, thank you for the file, the hardware portion looks easy enough but wow the electrical side looks kinda intense for the oem, good advice,most likely will look for a aftermarket look a like model and avoid taking the dash fully apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
went with a oem kit off ebay, $51, free ship, will update once I receive and install.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any luck with the install? I went the same route, and got one from eBay as well.

The unit looks good, and lights up fine when I hook it up to a 12V source on the bench. But I have two problems:
- how to route the wires through the firewall? The existing cable bundle and hood release go through a surprisingly tight hole
- what auxiliary power source can I tap into?

I've seen czgu's video, but it's for a 2015

My wire harnesses look different on the 2017. Also has the Lane Departure button instead of Traction Control.
Any of you electrical gurus out there have suggestions?

And I agree with the OP - the instructions for the OEM installation looks waaay more complicated than it needs to be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any luck with the install? I went the same route, and got one from eBay as well.

The unit looks good, and lights up fine when I hook it up to a 12V source on the bench. But I have two problems:
- how to route the wires through the firewall? The existing cable bundle and hood release go through a surprisingly tight hole
- what auxiliary power source can I tap into?

I've seen czgu's video, but it's for a 2015

My wire harnesses look different on the 2017. Also has the Lane Departure button instead of Traction Control.
Any of you electrical gurus out there have suggestions?

And I agree with the OP - the instructions for the OEM installation looks way more complicated than it needs to be.
sadly I'm still waiting on the package to arrive, I think it went reg post (23 days) vs. the promised priority mail (3-5 days). I have the same questions on the wiring as you, didn't get a chance take a good look at it yet. Hope someone else has also tried this and will save us some thinking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't look like it is pre-wired. The installation doesn't seem to bad if you can follow directions. I would get a aftermarket kit as it does the exact same job on eBay than an OEM kit. It can be had for a 1/4 of the price. Here are the Toyota instructions.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/my16 rav4 fog lights issc.pdf
the kit finally arrived and I had some time to install the lights and sure enough the oem pigtails are hanging right there which gives me hope I can stay almost completely factory. I didn't have enough time to try and go the oem wire route and check to see if it's all there ( BEHIND THE GAUGES) so I just stopped there. The light portion was pretty easy to pull out the oem blanks and replace with the fog lights, just a few plastic tab/clips on the front fascia and 1 push pin on the top, maybe 30 minutes total, keep the tires on, just turned them left or right and pull back the liner. I'm going to take my time and look up the older install thread posted here somewhere and the u tube video to see if I can mange that route before trying to use the aftermarket harness. We'll see!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the job done, but it was a lot more complicated than I anticipated.

Using the aftermarket kit, I wanted to avoid any splicing into factory wires or permanent modifications that could conceivably void my warranty.

I installed the lights by removing the small covers underneath the corners of the car. No need to remove the front bumper.

Running the wires through the firewall was the labor intensive part. I had to remove the entire cowel, wiper motor etc. Some say you can do it without, but not sure how your access that rubber nipple at the 9:00 minute mark.
<iframe width="939" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nRfsJ2iTJt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't mess with any of the fuses in the engine compartment! I fiddled around, and caused a bunch of error codes which I thankfully was able to clear out by disconnecting the battery.

Then used a fuse adapter for the positive terminal. I tapped into the fuse for the rear wiper. So the fog lights only activate when ignition is on, just so I don't drain the battery if I forget to turn them off.

Admin edit:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the job done, but it was a lot more complicated than I anticipated.

Using the aftermarket kit, I wanted to avoid any splicing into factory wires or permanent modifications that could conceivably void my warranty.

I installed the lights by removing the small covers underneath the corners of the car. No need to remove the front bumper.

Running the wires through the firewall was the labor intensive part. I had to remove the entire cowel, wiper motor etc. Some say you can do it without, but not sure how your access that rubber nipple at the 9:00 minute mark.
<iframe width="939" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nRfsJ2iTJt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't mess with any of the fuses in the engine compartment! I fiddled around, and caused a bunch of error codes which I thankfully was able to clear out by disconnecting the battery.

Then used a fuse adapter for the positive terminal. I tapped into the fuse for the rear wiper. So the fog lights only activate when ignition is on, just so I don't drain the battery if I forget to turn them off.

Admin edit:

Glad to hear you had success! I started to do the wire install trying to use the oem stuff as listed on the other post but I'm hung up on the G78 harness connection when my switch illuminated and stayed on. Got scared and stopped.
Can i ask for a little more info on your install?
So the positive terminal you tapped in was the rear wiper, was that under the dash or under the hood in one of the blocks?
thx again

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's the small fuse box in the driver dash, by the left kick panel. Looks like a lot of the fuses there are for functions that only work when ignition is on, which is what I wanted for the fog lights.

Just don't touch any fuse labelled ECU!

Using a fuse adapter was a lot easier than tapping into those tiny wires and harness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how did this end up? Was there a successful install? Any videos or pictures?
Sorry - no I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, looks god from the outside! lol
It's my wife's car so it's not a priority for me. I'll most likely use the provided aftermarket harness as the other member did to avoid messing up any electricals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts