Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2017 Hybrid Limited in for a routine service and they're telling me the water pump is bad and want $600 to replace it and the serpentine belt. Is there anything different for the water pump replacement on a hybrid vs the gas only version of the Rav? I've done water pumps and timing belts on my cars in the past so I'm comfortable spending a Saturday afternoon doing it to save $500 in labor costs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The job should be easier on a hybrid as the waterpump is the only belt-driven accesory. Btw, there is no belt at all on Lexus hybrids as they use electric water pump.

Refilling coolant is a bit trickier as it requires putting the engine into "inspection" mode - otherwise the ICE just doesn't run hard enough at idle to circulate the coolant.

I would advise spending $20 and get documentation from techinfo.toyota.com, save it as PDF and post here for future use by others.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,058 Posts
I just had my 2017 Hybrid Limited in for a routine service and they're telling me the water pump is bad and want $600 to replace it and the serpentine belt. Is there anything different for the water pump replacement on a hybrid vs the gas only version of the Rav? I've done water pumps and timing belts on my cars in the past so I'm comfortable spending a Saturday afternoon doing it to save $500 in labor costs.
This is a pretty common dealership scam. They tell you this when they see a little weeping on the water pump shaft. Well its completely normal to see a little weeping. Unless you have coolant vanishing to the point where you have to keep refilling it, you don't need a new pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In this case it isn't a scam. There's a nice pink stripe on the hood and engine bay where the pulley is slinging coolant. I had a discussion with the dealership and pointed out that:
A: There's no way the pump would fail at 69k unless it was faulty from the factory.
B: If they didn't get Toyota to pay for it I'd do it Saturday in my garage so they'd not get the work. (I overheard a couple of their techs complaining that they've been really slow and had been sent home early several days in a row)
I got a call back yesterday and Toyota is covering it completely. Looking at where it is though it looks like the swap out would be really easy. It's right on top (of the belt end of the engine) so getting the belt on and off would probably take longer than swapping the pump.

Thanks for the replies though. Maybe it'll help the next guy who has this if it becomes a recurring issue like earlier Ravs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old thread I know.
I was wondering, does anyone know why Toyota opted for a mechanically driven waterpump on this generation RAV4 and on other cars with the exact same drivetrain they used electric waterpumps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Old thread I know.
I was wondering, does anyone know why Toyota opted for a mechanically driven waterpump on this generation RAV4 and on other cars with the exact same drivetrain they used electric waterpumps.
Probably a cost $$$ thing,

·
Registered
33 Posts
All other vehicles with the same drivetrain have the electric pump so if cost was an issue why did the Camry have an electric pump?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts