Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Hybrid and new to Rav4 XLE. So far, loving them both! I have noticed that when I press the EV Mode button, it kicks out if I go over ~22 MPH, or if I press the accelerator too quickly, or if the battery is low. So, I can only use in certain instances and for short bursts. Being new to Hybrid, is this normal? Just wondering what others are experiencing.

In playing around just a little with EV, I maintain an average MPG >33, but hit a whopping 45 MPG on a short (<10 mile) city street trip the other day... :smile

What is your experience with EV?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Read the manual. Then forget about the EV button and learn to drive so that it flips into EV mode by itself. You can find loads of info on driving the Toyota hybrid system by searching for Prius.

·
Registered
23 Posts
New to Hybrid and new to Rav4 XLE. So far, loving them both! I have noticed that when I press the EV Mode button, it kicks out if I go over ~22 MPH, or if I press the accelerator too quickly, or if the battery is low. So, I can only use in certain instances and for short bursts. Being new to Hybrid, is this normal? Just wondering what others are experiencing.

In playing around just a little with EV, I maintain an average MPG >33, but hit a whopping 45 MPG on a short (<10 mile) city street trip the other day... :smile

What is your experience with EV?
What you experience is normal EV mode behavior.

One thing that I have noticed about the RAV4 hybrid is that it likes to go into EV mode on its own a lot more than the '09 Highlander hybrid did. With the Highlander, I used the EV button in parking lots and some residential areas. With the RAV4, I have only used the EV button a couple of times. The RAV4 almost always goes into EV mode by itself in the situations where I would have had to select it manually on the Highlander.

In my opinion, you can ignore the EV button on the RAV4 and just let it do its thing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would imagine the EV mode was made for other purposes. Like moving a car out of the way if you have a tight driveway and it's blocking something. Or to go get the mail from the mailbox if you are 100. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been able to easily cruise ~ 33 MPH and keep mine in EV mode all without using the EV button. I find using the EV button will allow you to depress the acceleration pedal a little more, but it's extremely limited in top speed allowed. I only use the EV mode for things like leaving sporting events, concerts, etc. where there might be a slight incline but you're never really going fast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've managed to do EV mode at 40 MPH on a straightway by modulating the go-pedal and keeping the left gauge right on ECO. I use EV mode when I am pulling into my driveway and into my garage to keep the ICE from kicking in... really the only use for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts