Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=&quot]The 2017 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study shows Lexus and Porsche tied for first place, followed by Toyota which leads the non-luxury brands. Good to see that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I suppose the dependability of a vehicle during the first 3 years should be a good predictor of longer term dependability.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I think that a good alternative way to measure long term dependability (without any need to get input from owners) might be to simply gather statistics showing the percentage of vehicles for each model that are still running (registered) after, say, 5, 10, 15 and 20 years.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2017 Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ank-as-most-dependable-brands-j.d.-power-says[/FONT]

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
If you want true reliablility data, you can't beat TrueDelta. I've been a member since day one and Michael Karesh has built an excellent site with accurate information:

https://www.truedelta.com/

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, Toyotas can also be unreliable.
2005-2008 RAV4s anyone? The number of recalls must have peaked in that period.
wasn't that mostly because of the floor mats?
Also, you can't consider recalls as "not reliable" to the contrary, it's called beeing proactive.
How many 2005 are still on the road 12 years later with more than 250k km on them? A lot, THAT is reliability in my book

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
J.D. Power may be correct this time, but based upon prior experiences they have a spotty record in my book. I prefer other sources such as Consumer Reports and my own personal experience. My '11 RAV - perfectly reliable so far . . .

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
When people ask me about Toyota reliability, I ask them when was the last time they saw a Toyota broken down on the side of the road. They usually can't remember. The last one I saw recently was a ragged-out '84 Corolla.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is hard to determine which studies/research entities are the most reliable because they don’t seem willing to give too much detail about their methodology, nor does there seem to be a kind of standardized way of assessing this kind of research. I checked the J D Power site and found some answers in the FAQ section, especially in the second part of that section, but not nearly detailed enough to satisfy my curiosity About Us I FAQ - General Questions | J.D. Power

I also checked the TrueDelta site (thanks for the tip, I’d never heard of it) and it seems to contain useful information, but again the problem is they are pretty tight-lipped about how they arrive at their conclusions.
This is important because of course there could be many ways in which studies could be statistically biased even if they were designed with the best intentions, without any attempt at bias. And so if the methodology cannot be replicated and analysed, because it is not disclosed, we’d never find out. On the other hand, the rankings given in the latest JD Power study pretty much agree with what we are used to seeing. I was a bit surprised, though, to see Buick in 4th place overall.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
It is hard to determine which studies/research entities are the most reliable because they don’t seem willing to give too much detail about their methodology, nor does there seem to be a kind of standardized way of assessing this kind of research. I checked the J D Power site and found some answers in the FAQ section, especially in the second part of that section, but not nearly detailed enough to satisfy my curiosity About Us I FAQ - General Questions | J.D. Power

Consumer Reports is very open about their methodology, as can be found easily be doing an internet search: What's Behind the Ratings - Consumer Reports

·
Registered
184 Posts
Driving Toyota`s since 94, only Toyota`s and they never let me down. Was there something i wasn`t happy about? Sure, there are downsides for every model, things that should be added and things not really needed. But overall.. Never had any issues. Currently own 2010 FJ Cruiser with 118k on it, with a lot of offroad miles, always brought me home and 2017 RAV4 XLE which i enjoy very much. Planning to pick up CH-R this fall for my daughter :smile

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Yes, Toyotas can also be unreliable.
2005-2008 RAV4s anyone? The number of recalls must have peaked in that period.
We lived through the Recalls and TSB's of our 2006. This was year one of the 4.4. Since then, well, just plain perfect. :wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts