Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power lift gate on my '17 Rav4 XLE quit working with no warning signs prior to it malfunctioning. Went to put something in the back and while walking towards the car I hit the button on the remote and nothing happened. Thought maybe I hit it too early before I was in range so when I got to the back I depressed the release on the door and it released, but did not raise. I pushed the door back and it automatically closed as normal. Started the process again but door would never raise, nor could I raise it manually. I could move it about an inch or so and then solid resistance. After going into the settings and verifying everything was still on for the power lift gate I still could not get the door up. Pushing the release button in the vehicle only resulting in about a 4 second long tone and nothing else; not even the door being released. Same result while using the remote.

Took vehicle to Toyota on November 16th and they still have my Rav4. On the day I took it in and they were able to diagnose the issue, the tech stated they have never seen the error code that was being read and they had to call Toyota to figure out what was going on. Today I was told they are still waiting on parts from Toyota, but I have not been told yet what the exact issue was that caused the failure and inability to even raise the door.

Per the service advisor, my Rav4 also had to get some repair work done in the body shop because of the door hinge getting bent and/or misaligned. I'm not so sure that this may have be done by them trying to get the lift gate up since I don't believe you can even get to the power struts without the lift gate being up at least part of the way.

Anyway - when I find out what was the issue and what all had to be done I will follow up but from what I'm being told this is the first time they've seen the on a Rav4.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You should do more tests before sending it to the dealer! For example, you could disable power lift gate, then manually open/close it. Or you could disconnect battery for 5 minutes, then re-connect the battery and try open it. Disabling power lift gate and cutting off power are two ways to reset power lift gate control box. I don't know why dealer couldn't find problem. They can use a good control box to try, or check if two motorized struts work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would have been worth a try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery but a power strut, or both were locked up. As mentioned, I did disable the power lift in the control panel but it changed nothing and still could not manually lift the door. I've read of recent years of Highlanders having rear lift gate issues but not so much with the Rav4. Curious if there are any common issues between the two. Also wondering when they get it fixed, what has Toyota implemented to prevent this sort of failure from happening again. Hopefully I'll find out in the next several days.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have 2017 RAV4 Limited. Power lift gate failure had happened twice in my RAV4. It opened half way, then closed half way and opened again ... any key lost control (couldn't stop it). I had to walk away, waited in distance for minutes. It stopped and backed to normal. I've not found any problem. Maybe the problem caused by key???? Or cold weather??

·
Registered
208 Posts
So any update on what happened?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after 4 weeks I finally got my '17 RAV4 back. Per the dealership the applicable TSB was T-SB-0275-17, dated August 18, 2017, and I received a copy of it and attached as well. The title is "RAV4 Power Back Door Actuator Mount Separation", and is applicable to certain 2016-2017 RAV4 HV and 2013-2017 RAV4. There is also further information regarding the bulletin applying to vehicles produced before certain VIN numbers and at various assembly plants prior to a Production Change. I also received a printout from the collision department of what work had to be performed, which basically amounted to getting a completely new rear hatch and power lift cylinders. Per the report, the "Liftgate is Twisted". It was also noted on the report the spoiler had been making contact with the roof, perhaps when something was working loose or beginning to fail. I had never notice this however. As I mentioned in my previous posts, there was no indication anything was about to fail. The door had closed fine the last time I used it and the next time I went to open it it was essentially non-operable, even manually. All said, if this hadn't been under warranty it would have cost almost $4,600 to repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2017 RAV4 and the dealership would not correct. Perhaps with the information you posted and the technical service bulletin I may get the repair needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update, returning my 2017 RAV 4 to AutoNations Fort Myers today for the service manager to "reevaluate/determine" that in fact the liftgate problem should be repaired under warranty. It is only because "17Rav4Owner" posted along with the tech service bulletin (T-SB-0275-17) that I have some hope for a positive outcome. I will let RAV4WORLD know the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just received word that the liftgate problem will be covered under warranty. Picking the RAV4 up until the parts are received with an appointment at the collision center for the 24th of this month. Thank you again 17RavOwner. Will post again once my vehicle is repaired and returned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update of liftgate. Returned RV4 to service department on Tuesday 2.25.20. received vehicle back on Friday 2.28.20 and liftgate is operating properly. There was no additional/external paint, etc. problems that needed to be addressed. Once again, thank you rav4world and 17rav4owner for your posts that lead to my issue being resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update of liftgate. Returned RV4 to service department on Tuesday 2.25.20. received vehicle back on Friday 2.28.20 and liftgate is operating properly. There was no additional/external paint, etc. problems that needed to be addressed. Once again, thank you rav4world and 17rav4owner for your posts that lead to my issue being resolved.
Hey Marvin, was your Rav4 produced from one of the plants listed on the report? I'm having the same issue but my Rav was produced out of Canada. I'm hoping they can still cover it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have a 2017 Rav4 produced in Canada. My left Liftgate cylinder started making loud "clunking" noise upon opening ( generally in warmer weather only). Had it replaced under warranty last Fall ( 2019). After replacement it operated normally until last week ( weather is now hot again). It now exhibits same noise as previous unit and will be replaced again tomorrow under warranty. Anyone else have this problem? I'm concerned as the Dealer told me the lift gate cylinder ( 1 unit) cost $1447.CDN + tax + Install labor when out of warranty. This is truly ridiculous !! ( another strange symptom is the outer casing of the faulty unit will not rotate a full 360degrees as per the good unit. )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts