Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been wandering the forums for the past couple days now reading posts and everything, so I'd like to say hello! I got my hybrid a few weeks ago ($32400 encase anyone was wondering). I have a lot of questions but one of the most important ones is about the towing. I've read a little information on towing and I didn't realize how limited I would be in my options.
You see, I work on the road a lot and would like to purchase something that I can tow but also have cooking and showering needs met. It looks like the max weight I can tow is 1750 which proves it difficult to get a decent camper.
Is there anything I can do with the tow installment to increase the max tow weight?

Does anyone have nice suggestions on small campers or something to tow that might meet my needs? I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if you want to tow a travel trailer, you got the wrong car... you can't really do anything to change the tow rating. I own a small travel trailer and even at 2300lbs (2600lbs fully loaded) I would not go any bigger with my V6 and 3500lbs rating.

you can probably find something with a shower and basic kitchen in a pop up trailer, but don't forget to add anything in the car and in the trailer into the towed weight...

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Welcome!
Since buying a used RAV4 V6 (2006-2012) with a 3,500 lb towing capacity probably isn't a option at this point you are very constrained with trailers. Especially since finding one with a shower under even 2000 lbs loaded is likely impossible.
When I first started my mobile dyno business 20 years ago spending 60 days a year on the road, a shower was the one reason I had to stay at campgrounds. About all the little lightweight trailers have is a bed, a portable toilet and a stove, maybe a refer, but not a shower. I built a bed in my car, ate at the many places available at any motorcycle event and used toilets which were everywhere. With campgrounds providing the showers I was all set. A trailer didn't add anything and besides I had to tow the dynamometer, about 1500 lbs.
So, depending on where, when and in what weather you're traveling just using campgrounds might be a good option.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
My R4h is rated 1650kg with original mounted towbar. That is 3637 Ibs.
Apparently Norwegian lawyers haven't cut your towing capacity in half like our US counterparts have. And many US owners get scared of towing over the limit for fear lawyers will nullify their insurance in a one-pound-over accident.
But it is informative that apparently being a hybrid doesn't actually reduce towing capacity as it does on some turboed 4-cyl cars.

Reactions: vanib

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome!
Since buying a used RAV4 V6 (2006-2012) with a 3,500 lb towing capacity probably isn't a option at this point you are very constrained with trailers. Especially since finding one with a shower under even 2000 lbs loaded is likely impossible.
When I first started my mobile dyno business 20 years ago spending 60 days a year on the road, a shower was the one reason I had to stay at campgrounds. About all the little lightweight trailers have is a bed, a portable toilet and a stove, maybe a refer, but not a shower. I built a bed in my car, ate at the many places available at any motorcycle event and used toilets which were everywhere. With campgrounds providing the showers I was all set. A trailer didn't add anything and besides I had to tow the dynamometer, about 1500 lbs.
So, depending on where, when and in what weather you're traveling just using campgrounds might be a good option.
Of course campgrounds are difficult considering in the north lands all we have are freezing temps. However, even without a shower I am looking for the best type of trailer I should purchase meeting the requirements of the rav4 2017 model. There are truck stops who have showers but they're expensive. Campgrounds are closed :p

I can manage maybe if I can get some sort of heater inside the camper of course!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are the ratings it seems:
gross vehicle weight (kg): 2250 (gvw (kg))
published curb weight (kg): 1780 (curb wt (kg))
gross trailer weight braked (kg): 680 (GTW braked)
gross trailer weight unbraked (kg): 272 (GTW unbraked)
payload allowance (kg): 469 (payload (kg))
gross vehicle weight (lbs): 4960 (gvw (lbs))
published curb weight (lbs): 3925 (curb wt (lbs))
gross trailer weight braked (lbs): 1500 (GTW braked)
gross trailer weight unbraked (lbs): 600 (GTW unbraked)
payload allowance (lbs): 1035 (payload (lbs))

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My other option is buying a camper and towing the vehicle with that but I've read that all 4 wheels have to be off the ground? I'm seriously at such a loss at what I should do!

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Where are you traveling? Do you move every day or stay in one area a while? Is this a new job and if not how did you meet your needs before buying the RAV4? If you did buy a motorhome why would you need to tow the RAV4?

·
Registered
71 Posts
First the disclaimer, my advice is worth exactly what was paid for it (ie. my advice is worthless) and this post is for entertainment purposes only and I am not responsible if use of your RAV4 results in any injury from my worthless advice.

OK, having said that, one thing that you will notice if you compare the specifications of many many models of vehicles in the US/Canada vs the same model in Europe is that tow ratings of the same vehicle in Europe are much much higher. So the question is why is that? I highly doubt that European vehicles are constructed much more robustly than the same model sold in US/Canada. Rather I believe it is largely one of marketing/perception. In US/Canada consumers want much more power and size, but in reality don't need it. US/Canada consumers are also more likely to buy larger vehicles than they need. So manufacturers are more inclined to lower tow ratings so that they can upsell you to a larger more expensive and profitable vehicle. i.e. Say you want to tow 2000lbs, in US/Canada the manufacturer want to push you to buying a Highlander, 4Runner, or Sequoia. In Europe due to smaller cities and less ability to upsell to the larger vehicle, manufacturer rate the vehicles more realistically (i.e much higher tow ratings).

If you look at the tow specifications of a RAV4 hybrid from Toyota UK you will find tow ratings are:
750kg = 1650 lb (trailer no brakes)
1650kg = 3630 lb (trailer with brakes) (more than double tow rating)

So the ultimate question is why is tow rating only 1750 lb in the US/Canada? I highly doubt it is because the models in the US/Canada are less powerful, have inferior cooling, inferior transmission, inferior brakes, etc. Again the obvious answer is that Toyota want to upsell you a Highlander, Sequoia etc. Now of course I recognize a Sequoia is going to tow 3000lb trailer with brakes better than a RAV4, but again as long as you not expecting the same acceleration and/braking distance of a Sequoia (ie. you driving sensibly) then you are most likely safe to follow European tow ratings.

And of course my official answer so that I don't get sued, is you bought the wrong vehicle, you should have bought a Sequoia or as any North American knows if you want to tow something you absolutely need a Ford F-150 plus you look much more macho while you do so... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Definitely agree, Algonquin.
It's not that their vehicles are stronger, just our drivers are wimpier. We can't be taking 12 seconds to get to 100KPH or 62MPH just because we're towing a trailer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Heck, you want to talk about unsafe accelation try a 1984 toyota tercel wagon 4WD. ;-)

According to my stopwatch 0-100 kph was 18sec and that is empty with just me in it, not too far off from 0-60 of 16.4 from below source.
http://www.top0-60times.com/toyota-tercel-0-60-times/

Heck that was sooo underpowered, but yet many fond memories as I learned to drive on that and took me back and forth to university. As anyone who knows highway 401 in Ontario, it is quite flat, but in a tercel wagon 4wd, it felt very mountainous with need for much floored driving to crest those mountains without losing much speed. In university i even had 9 guys in it, not just in it but drove it to go see a movie from Waterloo to Kitchener. In a way I'm surprised we all survived our university years...

It's not that their vehicles are stronger, just our drivers are wimpier. We can't be taking 12 seconds to get to 100KPH or 62MPH just because we're towing a trailer.

(I tried to hit your "THANKS" button but when I touched up your post as a moderator the button went away. In any case consider yourself THANKED!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
One piece of advice I have to offer regarding towing, consider purchasing a set of air bags for the rear shocks, especially if your vehicle has LED headlights. I found the rear springs to be pretty lite-weight. It won't take much tongue weight to point your headlights up in to the person in front of you and on coming traffic.

Not a fun experience. I had to travel about 400 miles on my first trip with people flashing their lights at me. Granted it was a luggage rack on my hitch, not a trailer, but there wasn't that much weight on on the rack. In fact even when it was empty I still had people flashing me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

(I tried to hit your "THANKS" button but when I touched up your post as a moderator the button went away. In any case consider yourself THANKED!)
I tried to thank as well. Thanks!

Now keep in mind, I bought the RAV4 for the purpose of it BEING A HYBRID. The other models didn't fit my budget nor were they what I wanted. I also expected an SUV to tow at least 2000 lbs which many RV's fit into. I should have done my research.
Buying a hybrid, in order to make that work effectively I have to drive slow anyways so driving sensibly shouldnt be an issue for anyone doing this.

If what you are saying is true, does anyone else have an opinion against driving with a 2000lb trailer with all of the cargo inside the car so an exact tow weight of 2000? If I'm doing anything over the rated amount I'd ensure the trailer has brakes.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I tried to thank as well. Thanks!

Now keep in mind, I bought the RAV4 for the purpose of it BEING A HYBRID. The other models didn't fit my budget nor were they what I wanted. I also expected an SUV to tow at least 2000 lbs which many RV's fit into. I should have done my research.
Buying a hybrid, in order to make that work effectively I have to drive slow anyways so driving sensibly shouldnt be an issue for anyone doing this.

If what you are saying is true, does anyone else have an opinion against driving with a 2000lb trailer with all of the cargo inside the car so an exact tow weight of 2000? If I'm doing anything over the rated amount I'd ensure the trailer has brakes.
good luck finding a 2000lbs rv, mine is 2600lbs dry (and we are talking about a really small 16' one) about 3000lbs loaded with battery and propane. then there is the payload capacity, if you have a 800lbs, you and your stuff is 500lbs, then you add 350lbs for the tongue weight of the rv, the hitch, the weight distribution system, and you are over!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts