Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the nifty features on my Rav4 is the mileage/miles to empty display.

I had a "33 km to empty" message and the "add fuel" (or whatever light and warning). I figured I'd drive to my local Costco which sells cheap fuel. That is a 32 km trip.

:surprise

Anyhow I keep 2 liters of "emergency fuel" in my car so I figured I'd be OK if I ran out.

I got to Costco with 2 km to spare and a "Refuel" message (i.e. you are running on vapors).

Here's the thing: when I filled the tank I added 50 liters. Its a 60 liter tank. That suggests to me I had 10 more liters or at least 100 km (in Eco mode I'm usually getting better than 9 liters/100 km).

Is it just me or is Toyota being pessimistic?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I suspect they always are pessimistic. They know there's a large population of hard headed people missing the last french fry. They are going to push to zero and then some. If Toyota (insert any brand name there) were totally accurate they wouldn't be able to keep up with all the calls and complaints by people running out of fuel, on purpose, because of that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my other Toyotas when the light comes on you have 50 to 100 km based on how much fuel I have to put it. It looks to me that is closer to 150 - 200 with the Rav4.

Not that I want to drive it to empty to find out ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of the nifty features on my Rav4 is the mileage/miles to empty display.

I had a "33 km to empty" message and the "add fuel" (or whatever light and warning). I figured I'd drive to my local Costco which sells cheap fuel. That is a 32 km trip.

:surprise

Anyhow I keep 2 liters of "emergency fuel" in my car so I figured I'd be OK if I ran out.

I got to Costco with 2 km to spare and a "Refuel" message (i.e. you are running on vapors).

Here's the thing: when I filled the tank I added 50 liters. Its a 60 liter tank. That suggests to me I had 10 more liters or at least 100 km (in Eco mode I'm usually getting better than 9 liters/100 km).

Is it just me or is Toyota being pessimistic?
As a side note, why do you drive so far to get gas at Costco? I guess if you were going there anyhow to go shopping, then I could understand but I can't stand buying gas at costco. Lineups are way too long, like you, costco is out of my way (i.e. it's not like I am going somewhere already, like work, and I stopped along the way), and savings are not enough for me to go out of my way.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
As a side note, why do you drive so far to get gas at Costco? I guess if you were going there anyhow to go shopping, then I could understand but I can't stand buying gas at costco. Lineups are way too long, like you, costco is out of my way (i.e. it's not like I am going somewhere already, like work, and I stopped along the way), and savings are not enough for me to go out of my way.

You got that right, driving miles to save a few cents on gas is crazy, not to mention how crazy it is to wait in line when you get there! :rolleyes: I've only used Chevron gas for the last 30 some years, drive right past one every time I leave or come home, using Safeway gas credits I save a dollar on each gallon which more than pays for the slightly higher cost of Chevron gas. :wink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts