Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Rav4 limited hybrid, white with black interior, for about a month. I am very frustrated with a smell in the interior. This is not at all a typical "new car" smell. It has a very chemical smell, almost like burnt rubber. It has not improved after a month of hot weather. I can smell it on my clothes and suspect it is from the SofTex? This cannot be a healthy exposure. Anyone else with this issue. I am hoping this goes away, and soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 2017 Rav4 limited hybrid, white with black interior, for about a month. I am very frustrated with a smell in the interior. This is not at all a typical "new car" smell. It has a very chemical smell, almost like burnt rubber. It has not improved after a month of hot weather. I can smell it on my clothes and suspect it is from the SofTex? This cannot be a healthy exposure. Anyone else with this issue. I am hoping this goes away, and soon.

I have a 2016 Limited but with the tan Softex interior and have not experienced any chemical smell. Perhaps it could be from the black interior, it you park outside in the sun and it gets hot, especially this time of year. I would guess a last resort is to take it back to your dealer and see what they say but for something like this don't get your hopes up, they will probably say they can't smell anything. If that would happen, try using Febreze and see if that makes the interior less chemical smell. That would only be a short term application to see if it goes away on its own.
One last thought, perhaps the selling dealer used some kind of cleaner on the interior during the new car prep. Good luck, I hate unpleasant smells, especially in a car where you are confined to an area.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Sometimes that sort of smell can be eliminated by parking the vehicle in direct hot sun in a safe place with the windows wide open for two or three days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes that sort of smell can be eliminated by parking the vehicle in direct hot sun in a safe place with the windows wide open for two or three days.
I had hoped that would be the case. It has been parked in the hot sun most days for close to a month with little to no change. I open the windows frequently while driving. Anyone else with black SofTex notice anything like this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 SE with black SofTex that I bought a month ago. Mine smells like a new car. It's been hot here and it's sat in the sun all day since I bought it.
I'm going to guess it is something the dealer detail department used on the interior?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Wondering if the smell could be battery/electrical related, you stated that you have a Hybrid correct?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have the Black SofTex in our SE. Do not experience the same smell. @Mikey D. may have something with the battery theory.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, hybrid.
Batteries can and sometimes do emit toxic fumes so you should really keep the pressure on your service department for a better diagnosis and/or get another opinion from a different dealership.

Ask to drive another Hybrid that's on the lot just to compare vehicle aromas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I don't get it - Toyota specs say that the battery is sealed metal nickel hydride, and those batteries have no electrolyte nor are they vented. The only gas produced is hydrogen (odorless) and it is recombined within the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts