Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This has occcured twice now.

I was recently rear-ended. The day that I dropped the car off for repair, the lift gate wouldn't close. I drove the car to the collision center with it open, and they mentioned to me that it closed not long after I left.

The lift gate was repaired (replaced, as far as I know) and tonight it won't close again - but this time it's beeping twice.

I've spent a lot of time googling for an answer but nothing I've seen works.

How do I get this closed? It's a lot farther from the collision center this time, I don't want to drive it with it open again.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
I wonder if the shop got it to close by pushing on it when it was almost closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if the shop got it to close by pushing on it when it was almost closed.
It was wide open then, it's wide open now. The only difference from then and now is when I took it to the shop it was 1 beep and a no movement. Now it's 2 beeps and no movement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You'll need to go to a reputable Toyota Dealership or well established Auto Repair Shop that not a small garage and been around for 20 plus years.
If your Auto Insurance paid them, file a new claim with the Auto Insurance indicating the Collision Center did a faulty repair job.
You should not be the one to pay for it. Have the Collision Center manager or owner show you in person how they got it to Open and Close.
Repeat it several times, then you do it. Check operation of Lift Gate throughout the week everyday to be certain problem is fixed and not Intermittent.
It has to be related to a sensor or the wiring harness has a bad kink being open circuit (busted wire).
Bottom line, Insurance company can demand/ request the collision center to refund X-dollars back to them for incompetent repair work.
Then you can go get it fixed as directed by your Insurance Company. Your Insurance Agent should help you, that's what he/she get paid for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll need to go to a reputable Toyota Dealership or well established Auto Repair Shop that not a small garage and been around for 20 plus years.
If your Auto Insurance paid them, file a new claim with the Auto Insurance indicating the Collision Center did a faulty repair job.
You should not be the one to pay for it. Have the Collision Center manager or owner show you in person how they got it to Open and Close.
Repeat it several times, then you do it. Check operation of Lift Gate throughout the week everyday to be certain problem is fixed and not Intermittent.
It has to be related to a sensor or the wiring harness has a bad kink being open circuit (busted wire).
Bottom line, Insurance company can demand/ request the collision center to refund X-dollars back to them for incompetent repair work.
Then you can go get it fixed as directed by your Insurance Company. Your Insurance Agent should help you, that's what he/she get paid for.
Yes, that's what I plan on doing, but I'm stuck about 15-20 min drive away from the collision centre that did the repair (and away from my home) and I need to get the door shut before the snow flies up here in Canada. Weather calling for snow later today. Of course, everything is closed today so I'm limited to forum support and general googling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I have no idea how, but I was able to close it manually. I was resigned to driving it to town with the gate open. I closed up everything and moved the floor mats to the back seat so they didn't fly out and I just happened to give it a small pull and it moved more or less effortlessly to a closed position.

However, it seems to be closed improperly.

Here is a left vs right image.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts