Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Rav4 XLE and 2020 Rav4 Limited Hybrid
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI: 2017 RAV4 XLE LED Brake Light Bulb Replacement

A post so other don't waste their time or money. Not sure if its a fluke or just my 2017 XLE but I replaced all interior light bulbs with Philips LEDs and everything was fine.

A few days later I got around to replacing the 7440 bulb with a Philips 7440 LED rear brake light bulb. Lights worked fine and then took the car for a drive later that evening. Apparently the 7440 replacement made the ABS, Lane assist and collision system to go haywire with the malfunction lights going off. Re-installed OEM bulbs the same night and drove to work this morning, the malfunction lights turned off shortly after I drove the car.

I thought it was strange that the bulbs affected those systems. Still clueless as to why the lights went off but the swapping of 7440 bulb was the only thing done different to the car. Otherwise it was driving perfectly fine prior to the swap. I guess I can't touch the 7440 bulbs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not sure if it's just my car or if this is the real reason but it seems like it is.

The bulbs referenced: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1164567/00603

·
Registered
1 Posts
7440 is the wrong bulb. You need the 7443 which is a dual filament bulb. It needs to be dual filament so it can run as a tail light and brake light. I have Sylvania 7443 led bulbs in the tail lights of my 2017 Hybrid and have no issues.

·
Registered
2017 Rav4 XLE and 2020 Rav4 Limited Hybrid
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi sorry I meant i replaced the 7440 bulbs (at least that's what the manual says) with philips 7443 led red and I got error lights on my dash.

Maybe I'll just try the sylvannia ones instead since you said it worked. Thanks!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brocksummers
· Registered
Joined Jan 14, 2017
·
1 Posts
#2 Jan 14, 2017
7440 is the wrong bulb. You need the 7443 which is a dual filament bulb. It needs to be dual filament so it can run as a tail light and brake light. I have Sylvania 7443 led bulbs in the tail lights of my 2017 Hybrid and have no issues.

We're the hologen bulbs you replaced the clear wedge type?
Which type of Sylvania LED did you buy? I went to the store and saw that there are two types of 7443R. One is the flat type body of the LED and the other is the round body of the LED. It is the "ZEVO" one that you got? They're not cheap so I wanted to make sure that I get the right one.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Funny reading this...my left brake light burned out the other day. I replaced both sides with Sylvania 7443 ST bulbs (dual filaments). Also replaced my turn signal bulbs with Sylvania 7440 ST bulbs (single filament). OEM bulbs were still good - had a bout of 'anal retentiveness' I guess. 921 ST and 194 ST bulbs are next. ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 RAV4 has a burned out rear tail/break light, but it's really confusing as to what the replacement should be - Sylvania has four separate models: (1) 7443 long-life, (2) 7443 silverstar, (3) 7443 white syl LED, (4) ZEVO 7443 T20 white. Ranging in price from 5.75 to 19.75 for a two-pack at Wally World! So, would any of them work?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Funny reading this...my left brake light burned out the other day. I replaced both sides with Sylvania 7443 ST bulbs (dual filaments). Also replaced my turn signal bulbs with Sylvania 7440 ST bulbs (single filament). OEM bulbs were still good - had a bout of 'anal retentiveness' I guess. 921 ST and 194 ST bulbs are next. ?
Those turn signal 7440 ST bulbs, are those LED you went with? If so did you have to use relays to prevent hyper flash?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed Sylvania 7443 led brake light leds yesterday, the tails are nice and bright, but the brake light doesn’t come on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts