Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in SoCAL but needed a car for my place in Baja Sur It can take 45 to 60" to pick up a rental car in MEX each time even if you have a preferred membership with the rental agency and they always put 4500 to 8000 USD (even for most basic car) hold on your credit card if you don't take their extra insurance So after so many years of this (BS) I decided time to get our own for just down there and get it plated and insured down there and never bring it to US MEX prices are lower but you pay full list price and I suspect the dealer only makes money on financing (10.5% interest is considered good down there) and extended warranty. The only haggle was paying full price without extended warranty and no financing but it was minor hassle compared to USA purchase process. Waiting 4 days for wire transfer completion was annoying but expected. Prices are on Toyota's MEX site; just use xe.com to convert. Full insurance per year 660 USD and included coverage in USA which I don't intend to use. Plates/registration fees about 125 USD total annual renewal fees I'm told are like 25 USD Mex Driver's Lic was 41 USD and yes I did have to take a written only exam. You will not be able to import into USA as far as I know. Taxes (16% IVA) are included in list price and there are no freight charges etc like in USA, Happy with purchase; it feels like a baby brother to the Lexus NX200t we have in SoCAL. Look forward to learning from others here on the site. - Miguel

Attachments

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Welcome, Miguel! Congrats. on getting your new RAV4, and reading about your purchase experience in Mexico is interesting. Even though you note that you probably couldn't import it into the U.S. (likely because of smog and equipment regs. in the U.S.) you should be able to drive it into the U.S. since lots of Mexico vehicles are driven across the border by Mexican tourists, etc.. Insurance is much less expensive - somewhat surprising since when I worked with Mexicans in SoCal they said that the vehicle theft rate in Mexico is high. Perhaps that was for older cars.

Enjoy your new RAV4! Looks great.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Congratulations on your new RAV4! What are the different trim levels available there? Was your RAV built in Canada or Japan?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My XLE was built in Japan. The base LE is only one with 2WD, the remaining models only available in AWD: XLE, XLE Plus, SE and Limited. Unsure if all MEX sold models are Japan sourced but highly likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts