Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and looking for some answers. I recently purchased a 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD. I am thinking about getting a LED kit to replace my halogen headlight bulbs. 1- I was looking at this product here : https://www.carid.com/2017-toyota-rav4-led-lights/lumen-led-headlight-conversion-kit-536037278.html#reviews
Reviews? Anyone?
2- if i install LEDs, am i going to loose the high beam option? In other words, is the low beam the same beam for low and high with LEDs?

Thank you for your help! Hope to read your answers soon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and looking for some answers. I recently purchased a 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD. I am thinking about getting a LED kit to replace my halogen headlight bulbs. 1- I was looking at this product here.
Reviews? Anyone?
2- if i install LEDs, am i going to loose the high beam option? In other words, is the low beam the same beam for low and high with LEDs?

I recently purchased a 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD and my wife and I did not like the headlights at all. We live in the Ozarks and there are many twisty, hilly, dark two lane roads with deer on them. We explained our concerns to our dealer and they installed Putco Silver Lux Pro led's in the headlights and Auer led foglights with a DRL ring of led's built into them. I was amazed they did this for us at no charge. There is a lot of difference in performance but be forewarned, many led's for the projector headlights are "clockable". Our dealer did not clock them and they were terrible. According to the instructions from Putco, the led is supposed to be clocked down (6 o'clock) for optimum light distribution. I clocked the headlight bulbs and now they're much better than factory.

You won't lose the highbeam function since they are not dual filament bulbs to start with. The high/low switching is handled by a solenoid in the projector assembly that moves a shutter that changes the focus. Also, the upgraded foglights are amazing. They are bright enough now that I'm somewhat concerned about actual fog this fall and winter as they now work more like a driving light. I may have to change the aim on them for winter driving.

Anyway, sorry I don't have specific information on the brand you're looking at, I just wanted to give you a heads up as to my experience to help you make your decision. My opinion is that you'll be happiest with both light output and appearance if you do both headlights and foglights.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with Batel. I have a 2016 LE I installed Auer led fogs lights in and it looks great! Since I have a LE that did not come with fogs, the Auer kit came with the harness and all but was a pain to install. It comes with the fog light plastic molds but with the chrome edges around the fog lights, which I did not like, so I hunted down some SE moldings that have the black painted edges and it looks way better I think.

I went with morimoto HID headlights instead of LED. For driving I wanted a whiter light instead of LEDs typical 6000 kelvin, so I went with 4500 kelvin and love them. The difference between HID headlights and the LED fogs is subtle enough that it does not look bad(dislike seeing LED/HID headlights with halogen fogs).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys.
I have a good friend of mine who usualy installs my HID and stuff but he is out of the industry for the moment, he recommended to go with LEDs instead of HIDs this time and i am willing to give it a try. I am still a bit affraid about buying something that is new to me as a consumer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you guys.
I have a good friend of mine who usualy installs my HID and stuff but he is out of the industry for the moment, he recommended to go with LEDs instead of HIDs this time and i am willing to give it a try. I am still a bit affraid about buying something that is new to me as a consumer.
I have a set of morimoto 2stroke led's that I used for the fog lights however they were so bright and threw light EVERYWHERE so I decided to try them in my low beams (Morimoto uses a universal 9006 bulb and just provides adapters based on fit and vehicle.) They were ranked 4th brightest in a recent test for LEDs but in the projector housing actually were dimmer than the PIAA halogens I have, so I stripped them out and tossed them back in my fogs as the projector optics just don't work well with LEDs sadly.

Photo 1: LED in projector
Photo 2: PIAA halogen in projector
Photo 3: one in each against a wall

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you guys.
As per my post above, just be very careful to order led's that are proven to work in projector headlights. Projectors are very sensitive to bulb placement and some work while others do not. After 'clocking' the Putco's I have no issues but they were horrible before clocking. Use the user reviews to your advantage to determine in advance what your likely outcome will be with any particular brand. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried the LED kit on my car but in projectors housings they arent as bright, if you are looking for brightness I would recommend you to go with an HID kit and if you are looking to go with a GOOD kit try Hylux they are the best ones that I have used so far and they also have amazing reviews online. I ordered it from allxenon.com so check them out
Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and looking for some answers. I recently purchased a 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD. I am thinking about getting a LED kit to replace my halogen headlight bulbs. 1- I was looking at this product here.
Reviews? Anyone?

My opinion is that you'll be happiest with both light output and appearance if you do both headlights and foglights.
How well do they light up the road during rain? Are they more on the blue or white light side, I have normally seen led be a bit blue

·
Registered
47 Posts
How well do they light up the road during rain? Are they more on the blue or white light side, I have normally seen led be a bit blue
Ironically since it's summer and gets dark later we've only been out a couple of times in rain. I was out the other night in a light rain and some low precipitation induced fog and I was surprised how well they seemed to cut through it. We tend to have a lot of late night/early morning fog in this area in the winter months and I am quite concerned about their performance since they are a brilliant white light with a hint of blue. They are supposed to be 6000k I believe and definitely have no yellow tint to either the fogs or the headlights.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For anyone that has the XLE model with the headlight stack with "Auto" on it. Do you get a DRL with the stack set to "Auto"?

·
Registered
47 Posts
For anyone that has the XLE model with the headlight stack with "Auto" on it. Do you get a DRL with the stack set to "Auto"?
Yes, when the switch is on 'auto' it turns just the headlights on during the day to act as a DRL. However, I think they may be full brightness being LED instead of the lower output with the halogens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, when the switch is on 'auto' it turns just the headlights on during the day to act as a DRL. However, I think they may be full brightness being LED instead of the lower output with the halogens.
Ah ok, so the same as my LE. I have HID with a capacitor to run the lights at full brightness as the drl(love it). I recently burned a bulb out and order the putco silver pro that you have. I love HID but going to try the patch out and see how I like it. I am pretty sure they aren't as bright as the HIDs but likely better than halogen, so long as I can get a good beam pattern after clocking them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah ok, so the same as my LE. I have HID with a capacitor to run the lights at full brightness as the drl(love it). I recently burned a bulb out and order the putco silver pro that you have. I love HID but going to try the patch out and see how I like it. I am pretty sure they aren't as bright as the HIDs but likely better than halogen, so long as I can get a good beam pattern after clocking them.
In my opinion they are much better than the halogen. This is my first vehicle with projector headlamps and am still getting use to the low beam "cutoff". I have compared them to my pickup and had thought the pickup was better but direct comparison on the same road on the same night tells me I'm actually seeing more, but I'm not yet use to the higher K (whiter) output. I hope you like them and would be interested in your thoughts on LED vs Halogen vs HID.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a 2014
After reading through some of these post about the LED lights,I went ahead and ordered the Lasfit brands that have been recommended here in other posts.
Ordered bulbs for the highs and for the fog lights

·
Registered
160 Posts
I tried led's on my 16 xle, they were brighter and whither but output was about the same, went with HID's and they are much better, moved the led's to the fogs and I'm very happy with the result.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Has anyone replaced 2016 XLE's halogens headlight bulbs with OEM LED's from 2016 LTD. Wonder if it'll be a straightforward fit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts