Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am a new owner of a 2017 Rav4 XLE with Power Premium Extra Value package (if that helps any) and I love it! Gotten a lot of info from you guys, thanks!! I have had my Rav4 a little over a month, has a just over 1k miles and has the smart key. Last night, when my husband came home, he was quick to point out that I had left the tailgate open. I couldn't believe I had been so absent-minded forgetting to close it. After a good scolding and total embarrassment, I used the fob to close the hatch from the house. I KNOW it closed. Even looked out a little later and it was still closed. Low and behold, this morning as he was leaving for work (9 hours later) he called from the driveway to let me know it was open. This time, I closed it from inside the vehicle and made sure the picture on the dash showed it was closed and it was. I do not have the option to run your foot under the vehicle to open the liftgate, so I can rule out an animal running under it to activate it (if that even would). I have no idea how or when it reopened last night. Just checked it and it is still closed almost an hour later.

This is my first Toyota and the first time something weird has happened. I do not work in a good neighborhood and get sick at the thought of my lift gate being open all day in the parking lot. It is locked 100% of the time while there. Hopefully, if nothing else, this would keep it from doing it when parked there.

I know it sounds like I am crazy. If I didn't know 100% that it closed and I saw it close last night, I would think I am a complete lunatic or something was blocking it, but it isn't. After searching the boards and internet, I don't see anywhere that anyone has had issues with this on the Rav4. :confused:

Any ideas or suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Does either you or your husband carry the RAV's key in a purse or pocket where it can accidentally be pressed by some other object and that would open the hatch? My RAV is '11 and if I carry the key in my pocket at home the door may unlock and the panic alarm has even gone off because of pressure on the key buttons. So I hang my keys on a hook while at home rather than keeping them in my pocket.

My wife has had the same situation with her CR-V on occasion.

Reactions: Ravvy2017

·
Registered
47 Posts
Eliminate any possibility you're doing it inadvertently with the fob and then get with Toyota. A woman my wife works with had a new Escalade and it intermittently opened like you're describing. After 18 months Cadillac couldn't/wouldn't fix it (along with other issues) so she traded it for a new 4Runner.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
After 18 months Cadillac couldn't/wouldn't fix it (along with other issues) so she traded it for a new 4Runner.
In many states that would be covered under Lemon Laws. Of course you'd have to somehow prove one of JuneBug's cats :wink wasn't hitting the button.

Reactions: Ravvy2017

·
Registered
47 Posts
In many states that would be covered under Lemon Laws. Of course you'd have to somehow prove one of JuneBug's cats :wink wasn't hitting the button.
Her issue was very intermittent but extremely annoying. That along with oil leaks that didn't seem to be fixable led her to trade. I'm not sure about lemon laws in Missouri, but Missouri isn't know for its robust consumer protection laws.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine is a phantom car alarm. It randomly sets the emergency flashers blinking and if I don't press the fob unlock button before turning the car off it sounds the alarm. Today it waited until I parked and got out, not doing anything while driving, and set off the alarm several seconds after I came in the house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the late reply! I do appreciate all the responses. I am glad to see I am not totally losing my mind. We both have fobs, but at the time, his was sitting on the dresser and mine was hanging on a hook in my pocketbook that was sitting on a table. Maybe it was a fluke, it hasn't happened since. BUT I keep the doors locked all the time. An ounce of prevention...

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Sorry for the late reply! I do appreciate all the responses. I am glad to see I am not totally losing my mind. We both have fobs, but at the time, his was sitting on the dresser and mine was hanging on a hook in my pocketbook that was sitting on a table. Maybe it was a fluke, it hasn't happened since. BUT I keep the doors locked all the time. An ounce of prevention...
Thanks for the update. Mystery apparently unsolved, but at least it hasn't happened again and hopefully it won't. :wink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts