Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After walking away from the 2017 SE that had been in a wreck (thanks to the good advice here), this is where I am on leasing a 2018 Hybrid Ltd with Advance Tech pkg. The dealership is saying this is their final offer. They're getting the car from another dealership; they're not making money, blah blah.

Here are the numbers:

Vehicle price = 37,300
Dealership credit = 450
TTOTAL =36,850

Trade in for my 2016 Honda HR-V (manual) = 16000
Lien payoff for my Honda = 12,300

Sales Tax = 1387.70
Title Fee = 33
State inspection fee = 16.75
Deputy = 5
Road and Bridge = 23
Other = 7
Tag/Registration fees = 109.50
Documentation = 150
BALANCE DUE = 34,881.95

LEASE
36 Months / 12k miles
Toyota Rebate = 1000
Cash balance due = 600.
Monthly payment = 395.

Is this a no Vaseline situation, or a decent deal? I'm in Texas, btw.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
According to Toyota's website the MSRP for the '18 Limited Hybrid with Advanced Tech package is $35,465 as I plugged into it. If true the dealership vehicle price even with the "Dealership credit," whatever that is, is even higher than the official MSRP, which no one should consider paying. Does the dealer price include Toyota's transport fee to the dealer from source, such as the port of entry? Even if that needs to be added in the dealer price still is higher than MSRP. Suggest that you take a hard look at the dealership figures as well as Toyota's and what other web sources suggest is a fair price for the vehicle before signing any papers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Toyota's website the MSRP for the '18 Limited Hybrid with Advanced Tech package is $35,465 as I plugged into it. If true the dealership vehicle price even with the "Dealership credit," whatever that is, is even higher than the official MSRP, which no one should consider paying. Does the dealer price include Toyota's transport fee to the dealer from source, such as the port of entry? Even if that needs to be added in the dealer price still is higher than MSRP. Suggest that you take a hard look at the dealership figures as well as Toyota's and what other web sources suggest is a fair price for the vehicle before signing any papers.
Okay, this is very helpful. Now. Looking at the pre-sell document, they have the base at 35,075 and 2,225 worth of options (totaling 37,3000). Since my dealership is getting it from another dealership, they're saying there's not much more they can do given what they're paying for the car. I'll now go fish around on other web sources, as you suggest.

I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, this is very helpful. Now. Looking at the pre-sell document, they have the base at 35,075 and 2,225 worth of options (totaling 37,3000). Since my dealership is getting it from another dealership, they're saying there's not much more they can do given what they're paying for the car. I'll now go fish around on other web sources, as you suggest.

I appreciate your input.
I don't know much about leasing but with the numbers you quoted above and in your thread starter, you should be able to buy a new 17 RAV4 Hybrid LTD with Advanced Technology Package, rear cargo / tonneau cover, all-weather mats, wheel locks and mud guards for ~$34k - $35k OUT THE DOOR (includes all fees, registration and tax) - A little more for a 2018.

Toyota is currently offering a total of $3,500 cash back on the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid. You should be able to beat them down on the price. Only problem might be limited color choices for a 2017. Offer is good until / delivery by November 30th - YIKES! That's TODAY!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would bet that they extend the offer on the 2017s as they had the same one since Aug.

One of the things that you should do (I should have in Aug also but did not). Unless you are really hung up on buying from that dealer, is go to cars.com and search for the model that you are looking for within a few hundred miles of where you live. Call the dealers and see what they can do on the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On Tuesday I walked out the door at $339 month lease for an 18 Hybrid Limited. $2750 for my trade is all I put down, plus the two $500 Toyota incentives for a total of $3750 down. In California. It's the 3rd car I bought from this dealership in 4 years and I know the head of the sales department and he takes care of us. He took almost 3k off the car. No negotiations, just talk a little basketball and a hand shake. Best buying experience ever and I don't think I could have done much if any better on the price. I have heard from other dealers that if they have to get the car elsewhere they have less negotiation room. Could be blowing smoke or could be true. No idea.

With my wife's van I called up at least 10 dealerships in the area and asked for their best price on the exact van I wanted. Took the best 5 and called them each and gave them the lowest price I had gotten from the others and kept doing that until they started saying, "well you should take that deal cause we can't beat it". Turned out to be the dealership above. Went in, happened to know the sales manager (no idea he worked there) and even after what I thought was a good deal he was still able to take another $1,000 off the car and add $1000 to our trade in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My specificity is hurting me. Because I only want black, and I have to have the Adv Tech pkg, there just aren't that many of them around. In fact, there's only this one. I would love $339/mo, but that's a pipedream. I'm currently trying to squeeze them down to $370. So far, they're saying no can do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I was looking for a RAV4 back in early Sept, the only thing I was sure of was getting a Limited AWD. At the time, they were selling like hot cakes. I went back a couple of times, only to find the one I wanted was sold. On this day, they had two limited ones that I wanted. The first was a Limited Hybrid—loaded. I thought it was black, but when you look at it up close and in the sun, it was a nice blue. DW wanted that one, and I confess, so did I. When I buy a vehicle, I don’t mention trades or down payments until we agree on a price. I tried to deal with them, but I stuck to my guns and wanted a lower price—they would not come down to my price so I said no. Next to it was another Limited AWD, silver. I like the color even though it was not a Hybrid. On this Limited, I got them down to my price—approx $27k. I don’t remember the actual price of either vehicle and I don’t have the paperwork in front of me on what I bought. The Hybrid did have the tech package and mine did not nor did I care. Mine did come with various accessories. Bottom line was we were very happy with the deal. I did check with other dealerships close buy and they were all charging higher prices. One other reason for me buying at my dealership is I am close friends with the Service Manager. Do your research. I used various online sites to determine what I wanted to pay. When I leased my Forester a couple years ago, I was going to WY to lease one because they wouldn’t come down on the price here—they changed their minds, when I said I was on my way to WY to pick it up. My local Subaru dealership had the one I was going to buy in WY transported here at the price I wanted. The one I was getting in WY was green and they didn’t have a green one here—go figure. Glad it was a lease cause the Subaru dealership here sucks.
Sorry for rambling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To the OP:

The dealership is giving you a $450 or $4500 discount? With $450, you are getting rinsed. Even the base LE models get at least 2k dealer discount.

The 34881.95, what is this number ? Is this the out the door price if you were buying the vehicle? This number implies that the dealership is shaving about $4150 off the MSRP, which includes both toyota cash and dealer credit. Not the best deal but seems decent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts