Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn. I drove the limited hybrid and loved it, however, I am mostly deaf (90%). Does the engine make a lot more noise than the gas model to the regular hearing folks?

Reliability wise, have any of you early adopters had any trouble?

I will be in a RAV4 next week, but cannot choose between the hybrid limited or the AWD platinum. =(

·
Registered
324 Posts
Both are equally reliable. The hybrid is a bit quieter as the drivetrain is completely different. I had a 2015 gas model and traded up for a 2017 Hybrid, I never had trouble with either vehicles. If you are someone who does a lot of highway mileage or mostly does short trips in the city under 5 miles, go for the gas only model. The advantage of the hybrid is for trips over 20 mins and mainly in the city. Also, if you live in a cold climate, consider longer warm up times, snow tires and winter blend gas will mean fuel economy will be similar to that of the gas only model most of the time.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My main commute is a 25-mile trek where 70% is @63 mph, the other 30 is @45mph.

I was concerned about the noise for my hearing able wife and kids, but the ride to me is so much better than the gas model!

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
What MTL_Sienna said, I had a '15 Ltd gas for a year, then upgraded to a '16 Ltd HV, I get at least 10mpg better fuel economy in the HV, best I ever got in city driving was 25mpg in the '15, highway at 50-60mph was around 30-31 except one trip up the gorge with a 30mph tail wind got 33mpg, I get 35-38mpg on the same trip regularly with or without the wind, just depends on how much passing I do on the 2-lane part of SR14 (the HV has excellent acceleration, much better than the gas model, btw). Right now with cooler temps(30-50ºf) I'm getting 34mpg all city, that's at speeds under 45mph, mostly 25-35mph, if you keep speeds 60mph or less you'll get excellent fuel economy in the HV, the only time your passengers will hear engine noise is if you get into the upper power range going up a hill, or accelerating to merge quickly, which I avoid when ever I can by a little planning ahead, like using the entire on ramp to accelerate to speed.

The 2.5L HV engine isn't the same as the gas model, it is the Atkinson cycle version that is more efficient than the standard gas version, so there's still an advantage with the HV on highway driving even if you don't use EV power as much.:wink

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you enjoying it? Would be my first hybrid, so I would need to learn how to drive it appropriately to maximize the benefits. Plus, thankfully TPSS is standard, so I cannot crash into anything while staring at that cool engine screen on the monitor. LOL

·
Registered
324 Posts
Are you enjoying it? Would be my first hybrid, so I would need to learn how to drive it appropriately to maximize the benefits. Plus, thankfully TPSS is standard, so I cannot crash into anything while staring at that cool engine screen on the monitor. LOL
I love my RAV4 Hybrid, best car I have ever owned. The only thing to remember to drive smoothly to get the best fuel economy. The same can be said for any gas powered vehicle. However, with the hybrid, coasting when possible and applying the brakes lightly (and early) feeds energy back into the battery. Other than that, just drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I’d get the hybrid. It is actually more reliable than the gas only due to most of the accessories running off the battery instead of belt driven. Even on the coldest days of winter my mileage is better than my 14 gas model but only by a few mpg. But it gets better and better the warmer it is. In summer I can often get 40mpg in my 45 minute rush hour city commute. And I don’t feather the gas either, I’m not a hyper miler by any means and just drive it. It’s no noisier than the gas only. And when the engine is off at a light it is dead silent.
I have a 2016 and have had 0 problems. However there is a recall right now for the block heater but I’d assume that is fixed for the 2018 new models, if you would have or need one.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading the forums all day coupled with my test driving experience, I have made the decision to go for the limited hybrid. Now it just a battle to get the best price I can this week. The top two prices I have at the moment is 32380 and 33715 before the 1k rebate; I have a $500 friends and family voucher as well I hold until the end from setoyota. Unfortunately, my state now does a 7% sale tax and all the dealer fees are variable between each, so calculating walkout will have to wait until I see the prices on paper.

Thank you guys for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
I am of the V-6 crowd with no fondness for any four cylinder RAV4.
Having said that I would consider ONLY the hybrid were I in the market for a new RAV4. The reports from owners here are exemplary with almost no negatives. The few negatives I have seen would likely have been solved had they opened the owner's manual.

Get the hybrid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading the forums all day coupled with my test driving experience, I have made the decision to go for the limited hybrid. Now it just a battle to get the best price I can this week. The top two prices I have at the moment is 32380 and 33715 before the 1k rebate; I have a $500 friends and family voucher as well I hold until the end from setoyota. Unfortunately, my state now does a 7% sale tax and all the dealer fees are variable between each, so calculating walkout will have to wait until I see the prices on paper.

Thank you guys for all your help.
Hi Daali
I'm in same situation as you. Originally, I was looking at the Platinum model, but after some research, I found out that Platinum model is just Limited with Advance Technology Package minus the hand free power liftgate, the heated steering wheel (and some minor accessories) which I can live without. I personally like the Limited Hybrid version more because the ground clearance is 7 inches unlike the 6.1 inches in the gas model, and also the acceleration, at least the 0-60 mph time in seconds, is faster in the Limited Hybrid model. The fuel economy is a plus as well. I have never had a hybrid car before but I think I will try the Limited Hybrid now.
Do you have an invoice or email from the dealer that gave you the best offer? I'm planning to make my purchase in the next 1-2 weeks and my dealer said they can match the price from others. Do you mind sharing the information with me? My email is [email protected] gmail.com

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Daali

I'm also in the same situation as you. I am debating between Limited hybrid and Platinum but I think I'll go with the Limited Hybrid model. Here are some differences that helped me making the decision.

Limited Hybrid: Better fuel economy, higher ground clearance (7" in hybrid instead of 6.1" in Platinum), better towing capacity, faster acceleration.
Platinum: Hands free power liftgate and heated steering wheel (I think I can live without), has other minor protective accessories.

From the previous posts, it seems like you got a pretty good deal from your dealer. Does that Limited Hybrid also have Advance technology package? If it does, can you share the invoice or the offer email from your dealer? My dealer said they can match the price if I can find a lower price. My email is [email protected] gmail.com

Thank you

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does not have the ATP. It would be a straight limited hybrid with the Toyota care and apple cable nonsense (they tacked those on before I saw it). Hopefully I get a call today and I can drive off =)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
I am of the V-6 crowd with no fondness for any four cylinder RAV4.
Having said that I would consider ONLY the hybrid were I in the market for a new RAV4. The reports from owners here are exemplary with almost no negatives. The few negatives I have seen would likely have been solved had they opened the owner's manual.

Get the hybrid.
I agree 100% with RF. As a V6 owner, the hybrid version is the only RAV4 I would buy.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tnankfully the dance is almost over with all the dealers.

MSR Price: 36465
Sales Price: 33715
Govt Fee: 70
DOC: 599
Tax: 2335.41
Total Sales Price: 36719.41
Rebate: -1000
Walk out: 35719.41

Junk options added in the car price above by dealer:
Carpet Mats w/ lipped edge: 399
door protection: 199
apple cable/ charge pkg: 69
Toyota Guard Platinum: 699
Total: 1366.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Get those doc fees off of there ($599???!!!) as well as the floor mats. The dealer is trying to pad the deal with those two items which appear to be costing you $1000 !!!

Remember, it's December, dealers are hungry.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I would also avoid "Toyota Guard Platinum for $699". It is mostly oil change and tire rotation.
Sealants and Fabric protector will last 1 year at the most. And if you have Softex, then you do not even have fabric.
You might already have Rental car assistance through your insurance.
Roadside Assistance is already included in your new car for 2 years.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As a 2012 Camry Hybrid Owner, I can only say.... Go for the Hybrid!! I believe the Rav4 has the same powertrain setup as the Camry. The mileage is amazing. This fall, I fillup the tank on the camry, load it up and drove all the way from Kitchener to Montreal with no stopping for gas. Then drive around town for 2 days before heading back out on the highway and got almost to Kingston before gasing up ( Low fuel light was on for about 20 mins). That was about 1150 km. I would not be able to do that on my other vehicle, a V6 Rav4. That would need one or two gas stop.

To date ( almost 6 years ), we had no issues with the camry. It is almost maintenance free compare to the Rav4. We test drive both the I4 camry and the Hybrid and choose the hybrid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts