Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Rav4 XLE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a PSA to everyone, check under your plastic engine cover and cabin air filter. I had a mouse nest in both!
Anyone know how to keep the mice out?

(Yes I washed my hands thoroughly afterwards, should have used gloves.)

It was right by the spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Get rid of the mice! Modified victor traps baited with peanut butter on the bottom of the trigger or sunflower seeds hot glued to the trigger.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Agree with Quickdtoo and the situation is urgent! Hopefully the mouse or mice have not chewed on the wiring yet.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Apparently using bars of Irish Spring soap can work - drives away mice as well as wives! Lol

Seriously though I used several bars in my trailer this year and had no issues (recommended by my cousin who owns a trailer park). Have a look under and around the windshield cowl, and consider adding something like steel wool into the gaps to keep them out. The original cowls on the 4.3 were horribly open for mice but the updated part resolved my issue. Hope you find a quick solution.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I found a tiny mouse nest on top of my valve cover a few weeks ago. This is the first time it has happen so I decided to put in a fabric softener sheet there so the smell will deter the rodents.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I found a tiny mouse nest on top of my valve cover a few weeks ago. This is the first time it has happen so I decided to put in a fabric softener sheet there so the smell will deter the rodents.
Think I need to do the same. Refilled my washer fluid today and found lots of mouse poops throughout the engine bay. Little buggers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is because a lot of people are not using their cars due to COVID 19. Just be happy it's not rats, I'm in the pest control industry and had a customer have $8000.00 worth of damage to their Prius. (California$)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just replaced a camshaft sensor harness, the plug end of my friends 2015 Highlander. The wires were chewed down and the plastic insulation gone. Apparently Toyota used a soy based formula on certain models and years to be "green" and apparently rodents find it delicious. Google it for more info.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just replaced a camshaft sensor harness, the plug end of my friends 2015 Highlander. The wires were chewed down and the plastic insulation gone. Apparently Toyota used a soy based formula on certain models and years to be "green" and apparently rodents find it delicious. Google it for more info.
It wasn’t just Toyota. Ford did the same starting in the late 90’s, and topped it off with soy-based seat foam padding too. It’s like a big blue oval-shaped buffet!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bumped into a couple who recommended an LED under the hood. Finally grabbed a new Wix cabin air filter on Ebay it's lovely. Need to check under that motor cover as mine won't start. Had a bunny atop the motor one time in the mountains and. He chewed a yellow wire that I guess didn't matter too much as this was years ago. Think I'll ignore peppermint and try Bounce.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts