Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just keep in mind the Adventure is NOT now an offroad-capable model. Fortunately, dirt road DOES NOT equal offroad. So dirt road: yes, offroad: no!

If you look at the features list unique to the Adventure you'll find that most features are only appearance-related. It does not even come with roof rack cross bars or a trailer hitch.

Functionally, it only gets a 0.4 inch lift, giving it only 6.5 inches of total ground clearance (for comparison, the previous generation all came with 7.5 inches of ground clearance from the factory, and were still not offroad vehicles). Does the Adventure now have more ground clearance than a Camry? Yes, but just barely.

It does come with a 110V / 100W power outlet, which also came standard on the Limited trim in the previous generation, but 100W isn't enough for even many laptops. Tablets, phones, and probably a portable DVD player, yes, though. For comparison, most hair driers are well over 1000 W (10x the limit!). Pay attention to the total wattage loads getting plugged in, or you'll blow the fuse.

And while it's rated to tow 3500 pounds, this is only because of a larger radiator and additional engine oil and transmission fluid coolers from the factory (which is great). But the brakes on the Adventure don't seem to be any bigger than those found any other 4.4.

Remember: Towing is as much about safely stopping as it is about pulling.

Pulling upwards of 3500 lbs with only the 176HP 2.5L engine will take a LONG time to get up to speed. And passing on the highway while towing 3500 lbs? Fuhgeddaboudit! Although I haven't found official Toyota documentation stating this for the Adventure, even with the previous generation's 3500 lb capacity, to stay within the towing rating trailers are required to have their own brakes when they weigh over something like 600 lbs.

I would presume at the very best the brakes on the Adventure are no bigger than those on the 4.3 V6 with the tow prep package, so the same rules requiring trailer brakes almost certainly apply.

I'd bet the vast majority of owners ignore the lack of trailer brakes for loads that size on vehicles like this (will you?), which is not good!

Please drive safely, and that requires knowing the requirements - and limits! - of your vehicle. I can't imagine anyone wants to ruin a new $30,000+ vehicle.

Safety first, adventure second.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bigger rad and that oil and transmission cooler added good to pull now 3500lbs.

The opinion of anyone if you upgrade with the same parts a previous years or trim 4.4 it could performance as well compared to the Adventure 4.4 claimed towing capacity.

And for how much?

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
A pimped up RAV with false expectations in my opinion. Put the hopped up 2.5l from the new Camry in it and that would separate it from the run of the mill RAV.

·
Registered
158 Posts
or the V6...that would really do it

·
Registered
234 Posts
It should be call "RAV4 Towing version" but the Toyota hitch is not included in the Adventure/Trail version...it's a little bit strange IMO!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Functionally, it only gets a 0.4 inch lift, giving it only 6.5 inches of total ground clearance (for comparison, the previous generation all came with 7.5 inches of ground clearance from the factory, and were still not offroad vehicles). Does the Adventure now have more ground clearance than a Camry? Yes, but just barely.

My RAV4 Hybrid bas 7" ground clearance, so I can do off roads? :D

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
At $28,400 starting price for the Adventure AWD version that's more than what I paid new for my '11 AWD Base with V6 engine, towing prep package and wiring, body side moldings, mud guards, and Upgrade Value Package.

The Adventure seems to be a somewhat half-hearted attempt by Toyota, as is the C-HR. I'll stick with my '11 RAV4 !!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
A pimped up RAV with false expectations in my opinion.
I prefer the term "misleading," with which the AWD RAV4 already doesn't need any help.

I wonder how h20snow did with pulling that 5,000 lb boat and trailer out of the water? (further into the water? :egad:)

But I'm guessing Toyota dealers will love the Adventure because it will make them lots more money...in their repair shops, fixing trail damage and front end damage due to the Adventure being pushed into the vehicle in front of them by the heavy trailer which doesn't have its own brakes.

(You KNOW both will happen, it's just a question of how much more often.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I get this correctly, the limitation of 1650lbs for the Rav4 asked by Toyota is mainly for overheating issues if we look at the beafer rad and added oil and transmission cooler if the Adventure trim.

In other terms, the Rav4 is capable but can overheat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It seem that the Rav4 Adventure is available to the US but not in Canada for 2018 models.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It seem that the Rav4 Adventure is available to the US but not in Canada for 2018 models.

It's available on Toyota.ca

It's not called Adventure, but Trail. You need to select XLE (gas only) and Trail package. It's also in the brochure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's available on Toyota.ca

It's not called Adventure, but Trail. You need to select XLE (gas only) and Trail package. It's also in the brochure.
Sucks that instead of making it another trim for Canada, it's actually a package. Marketing I assume.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I?m planning on adding the tow upgrades to my 2014. Other then that it?s just a pretty package. I will stick to using my explorer for off-roading. The RAV4 awd just isn?t real awd enough for rough play.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very true for the AWD, but more so the ground clearance would be the problem I think. And that trail would be fun! Just not in a rav4...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interested in the AWD Rav4 Adventure for towing (posted more in detail on a new thread) a 2500# (loaded) trailer equipped w trailer brakes. Wondering if the 176 hp and 172 torque is up to the job? My non-Toyota friends all emphatically say no. But I'm curious what Toyota Rav4 enthusiasts have to say. Also wondering how big a hit the mpg will take when pulling a trailer (considering relatively flat terrain, driven at reasonable trailer speeds around 60-65 mph)? Will the little engine require more gas to get the job done? Even though we hate bigger vehicles and want a great mpg vehicle for the 320+ days we aren't pulling a camper trailer, should we be searching for a vehicle w greater hp or is the Rav4 Adventure up to the job?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the engine wasnt up for the task, Toyota should have not made such a package imo.

Sure it will affect MPG, you will have weight to pull, it's no rocket science.

Depending of what you need, it can be a good choice or not.

Can you sacrifice MPG for some occasion?

Do you need on a daily basis more HP than what the 2.5L gas to offer?

You can always compare product versus others will such arguements as MPG, Price, reliability,tow capacity and space interior. And pick a winner.

But at reading what you are asking and need it for, it might be a good choice for you.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts