Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2018 RAV4 Headlights

45K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  dataclever 
#1 ·
I have a new XLE and the headlights are dangerous. These are projector headlights that cast a very focused beam forward. I live in a rural area without a lot of ambient light. With the low beams on, it is like someone painted the top half of my windshield black. There is little peripheral illumination, so I can see what is directly in front of me, and nothing else. Where the road inclines down, the illumination cuts out just a few feet off the ground, below the level of things like stop signs. There is absolutely no peripheral illumination right at the front of the car, so when I turn, I can't see what I'm turning into until it's directly in front of my car, like pedestrians. I took this back to the dealer, who checked it out and told me everything was up to spec.

From what I can learn on the internet, this is also an issue with other manufacturers, and results from the design of projector-style headlights.
Has anyone else had this problem? I've been looking into substituting LED's but I don't know if this will help.

#2 ·
I have a 2017 with the same problem. Where we live is rolling hills and curves and Missouri has for the most part stopped keeping their right of ways mowed, which allows the deer to get right to the edge of the road before you can see them.

I complained and our dealer replaced the bulbs with Putco LED bulbs and replaced the fog lights with Auer brand LED's. It is much better, however, I still have to have the fogs on at all times to get any fill to the sides. I'm checking into how to keep the fogs on with the high beams. I would recommend the setup I have although some tell me the HID replacements for the main headlights is better, but more maintenance.

Your dealer may take care of you like they did me, but they will act like they've never heard of an issue before.

#4 ·
Headlight spec H11 LED bulbs in the fog light assemblies will make a significant difference in peripheral vision especially in the area close to the front of the vehicle. I find they also cast quite a bit of light upwards to illuminate signs and such to the extent that they might actually be too bright for urban use... But they do help in very dark conditions.

#9 ·
I have reported this problem to NTSA and made a formal complaint about the headlights. I have a 2017 RAV4 and it is dangerous to drive at night. My dealership tried to blow me off with this problem, until I showed a photo of the headlights at night, still and video. My dealership adjusted the headlights, but they are still dangerous.

#20 ·
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/fog-lights/toyota-oval-morimoto-xb-led.html

A lot of people seem to like these morimoto fogs. I am on the fence about them considering the price, although I did buy the Auer fogs(not cheap) after purchasing my rav and installed them myself(none-drl model).

So far the Auer have been fine for what they are and put out enough light. The morimoto seem to cast a wider beam and also a bit brighter. I tried a handful of LEDs for the headlights but they all disappointed. Ive had HIDs in my rav since I bought my rav in 2016 and have worked perfect.

#22 ·
I have these Morimoto fog lights on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo and 2010 Prius. I absolutely love them. I hadn't checked to see if they would fit my 2017 RAV4 XLE.

#21 ·
I would highly recommend that you get the LED bulbs for your low beams. I have just put in the LasFit LA series bulbs ( I got the bulbs from Amazon) that the beam pattern is much wider, much brighter, better in most all respects to the stock bulbs. Additionally, I would also recommend putting LED bulbs in the fog lights, I also used LasFit, and the difference there is amazing compared to the lousy stock bulbs. The combination of the 2 on country roads will be outstanding. For a $100 (both pairs!), it's not worth the trouble to bang your head against the wall trying to get the dealer to do anything. I had Sylvania bulbs and they were terrible.

Go to this thread, 2013 rav 4 low beams bulb type and see my pictures on page 9.

#24 ·
I have a new XLE and the headlights are dangerous. These are projector headlights that cast a very focused beam forward. I live in a rural area without a lot of ambient light. With the low beams on, it is like someone painted the top half of my windshield black. There is little peripheral illumination, so I can see what is directly in front of me, and nothing else. Where the road inclines down, the illumination cuts out just a few feet off the ground, below the level of things like stop signs. There is absolutely no peripheral illumination right at the front of the car, so when I turn, I can't see what I'm turning into until it's directly in front of my car, like pedestrians. I took this back to the dealer, who checked it out and told me everything was up to spec.

From what I can learn on the internet, this is also an issue with other manufacturers, and results from the design of projector-style headlights.
Has anyone else had this problem? I've been looking into substituting LED's but I don't know if this will help.
I have 2018 rav4 LE when is raining i cannot see road. and if road doesn't have reflectors i cannot see anything my light are dangerous at night too. terrible planning to go back to dealership and change cars or go and buy a subaru forrester.

#25 ·
I went the "go buy another car" route. The piss poor headlight performance was one of many reasons I got rid of the Rav4. I actually had to get off the road one dark morning in the wet snow because it looked like my headlights were not on. It turned out they were on, just very poor job of lighting up the wet road. I had also been to the dealer to get them aligned on multiple occasions. They either seemed too high and kept getting flashed by on coming drivers, or too low and could only see 50ft in front of the Rav. Worst headlights I have ever had on any car.

Reactions: ale
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.