Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just recently leased my 2018 RAV4 LE in March 2018 and I love this car so much! Unfortunatley my RAV got broken into when I was visiting some family members out of town. The perp shattered my front passenger window and opened the door from the inside. Some important stuff was taken and it was long drive back home with no passenger window. After this happened I was wondering why I never heard my alarm go off in the middle of the night. So I go out to my car and lock it. I reach in through the broken window and open the door right up and my car didnt make a sound. I called my local dealership to discover an alarm was never installed on my new 2018 car. My 2005 Honda had an alarm and so did my 2002 ford exploder. I no longer feel safe leaving anything in my car because its not protected. When I purchased this car I assumed it had an alarm due to its higher price tag and the fact that ITS A 2018 SUV. After doing research it turns out a security system is optional feature. My question is how many others have noticed their new toyotas arent equipped with a feature that is practically standard on all new and most used vehicles. Ive contacted toyota to see if this issue can be handled. I want to install an alarm but I dont want to waste my money on car that has been leased and one I wont be keeping. (upgrading to a truck when my lease is up).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
New cars don't normally come with alarm systems unless the dealer installs it, since this is your first new car you probably aren't aware of that. I've bought many new cars in the 50 some years I've been driving, only one had an alarm system from the factory. The Rav4 LE is the base model and I wouldn't expect it to have an alarm system, that's something you should have been aware of if it was important to you, best advice is take it as a learning experience and move on, at 22yrs of age you have a lot to learn in the future. I've never really felt the need for an alarm system, best advice to avoid break-ins is don't leave anything of value exposed for the creeps to see and tempt them, if they can't see it, they won't know it's there.

https://www.nationwide.com/smash-and-grab.jsp

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

I just recently leased my 2018 RAV4 LE in March 2018 and I love this car so much! Unfortunatley my RAV got broken into when I was visiting some family members out of town. The perp shattered my front passenger window and opened the door from the inside. Some important stuff was taken and it was long drive back home with no passenger window. After this happened I was wondering why I never heard my alarm go off in the middle of the night. So I go out to my car and lock it. I reach in through the broken window and open the door right up and my car didnt make a sound. I called my local dealership to discover an alarm was never installed on my new 2018 car. My 2005 Honda had an alarm and so did my 2002 ford exploder. I no longer feel safe leaving anything in my car because its not protected. When I purchased this car I assumed it had an alarm due to its higher price tag and the fact that ITS A 2018 SUV. After doing research it turns out a security system is optional feature. My question is how many others have noticed their new toyotas arent equipped with a feature that is practically standard on all new and most used vehicles. Ive contacted toyota to see if this issue can be handled. I want to install an alarm but I dont want to waste my money on car that has been leased and one I wont be keeping. (upgrading to a truck when my lease is up).
i know the feeling, I will be having a discussion with the dealership this week about this! The alarm went off when I was in it one time. Yet when it was broken into, silence. I even asked the dealership if it had an alarm, they said yes! I think its unfair to not have this as a regular option as cars have more in them than ever. Thanks for the story, we see we are not the only ones this has happen too! I’m NOT 22 BTW!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Toyota markets this as a dealer installed accessory under the name VIP V5 (Vehicle Intrusion Protection) RS3200. It has the horn alerts for door opening without first using the fob to unlock, and a glass breakage sensor.

I too find it odd that there isn't some basic level of protection standard. Given the presence of immobilizers and the proliferation of Smart Key tech, adding basic security functionality to the existing hardware shouldn't be all that hard. Throw in a simple software switch in Techstream to turn if off if the owner wants to disable it for personal reasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts