Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Rav4 with 15K miles on it has developed a vibration hum at around 75-80MPH. It comes and goes and is not mechanical in nature, it's an almost constant hum, and sounds like a monotone kazoo. It seems to be from the front of the car.

I determined that it is NOT the black heat shield under the hood, but I'm stumped as to what else. It's also NOT the factory roof rails, they're tight.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My 2018 Rav4 with 15K miles on it has developed a vibration hum at around 75-80MPH. It comes and goes and is not mechanical in nature, it's an almost constant hum, and sounds like a monotone kazoo. It seems to be from the front of the car.

I determined that it is NOT the black heat shield under the hood, but I'm stumped as to what else. It's also NOT the factory roof rails, they're tight.

Thanks in advance.
I hate to ask but since I saw that photo on the net last year, did someone zip-tie a harmonica or kazoo to the front end?

Realistically you may have the beginning of a bad wheel bearing/hub. It would only show at that speed due to the high frequency of RPM (of the wheel) at that speed. You’re in powertrain warranty right now but unless your area has a posted legal speed that high, a dealer tech likely won’t break the speed limit testing your RAV at that speed.

2012 RAV4 Base FWD. Upgraded to large front brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

Link to SAE J2807 test description

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speed limit is 75 here and it does it at that speed. I videod it and will bring it to the dealer. Seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One of those transmitter and receiver devices For sound detection would be great to help pinpoint the noise so you know which bearing it is coming from if it is that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You might also want to check the plastic pieces around the windshield to make sure they are secure. Could be a piece of loose trim vibrating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts