Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Do the roof rails have a different load capacity than the cross bars? I currently have factory installed roof rails with factory cross bars. I am looking to swap out the OEM cross bars and install Thule cross bars to hopefully put a roof top tent up there. In my research, I found that the OEM cross bars capacity is 100lbs while the Thule cross bars capacity is 165lbs. However, I just saw a sticker on my roof rails that say "Maximum Load 100lbs".

Does this mean that even if I install Thule cross bars I am limited to 100lbs? Also, side question: do I even need to swap out the OEM cross bars? I'm a little nervous to put a 90lbs tent up there, but I saw another thread with someone putting a rooftop tent on OEM cross bars. I think his RAV4 was a 2019 model with better bars though.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
5th gen cross bar weight limit is 176lbs, but they're fixed, all aluminum(except the caps), not adjustable like previous gens.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Remember too that static weight capacity is different than dynamic weight capacity. In the manual, toyota is considering the weight on the roof while the truck is in motion - it will raise the centre of gravity, making it more prone to tipping or rolling (everyone is still remembering the Suzuki samurai and Ford Bronco II). Having the weight on the roof when stationary is a different story though - the rails will transfer the weight down to the roof pillars, and sideways momentum isn’t a concern if you’re camping on level ground. IMO if you camp up there you’ll be fine, as long as you use strong enough crossbars, and as long as your roof weight is within that 101 lbs while driving. Remember though I’m just some guy on the internet

2012 RAV4 Base FWD.
Upgraded to large from brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts