Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 SE and looking for advice on adding a hitch to carry a bike or two. The manual seems to contradict itself when it comes to this. Any advice or input? I am looking into the Curt receiver, but yet to narrow down a bike carrier. Also still skimming the post on roof v hitch carriers.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,883 Posts
A hitch can be added just fine, Toyota doesn't recommend towing with the SE because it doesn't have sway control, there are several discussions on this, you can find them using the search this forum option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi-

On both my 2010 and now my 2018 Rav4, I had a Type 3 U-Haul hitch with a 2" receiver (I got a bulky hitch because I do haul trailers periodically), coupled with a Yakima Swing Daddy. this is a pretty pricey setup but the only one that wouldn't be super duper annoying trying to get three dogs loaded and unloaded easily in the back while carrying four bikes for my family. It was honestly quite simple to attach the hitch with a ratchet set (along with a cinderblock to take most of the weight of the hitch while attaching it), and the SwingDaddy goes on quite easily. I know you can get a simpler 1 1/4" receiver hitch if you aren't planning on carrying that many bikes, but there is then the issue of wanting to have easy clear access to the rear door opening fully. Some bike racks tilt downward and that MAY work for the newer lift gate, I'm not sure, because I bought my setup when I had the old swing open door style of the 2010. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Curt hitch and a Thule bike rack. The rack is awesome. I can load or unload two bike is a minute or two. Virtually no movement of the bikes when traveling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
Dagadakos
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing