Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Not sure where you are getting your figures from but I politely disagree with both of your statements.

I just reverified, a naturally aspirated 2020 Outback Touring with similar options to my fully loaded RAV4h came out to $39,736 MSRP. At the time, the dealer would “let it go” for $39,400 ($336 off MSRP). My 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid custom ordered in October 2019 with nearly every option possible (including tech and weather packages, AFS, paint protection film, body side mountings, premium blizzard pearl paint, etc) was $40,022 ($3,462 off of MSRP). Again, roughly a $600 difference between the Outback and RAV4h, at that time. The fuel savings alone pays off the difference very quickly.
You should check price again. There is 3k difference on msrp alone touring vs rav4h limited but real world price gap is higher. I would be shocked that you got 3500 off msrp for Rav4h. Even now discounts aren't that great. Unless you got tradein involved there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You should check price again. There is 3k difference on msrp alone touring vs rav4h limited but real world price gap is higher. I would be shocked that you got 3500 off msrp for Rav4h. Even now discounts aren't that great. Unless you got tradein involved there.
No trade involved. I am dealing with my actual September and October 2019 figures.

Back in late 2019, the 2020 Outback was newly redesigned and dealers were asking close to MSRP while the 2020 RAV4h was on the second model year into its redesign cycle and it was easy to get several thousand off of MSRP. I could have gotten even more off if I had bought off the lot but I wanted to custom order my vehicle. So, at the time (late 2019), again, there was only a $622 difference between a 2020 Outback Touring and my 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid, hard stop. Again, for me, my break even point was 1.25 years thanks to the fuel savings. I fully understand that NOW people can get the Outback for much cheaper but BACK THEN, you couldn’t.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
462 Posts
Where did you get a Rav4 Hybrid with no sunroof? Did you mean no Panoramic roof?
I happened to stumble on a base XLE. That is the only add-ons was a all weather packages, The rubber mats and cargo area mat and backseat protection. I had a very tight budget, most dealer offered only trims with tons of add-ons for like 35k and up, I got an email from Toyota universe and on the site was this xle listed. Otg was right on my budget of max 32k. It is not that you can not find one without sunroof, but most dealers add packages that push sunroof on you.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
18 Posts
Good read OP and subsequent discussions. This is my first AWD and hybrid. The Outback and Forester, even the Crosstrek, have been on my potential list for a while. Rented an Outback a couple of years ago and was really impressed with it in the mountains of Colorado. But I am really enjoying the 2021 RAV4 XSEh.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good read OP and subsequent discussions. This is my first AWD and hybrid. The Outback and Forester, even the Crosstrek, have been on my potential list for a while. Rented an Outback a couple of years ago and was really impressed with it in the mountains of Colorado. But I am really enjoying the 2021 RAV4 XSEh.
My wife drives our 2012 Impreza hatchback (just a lower Crosstrek) and we love that little car. It’s got 137K miles on it and besides what is in the maintenance schedule, it has only cost around $30 worth of repairs total (PVC valve and an idler pulley). It is even on its original brake pads and rotors with about 40% of life remaining (at nearly 140K!). Knock on wood, no issues with our CVT but I do drain and fills every 60K miles with AMSOIL CVT fluid which may be helping. Our only complaint is that fuel economy-wise it has never been great and never gets anywhere near its EPA estimates. When I was using it as a highway commuter, I was averaging 31.2 MPG and now that my wife uses it as her barn car it’s only getting 25.5.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
18 Posts
My wife drives our 2012 Impreza hatchback (just a lower Crosstrek) and we love that little car. It’s got 137K miles on it and besides what is in the maintenance schedule, it has only cost around $30 worth of repairs total (PVC valve and an idler pulley). It is even on its original brake pads and rotors with about 40% of life remaining (at nearly 140K!). Knock on wood, no issues with our CVT but I do drain and fills every 60K miles with AMSOIL CVT fluid which may be helping. Our only complaint is that fuel economy-wise it has never been great and never gets anywhere near its EPA estimates. When I was using it as a highway commuter, I was averaging 31.2 MPG and now that my wife uses it as her barn car it’s only getting 25.5.
That's cool. Yeah, MPG is one of the major reason for the hybrid. You can't beat 30+ MPG in an SUV, compact or not.

BTW, what's a "barn car"?

·
Registered
235 Posts
That's cool. Yeah, MPG is one of the major reason for the hybrid. You can't beat 30+ MPG in an SUV, compact or not.

BTW, what's a "barn car"?
She’s an equestrian so her car is just used to go back and forth to her barn about 10 miles away. It is permanently plastered with mud and cat footprints up and down the windshield and the interior is covered in horse hair and wood shavings. The trunk is filled with different leads, crops, chaps, boots, horse shoes, and various sprays and liniments. That’s what is referred to as a “barn car”.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
18 Posts
She’s an equestrian so her car is just used to go back and forth to her barn about 10 miles away. It is permanently plastered with mud and cat footprints up and down the windshield and the interior is covered in horse hair and wood shavings. The trunk is filled with different leads, crops, chaps, boots, horse shoes, and various sprays and liniments. That’s what is referred to as a “barn car”.
Haha. Alrighty then.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts