Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Rav4, (2.5 L, Auto Tranny).
Looked at the Manual and didn't see a location of the dipstick for the Tranny.
Is there no need to check it?

Sorry, I haven't had a new car in a lot of years and am not familiar with new cars and must admit didn't read the whole Manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,894 Posts
Dipsticks for newer auto transmissions were eliminated and require special dealer only checks for fluid. Access the search function here, there are more questions just like this. From what I have read it is not a do it yourself function.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I'd like the 3 on the tree but not the brakes!
You just brought back some scary memories of my '67 Chevelle driving through Jerome AZ.

Powerglide went limp on the way up, no brakes on the way down. Installed a trans cooler in the motel parking lot in Flagstaff and never had another problem with the trans.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You just brought back some scary memories of my '67 Chevelle driving through Jerome AZ.

Powerglide went limp on the way up, no brakes on the way down. Installed a trans cooler in the motel parking lot in Flagstaff and never had another problem with the trans.
Ah, the good old days. If you had a hammer, a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and some wire (coat hangers were good . . . you could even wire weld with them), you could fix anything. If you ran out of wire, there was usually a fence nearby. You could file points with a matchbook striker and set the gap with the cover. Then, adjust the timing with an am radio or the cellophane from a pack of Lucky Strikes.
But, as a previous poster noted, it's a lot more fun today because cars, especially Toyotas, don't break down as often (if ever). When they do, just call the dealer and have him send a rollback, because you will never fix it yourself.
The old days were fun. The new stuff is more reliable. Good thing. I don't smoke anymore, so half of my "emergency tool kit" is missing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post my work around since i still see no other work around. Obviously the temp has to be between 104° and 114°F and on a level surface to check, pull the plug any excess is overfill, check TSB to confirm I may be off on temp a bit, problem is viewing the temp, so i installed an aftermarket trans temp gauge in my glove box for $130 ish, tee'd a temp sensor into the cooler feed line, these are the parts i used. Because I cant afford $1200 techstream software.

Maxtow double vision 52mm trans temp gauge.

1/8 27 NPT 44re trans temp sensor adapter

3/8" barbed 1/8 NPT Tee from GlowShift.

And some creativity. I got everything on amazon 2 day shipping with prime. Works great, the gauge has excellent reviews and shows very accurate temp range from 80°f to 260°f in analog and digital, and now I'm confident my trans fluid level in my 18 xle is correct after the flush I did, i also pull a light trailer for work, so now I can keep an eye on my transmission while towing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts