Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
:ROFLMAO:
Apples and Orangutans

I'd like to see Scotty after months of being forced to drive and refuel a RAV4 Hybrid with this issue. I'm willing to wager a huge pile of other people's money Scotty would blow a vessel clean out his forehead over the fuel system design and its proclivity for refusing gasoline on an empty tank.

Here's your broccoli Scotty, open wide.

Reactions: Keith_A

·
Registered
48 Posts
According to my local dealership, at this point, zero advice from Toyota Canada to dealers on a fix for this.

·
Registered
482 Posts
. . . . like the Vaccine, it is coming so soon, very soon, unbelievably soon, and it will be HUGELY GREAT, the Best, the problem will disappear.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,386 Posts
Asked my dealer Thursday and they said still no word.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just like Joe's memory that is partially gone already.... lol
The only thing "progressive" about Joe is his dementia. Meanwhile a protective psychiatric hold is being drafted for Don the Con.

Toyota plans to remove the gas tank and replace it with a 25 foot extension cord.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just got a 2021 xse and the dealership isn't aware of the gas tank issue. They covered my first fill-up so my sales guy saw that my first fill up only took 42 litres from bottom of the needle. And suppose to be a 55 litre tank.

I just want to make sure the tank is actually 55 litres and I actually have about 13 litres of reserve left before I run out entirely. And anybody else get their tank changed and get higher range on the needle?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Rav4 hybrid XLE with convenience package and winter driving package upgrades
2 Posts
That is what I normally do. And yes, it amounts to 2 - 3 more gallons of gas in the tank. (Could probably get even more in the tank, but there should be a little "headspace" in the tank.) Frankly, I seriously doubt that I'm over-filling the tank. The tank in this hybrid is clearly different from any other car I've ever owned...
Same for me ..i almost always end up having to explain it to some guy who thinks he has to tell me that it's full and to stop trying to put more in it and he then is amazed when i pit 3 gallons more in ..lol guess they don't make Toyota's like they used too .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same for me ..i almost always end up having to explain it to some guy who thinks he has to tell me that it's full and to stop trying to put more in it and he then is amazed when i pit 3 gallons more in ..lol guess they don't make Toyota's like they used too .
Ya it's not the old Toyota's for sure like my dad's 99 Camry that's still flying with only oil changes as it's only maintenance . But we have to blame this on the EPA for making regulations harder on manufacturers so they have to squeeze so much more out of smaller engines and the consumer for wanting more tech than they actually need but just want more so for aesthetics.
Atleast this is a minor problem mainly an annoyance of not being able to enjoy the expected fuel milage with one fillup. I'm still happy I got my XSE over a CR-V or other brands. Honda just did a massive recall because their cars could catch fire and their turbo engines have been built like shit too. And Nissan has gone down the shitter since Renault merged with them and started cheaping out on all their parts and quality. The way I see it in the automotive industry if they try to sell you a car with so many features at the same price as a Toyota that has less features. Always take the Toyota because they'll spend their money on quality control and durability over flash. Especially if you own the car for awhile and not just leasing it.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,386 Posts
How many times in how many threads....

There is a CSP for the US cars and the equivalent for Canadian-sold cars.

It fixed my issues.

I can fill at the highest rate of fill.
I get a sensible DTE based on my typical MPG.
My gauge needle is just beyond F when auto pump shutoff occurs.

This all occurs the three times I have filled my car up since the tank and sensor was replaced and the system re-calibrated. See your dealer.

No I can't get 14.5 gallons of gas into the tank safely or get a DTE based on that amount of gas. The CSP says I shouldn't expect that on page 9.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought this 2019 hybrid not long ago in Canada, and was frustrated with the gas tank only fills up to 2/3 of its capacity.
<snip> very upset about this. Good luck everyone, hope this help.
After my tank upgrade on 11/16, I went from averaging about 8.5 gallons per fill (2nd auto shutoff) to now, 13.8 gallons per fill. That leads me to believe there are about 2 gallons in my tank when the refuel light goes on, and 3/4 gallon in my tank when it hits "E".

This is a good fix, and what should have been in the car when it left the factory. Took 4 hours to diagnose, and brought it back two days later for a 1-day swap. No issues since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my gas tank replaced the last week of December and finally needed to fill it up today.

I drove it until it got to ”0 Distance to Empty”. The low fuel light came in around “30 Distance to Empty”.

I am happy to report it took 12.06 gallons when the gas pump first clicked off. That leaves about 2.5 gallons of reserve at 0 DTE which is better by 1-2 gallons from what I was getting before.

My average MPG for this tank was 37.5 (it has been a cold few weeks in Nashville area). I did do one more click on the fill-up and it went to 12.4 gallons. I won’t do that in the future so I don’t mess up the filling system.

After filling, the DTE shows 531 miles which is awesome and higher than I’ve ever seen. It may be higher in the warmer months when I get 40-41mpg.

So far the tank replacement is working well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
After my tank upgrade on 11/16, I went from averaging about 8.5 gallons per fill (2nd auto shutoff) to now, 13.8 gallons per fill. That leads me to believe there are about 2 gallons in my tank when the refuel light goes on, and 3/4 gallon in my tank when it hits "E".

This is a good fix, and what should have been in the car when it left the factory. Took 4 hours to diagnose, and brought it back two days later for a 1-day swap. No issues since.
Nice did you do your tank upgrade in Canada or US? If Canada what did you tell them initially to get them to do the upgrade?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice did you do your tank upgrade in Canada or US? If Canada what did you tell them initially to get them to do the upgrade?
US, not Canada, but there is a TSB for it so won't a Canadian dealer accept the obvious problem and conduct the service? Being Canadian, wouldn't it just be the polite thing to do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
US, not Canada, but there is a TSB for it so won't a Canadian dealer accept the obvious problem and conduct the service? Being Canadian, wouldn't it just be the polite thing to do?
Haha you would think so but every dealership sets their own rules, when I take my car into service I'm going to try and get this fixed. I even called Toyota Canada and I was the first one to report the gas tank issues for 2021 model back in October.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Rav4 hybrid XLE with convenience package and winter driving package upgrades
2 Posts
Bought this 2019 hybrid not long ago in Canada, and was frustrated with the gas tank only fills up to 2/3 of its capacity.
Called Toyota Canada for a case number as suggested by others in the forum, and “chatted” with the service for almost an hour to persuade the guy that this car has problem. (I was told that Hybrid needs more gas to get the car running in case of running out of gas, which is full of BS just to make you stop bothering them. There’s no way a car has almost 20L of reserve tank)
Finally they took in the car, and I was told they chatted with Toyota Canada, and the HQ suggested a gas tank change, so I waited two weeks for the part.
I was able to fill only 38L out of 55L gas tank when the car is at empty 0km. After the change I was able to fill up to 48L, and was able to get almost 150km extra range. A gas tank change does fix the problem (Weather is cold atm, would get more when it’s warmer)
I hope everyone who experiences the same issue can get a fix from the dealer, and let them take it seriously. This should be an official recall and Toyota should admit that they made a big mistake here, and not leave people frustrated like this, very upset about this.
Good luck everyone, hope this help.
That's great news ! The early word was that the fix would do little good .i would be very happy to get the extended range bring a new tank. Now my only question is. Are all the foxes being done the same way with the same parts for everyone . Any part Id numbers or info on the process as it applies to your replacement would be a big help in keeping Toyota and the dealer I take it to honest would be very helpful . Thanks again 🙂🎉

·
Registered
2020 Limited Hybrid
120 Posts
Got my 2020 Limited Hybrid back tonight after 3 repairs, one being the tank. The tank was full from the dealer which surprised me, the needle was farther past the F on the dash that I ever saw before. DTE was around 454. I was only seeing 390 DTE on my recent fill-ups and it definitely got worse since I bought the car last Jan. So we will see how this goes with the new tank, fingers crossed!

The mirror fix was done as well, will have to test on the freeway tomorrow, but they don't vibrate anymore when I shut the door, so I am thinking it will be improved.

I got the lastest Firmware update done, and now the Toyota connect works, good thing, I have about 5 days left of the free service! LMAO.

I will report back on the tank results after I have a few fill ups, that could be a while without much travel these days.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts