Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2019 Hybrid New Gas Tank Change experience

20330 112
Bought this 2019 hybrid not long ago in Canada, and was frustrated with the gas tank only fills up to 2/3 of its capacity.
Called Toyota Canada for a case number as suggested by others in the forum, and “chatted” with the service for almost an hour to persuade the guy that this car has problem. (I was told that Hybrid needs more gas to get the car running in case of running out of gas, which is full of BS just to make you stop bothering them. There’s no way a car has almost 20L of reserve tank)
Finally they took in the car, and I was told they chatted with Toyota Canada, and the HQ suggested a gas tank change, so I waited two weeks for the part.
I was able to fill only 38L out of 55L gas tank when the car is at empty 0km. After the change I was able to fill up to 48L, and was able to get almost 150km extra range. A gas tank change does fix the problem (Weather is cold atm, would get more when it’s warmer)
I hope everyone who experiences the same issue can get a fix from the dealer, and let them take it seriously. This should be an official recall and Toyota should admit that they made a big mistake here, and not leave people frustrated like this, very upset about this.
Good luck everyone, hope this help.
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Toyota bought back my '19 for this issue and my '20 has the same problem.

So to sum up all I've read:
the fix is quite effective and I should ask for a loaner/rental when making the appointment.

Anything I'm missing? Any evidence I should capture in photo/video before taking it in? My biggest concern is a local dealer doing the work - the risk of error and damage to my vehicle is much higher outside of the factory (though those fears will not prevent me from taking it in and finally getting the DTE I was expecting a couple of years ago.
I first wrote a form fill to the dealership service department where I'd purchased my unit, then spoke with a SA.

I simply told him the unit (mfg'd 7/19) had the issue, that I was interested in getting the "fix", and what, if any, parameters he wanted me to fulfill prior to presenting the unit at his desk.

He asked that I bring it in at the appointment date/time with as little gasoline in the tank as comfortable.

Done and done.

YMMV

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
194 Posts
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited just got appointment to get gas tank issue fixed. Had received letter from Toyota Canada back in November but just never got around to it. They said it needs a new tank and sending unit. The most range I got was around 625km and the most fill to first click was around 34L. Look forward to more range!

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got my tank replaced, the first tank after the fix was 618 miles DTE by the computer. But thinking I would get 500 miles actual dte at most, I haven't finished the first tank (after the fix) yet. Right now, I am at 290 (DTE) + 240 (driven).

I usually filled up the old tank with 10-10.5 gallon gas at the fuel light, which gave me 450-470 actual DTE. The number matches my all time Fuelly mileage @45-46. It looks that my new tank might not solve my problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
45 - 46 MPG is excellent! Problem?
Yes it's good. But I don't want to go to the gas station every 470 miles. If I can fill up the tank I would visit the gas pump less frequently, 12.2*45=550 miles mileage would be great. Now, it looks I have to accept that Toyota hasn't come up with a good fix for the tank problem and settle with that 470 miles range.

I also have a Venza, which might have the same tank issue, I will know for certain in a couple of weeks when I finish the first tank of gas.

·
Registered
622 Posts
When DTE approaches 0 then it is just a reminder tank is getting low and time to refuel. Tank is rated for 14.5 USG so actual range to empty based on your mpg is in excess of 600 miles. If you were to set your trip meter on fill up and compare it to DTE, current MPG and tank gauge then it would be quite easy to extract maximum mileage per tank if so desired. A few people have intentionally and unintentionally ran out of fuel and in all cases were able to get in excess of 14.5 gals. at first click. Have owned and rented quite a few different vehicles (one Toyota) with DTE displays and they all were all very conservative with their readings. Not to long ago, a gas gauge was all we had!

·
Registered
9 Posts
To make a long story short, my dealer said my tank is not affected although my VIN was in the problem list and I had received a letter from Toyota. On my last fill up after driving about 30 miles with the low fuel light on, I put in 9.6 gallons. I still don't know if that meant there were still 4 gallons left in the tank (the dealer claimed that when they refilled the tank, they put 14.09 gallons in.) Or does it really mean that my tank can't hold 14.5 gallons? Or does it mean my gauge doesn't work? I was frustrated with this visit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong: What I do is top off. Luckily I'm over in Washington and not Oregon. I keep topping off until the headlamp I'm shining down the tube shows the gas come just up to the bottom of the tube. Then I look at the gas pump and see how much more I've put in. Consistently it's three and a quarter gallons. How is this not a problem?
Joe.
PS DTE is a GUESStimate. My rough driving gets 33 mpg but I get around 450 miles per (complete) fill up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To make a long story short, my dealer said my tank is not affected although my VIN was in the problem list and I had received a letter from Toyota. On my last fill up after driving about 30 miles with the low fuel light on, I put in 9.6 gallons. I still don't know if that meant there were still 4 gallons left in the tank (the dealer claimed that when they refilled the tank, they put 14.09 gallons in.) Or does it really mean that my tank can't hold 14.5 gallons? Or does it mean my gauge doesn't work? I was frustrated with this visit.
Attached is the technical service bulletin. You can see a couple things: The gas tank issue only effects Japanese-built RAV4s (according to Toyota), and second, read the test procedure - it sets the refuel light to go on at full minus 9.8 gallons, so you could request that - you only get 9.6 gallons 30 miles after the light went on, so more like 8.9 if you refuelled immediately.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Attached is the technical service bulletin. You can see a couple things: The gas tank issue only effects Japanese-built RAV4s (according to Toyota), and second, read the test procedure - it sets the refuel light to go on at full minus 9.8 gallons, so you could request that - you only get 9.6 gallons 30 miles after the light went on, so more like 8.9 if you refuelled immediately.
Hello...you are spreading misinformation.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,287 Posts
Hello...you are spreading misinformation.
View attachment 171351
My June built '19 Canadian built Rav4h had the fuel fill problem and received the fix. My gauge now shows slightly above F at auto shut off and DTE above 500.

In order to receive the fix, the dealer is supposed to first do a test fill. Mine was received back after the fix with the exact amount of fuel I delivered it with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
UPDATE: I've had this in the dealer shop twice to fix this and it's still not fixed. I think I'm getting BS'D.
Rather than go to the dealer a third time to fix this I'm going to call Toyota Corporate and find out how I can be sure.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
194 Posts
UPDATE: I've had this in the dealer shop twice to fix this and it's still not fixed. I think I'm getting BS'D.
Rather than go to the dealer a third time to fix this I'm going to call Toyota Corporate and find out how I can be sure.
I don't drive very much, been to 2 dealerships and can't believe the BS coming out of their mouths! When the light comes on I basically have 3.3 gallons left in the tank, manual said it should be 2.2 gallons. Then I go to fill the tank until it clicks off which is 11.2 to top off. 11.2 + 3.3= 14.5 gallon tank. Their BS is well it depends on the temperature you're pumping, your not counting the fuel in the lines, pump, & filter!

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
844 Posts
I don't drive very much, been to 2 dealerships and can't believe the BS coming out of their mouths! When the light comes on I basically have 3.3 gallons left in the tank, manual said it should be 2.2 gallons. Then I go to fill the tank until it clicks off which is 11.2 to top off. 11.2 + 3.3= 14.5 gallon tank. Their BS is well it depends on the temperature you're pumping, your not counting the fuel in the lines, pump, & filter!
Auto stop occurs before the tank is absolutely full. You are well within what Toyota considers to be normal.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If you are filling 11.2 gallons, with a DTE of 28 miles, then that seems completely normal to me. DTE is actually Distance-To-Reserve.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
194 Posts
After thinking about this a million times. Toyota made the mistake of saying the car has 14.5-gallon tank. The tank is a very odd shape similar to saddle bags, with a lot of little bumps in the top area of the tank. This creates air pockets, so in reality, you can only get 12 gallons in the tank.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
After thinking about this a million times. Toyota made the mistake of saying the car has 14.5-gallon tank. The tank is a very odd shape similar to saddle bags, with a lot of little bumps in the top area of the tank. This creates air pockets, so in reality, you can only get 12 gallons in the tank. View attachment 185667
Not sure you are correct. The hybrid tank is not shaped like a saddlebag and several people on this forum have run their tanks dry and then re-filled them with about 14.5 gallons.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,287 Posts
Perhaps Toyota should link the low fuel light to the fuel injection pressure sensor. Low fuel pressure = empty tank. That way drivers will know when tank is actually empty. Makes sense, doesn't it?
If you actually run out of fuel, you'll need either a tow to a dealer or a diagnostic app that links to the cars computer via the OBD port and the smarts to use it. It isn't enough just to refill from a gas can any more. That is why the standards bodies specifications on how a fuel tank should be administered require two separate warnings at differing levels of fuel in the tank. They really really don't want you running out of fuel. Nor do they want you overfilling. In either case you may have to pay for the cost of repair.

If you go to the Honda CRV forums you will see them complaining about no spare tire. The manufacturers had a choice of a bigger tank or the spare, Each maker chose differently.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts