Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Perhaps Toyota should link the low fuel light to the fuel injection pressure sensor. Low fuel pressure = empty tank. That way drivers will know when tank is actually empty. Makes sense, doesn't it?
Back in the late 80's a coworker got a fancy new car that talked to him. One morning on the way to work his car sputtered and died in the middle of a long bridge. As his car coasted to a stop, the voice came on telling him "fuel level low." I am glad that Toyota is conservative and has a reserve.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
194 Posts
Perhaps Toyota should link the low fuel light to the fuel injection pressure sensor. Low fuel pressure = empty tank. That way drivers will know when tank is actually empty. Makes sense, doesn't it?
When the caution light comes on it has 2.5 gallons left. When it finally gets to the E mark it has 1.5 gallons of fuel left.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,287 Posts
A gas tank change to a saddle-shape design means the RAV4 Hybrids cannot achieve their advertised 580 miles on a full tank of gas Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Gas Tank Size Questioned in Lawsuit | CarComplaints.com View attachment 185742

That lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice. That sometimes means that on further thinking, the suing party realized they weren't going to win. Or the judge did. Not a good investment by the suing lawyers as they had to pay their own costs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After calling Toyota Corporate with my complaint they gave me the name of someone at my dealer to make a 'special' appointment.
Went in on the appointed time asked for person and was just given the usual paper work without seeing him.
After the tank was 'fixed' I drove just couple of miles and then went to my favorite Costco and put an extra 3 gals in the tank.
and the needle went from just on F to left of F. I may have been premature in filling to topoff.

I don't know what to think. I'll wait until I use up most of the tank and see what happens.

There seems to be a disagreement going around about what I'm doing. I can understand the idea of the 'don't spill gas' argument .
I'm very careful to not spill any and our state's vapor recovery makes sure of that but I can topoff 3 GALLONS more with out even getting close to spilling any gas???????????

·
Registered
820 Posts
The experience I've had with my unit, manufactured July '19, is that the fuel gauge is a randomized software dart thrown at a moving wall which may or may not have a dart board hanging on it. This RAV4 Hybrid vehicle is like no other vehicle I've ever driven when it comes to go juice and whatever quantity of the same may be on board or adding to that mystery amount at a fueling station.

The entire experience defies Vegas bookmakers . . . . . before and following "the fix".

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,287 Posts
After calling Toyota Corporate with my complaint they gave me the name of someone at my dealer to make a 'special' appointment.
Went in on the appointed time asked for person and was just given the usual paper work without seeing him.
After the tank was 'fixed' I drove just couple of miles and then went to my favorite Costco and put an extra 3 gals in the tank.
and the needle went from just on F to left of F. I may have been premature in filling to topoff.

I don't know what to think. I'll wait until I use up most of the tank and see what happens.

There seems to be a disagreement going around about what I'm doing. I can understand the idea of the 'don't spill gas' argument .
I'm very careful to not spill any and our state's vapor recovery makes sure of that but I can topoff 3 GALLONS more with out even getting close to spilling any gas???????????
My experience on my '19 after the fix is the needle shows a needle width beyond F at auto shut off. There is a vapor or splash area so I may go one click more or round up to the nearest dollar.

·
Registered
820 Posts
As of late, I've taken to slow fill (when time permits) . . . . while this does not provide for dependable and bullet-proof results, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Reactions: Keith_A

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 19 is similar. Very unpredictable. Fix was done a year ago. Usually I can get 12 gallons in, but there are times it auto stops at 10. Very disappointing a thing so basic does not work. The only saving grace is 35 mpg so fill ups are still 350-400 miles.

·
Registered
2022 RAV4-Hybrid XLE Premium, Blizzard Pearl
55 Posts
My experience on my '19 after the fix is the needle shows a needle width beyond F at auto shut off. There is a vapor or splash area so I may go one click more or round up to the nearest dollar.
Interesting... The gas gauge on my 2022 always shows a needle width beyond F at every fill auto shut off since I bought it. The Low Fuel waring light consistently comes on when DTE is 30-32 and the needle is at least one needle width above "E" (usually more). So far I have had 18 fill ups where the pump auto shut off at 10 or more gallons (mostly 11-12 gals and a couple of 13s). I Never, Ever top off.

I suspect Toyota changed something with the fuel system, tank, gauge or software on the 2022s or my RAV4 has a different kind of fuel issue because the whole 9.8 gallon capacity and splash area theory does not seem to apply in my case or some other 2022 owners that I have seen.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
844 Posts
I suspect Toyota changed something with the fuel system, tank, gauge or software on the 2022s or my RAV4 has a different kind of fuel issue because the whole 9.8 gallon capacity and splash area theory does not seem to apply in my case or some other 2022 owners that I have seen.
Your Rav works just like my 2019 after the fix. Nothing mysterious. You have the fix built in. All gas tanks have a splash/vapor area. The 9.8 figure is Toyota covering themselves so they don't have to fix (or refix) as many vehicles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I assumed this board--who had many member willing to criticize folks complaining about this issue the first few years--had it well resolved by now.

After a year of denying any problem then admitting the problem and taking a good chunk of the next year to get a fix out, the fix is out. Did not involve switching out the gas tank, but a replacement of fill tube apparatus as I recall.

If anyone knows that the new model tanks are NOT saddle shaped, then that leads me to think that is why the fix isn't perfect for us--it's much better, but we still aren't able to get it full at times. I will check with our dealer on that.

Other points in the thread--I had heard and assumed toyota coming out with the fix was what led to one lawsuit (I think there was more than one) being dismissed.

And yes to get even close to full amount of gas our tanks were supposed to hold, before the fix we had to keep trickling in more gas carefully after the auto shut off shut down a fill way too early--I htink some reports said around 3 to 4 gallons short of capacity the vapor system was shutting off pumps.

And there was what I still assume legitimate warnings against "overfilling" hybrid gas tanks. That had long been a warning from Toyota directly, at least.

There were some posts about accuracy of the gas gauge itself and lots of chatter about the computer computed "miles to empty" as well. Never was sure about the former but the latter is really tricky to dive into as it relies on driving history and other factors which can cause the reading to vary among owners with the same amount of gas in their tanks.

Hard to quibble with gas still at 3.50 a gallon here, but it was a big issue for many of us until 'the fix"

·
Registered
820 Posts
A couple of thoughts straight off the top.

" . . . . get a fix out, the fix is out. Did not involve switching out the gas tank, but a replacement of fill tube apparatus as I recall. '

BUZZ, new tank, new sending unit, new gasket between new tank and new sending unit.

" . . . . If anyone knows that the new model tanks are NOT saddle shaped,"

The "saddle" tank is on the ICE RAV4. The "saddle" is for the purpose of allowing a physical clearance for the drive shaft to make its trip from the front of the vehicle to the rear axle.

The fuel containment device on the RAV4 Hybrid is NOT saddle shaped.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts