Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I skimmed through the other thread and I know a couple of the users had remote starts installed so that's why I'm making a fresh one.
So go to start it up after being parked for around 20 minutes and it displayed a new splash screen I have not seen before, and rotates
through about 6 error messages.

Hybrid system malfunction - visit your dealer
Secondary collision brake system malfunction - visit your dealer
Drive-Start control malfunction - visit your dealer
Check engine - visit your dealer
Pre-collision system malfunction - visit your dealer
Braking power low - visit your dealer

The dealership told me to keep trying and eventually it should start again, which it does thank goodness. He said he's had a number of these issues
and it's gone up the ladder to corporate and will let me know when a fix is available. He said it's safe to drive in the meantime. A bit jarring seeing
the check engine lit solid with the "hybrid system malfunction - visit your dealer" displayed prominently on the dash that I can't get rid of.

Not good.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
Here's another.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will read up on that one. Yeah a bit scattered at the moment. Was a pretty freakish thing worrying how I was going to get it out of the garage when it would not start, how I was
going to get to work, and so on.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Here's another.

FYI, this was my thread and just wanted to point out that I only had the one message About the Hybrid System Malfunction. There were no other error messages involved EXCEPT the engine light also came on. I have no remote start installed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, this was my thread and just wanted to point out that I only had the one message About the Hybrid System Malfunction. There were no other error messages involved. I have no remote start installed.
Yeah I got the whole smorgasboard of all 6 messages above. I wonder if the relay issue will take care of all 6 of mine haha :-(

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yeah I got the whole smorgasboard of all 6 messages above. I wonder if the relay issue will take care of all 6 of mine haha :-(
Good luck! Please keep us informed, especially if it’s a relay. There are other folks having relay issues, most seem related to very cold weather.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Between -15 and -20 degrees Celsius appears to be the threshold that was crossed when all our issues crept up. Not sure where you are in Canada but that could be a factor. based on the issue describe and then you could experience this even if it was -10 or lower, maybe even - 5.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I skimmed through the other thread and I know a couple of the users had remote starts installed so that's why I'm making a fresh one.
So go to start it up after being parked for around 20 minutes and it displayed a new splash screen I have not seen before, and rotates
through about 6 error messages.

Hybrid system malfunction - visit your dealer
Secondary collision brake system malfunction - visit your dealer
Drive-Start control malfunction - visit your dealer
Check engine - visit your dealer
Pre-collision system malfunction - visit your dealer
Braking power low - visit your dealer

The dealership told me to keep trying and eventually it should start again, which it does thank goodness. He said he's had a number of these issues
and it's gone up the ladder to corporate and will let me know when a fix is available. He said it's safe to drive in the meantime. A bit jarring seeing
the check engine lit solid with the "hybrid system malfunction - visit your dealer" displayed prominently on the dash that I can't get rid of.

Not good.
Just curious if your hybrid made any unusual noises or other odd behavior. Mine made a major rattling noise when restarted after having been towed back to the dealership.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Between -15 and -20 degrees Celsius appears to be the threshold that was crossed when all our issues crept up. Not sure where you are in Canada but that could be a factor. based on the issue describe and then you could experience this even if it was -10 or lower, maybe even - 5.
I'm in the B.C. interior and it's been fluctuating betwen -18C to -24C here this past week. So sounds like the exact same as you...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious if your hybrid made any unusual noises or other odd behavior. Mine made a major rattling noise when restarted after having been towed back to the dealership.
Mine wasn't towed back, the dealership had me try to start it over and over until it started - and that worked so I'm still able to drive it. Just the check engine - see dealer
prominently displayed. I notice lots of other rattles but nothing huge/concerning, just the annoying buzzing from the visors, the passenger speaker, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I'm in the B.C. interior and it's been fluctuating betwen -18C to -24C here this past week. So sounds like the exact same as you...
Yeah, maybe have them contact the Timmins Ontario dealership, as they just had eight or so go through on warranty.

Plus the fluctuation in temperatures makes it even worse as far as humidity and condensation goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine wasn't towed back, the dealership had me try to start it over and over until it started - and that worked so I'm still able to drive it. Just the check engine - see dealer
prominently displayed. I notice lots of other rattles but nothing huge/concerning, just the annoying buzzing from the visors, the passenger speaker, etc.
Funny you say that about the visors because they drive me crazy as well!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually got both my visors replaced. I took a video if them both sounding like they had a bumble bee stuck in them when going over slightly rougher stretches of highway. Smooth stretches were no issue. But when you go onto a highway that's say 20yrs old and it's a bit rougher "bzzzzzz" from the visors. I tried wrapping elastics around them, wedging business cards in the sliding mirror part, and so on. The service advisor came with a ride and within about 1 minute he said yep we gotta do something about those. The replacements took care of about 90% of the noise from them which is livable compared to before. My guess is the wire(s) inside the visor assembly weren't taped down or somehow worked their way loose because you touch it, and it went away. Then came back in a minute. You pull out the visor extension part and it would go away for a minute, then come back. Just nowhere near the joy I should be having after dropping $40,000 on Toyota "quality".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2019 (delivered Sept 2019; 7000km) has twice in the past two weeks, not started on first try after a short drive, then throws a "hybrid system malfunction" code that won't go away. Towed to the dealer first time about two weeks ago, they did a software upgrade. Same problem again today. Both days around -15 to -20C, but still...a brand new car that won't start, the gives a code? The entire reason I bought the car was to avoid this kind of garbage. Any word on others having this problem? And what the solution was?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Our 2019 (delivered Sept 2019; 7000km) has twice in the past two weeks, not started on first try after a short drive, then throws a "hybrid system malfunction" code that won't go away. Towed to the dealer first time about two weeks ago, they did a software upgrade. Same problem again today. Both days around -15 to -20C, but still...a brand new car that won't start, the gives a code? The entire reason I bought the car was to avoid this kind of garbage. Any word on others having this problem? And what the solution was?
See if you are affected by engine recall

·
Registered
247 Posts
Last time when I was about to knock on wood for not having a dead battery, it suddenly happened to me. Now all bets are off.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Last time when I was about to knock on wood for not having a dead battery, it suddenly happened to me. Now all bets are off.
Darn, that is discouraging. The temperature is supposed to be minus -2F here tonight. This will be a cold test for my new RAV4. I brought my Weego jump starter inside in case I wake up to a dead battery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts