Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to search this and maybe one already exists and I missed it anyway, but if not I would like to start this summary for DIYers that maintain their own RAV4. I have LOTS of info missing (part #s or measurements), so I am hoping that you can reply by filling in what's missing from my/your experience. This particular list is for AWD models, but I'm sure there are lots of overlap which again I am hoping that you all would add on to this post. I would then update this post so that everybody can just look at the first post as reference. I am hoping admin can turn this into a sticky too.

All information here was gathered from the owners manual, parts websites, and members on the forums. Use at your own discretion.

WHEELS
Wheel torque: 76 ft-lb

FILTERS
Engine Air filter: 17801-F0020
Cabin filter: 87139-0R030 (regular) / 87139-YZZ37 (charcoal)

OIL
0W16 (4.4 qt/4.2L without filter or 4.8qt/4.5L with filter)
Oil drain torque: 30 ft-lb
Drain plug washer (__mm): (part# missing)

Oil Filter: 90915-YZZF2
OIl Filter torque: 13 ft-lb
Toyota OEM oil filter tool: PT09228-06502 (64mm/14 flutes)

Note: Use a 14mm wrench for the drain plug, an oil filter wrench on the filter, and a ziplock bag over the filter to keep things clean.

TRANSFER CASE (AWD models)
Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LX 75W85 GL-5
Torque Control AWD models: 0.48qt/0.45L
Torque Vectoring AWD models: 0.428qt/0.405L
Fill/Drain plug washer (__mm): (part# missing)
Fill/Drain torque: __ ft-lb

REAR DIFF (AWD models)
Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LX 75W85 GL-5
Torque Control AWD models: 0.5qt/0.5L
Torque Vectoring AWD models: 0.554qt/0.525L
Drain plug torque: __ ft-lb
Fill plug washer (__mm): (part# missing)
Fill plug torque: __ ft-lb

TRANSMISSION FLUID
Toyota Genuine ATF WS (7.8qt/7.4L)
Transmission filter: (part# missing)
Drain plug torque: __ ft-lb

COOLANT
Toyota Super Long Life Coolant
Without engine cooler: 7.3qt/6.9L
With engine cooler: 7.4qt/7.0L

BRAKES
Brake fluid:
FMVSS No. 116 DOT3 or SAE J1703
FMVSS No. 116 DOT4 or SAE J1704

SPARK PLUGS
Denso FC16HR-Q8 (gap = 0.031in/0.8mm)

WINDSHIELD WIPERS
(part# missing)
For non-OEM blades go with 26" and 16" blades.

Other Helpful Stuff
Locations of components, thanks to @speedkar9 from Toyota RAV4 Mechanical Review:

Accessing the Service Menu
  1. Park your Rav4 somewhere flat with the wheel as straight as possible. And then turn off your car.
  2. Start your car again and go to the infotainment screen and shut off your audio (press in the volume dial) and then shut off the screen display by pressing the "Menu" and finding the option near the bottom right.
  3. Once the screen is off, Press the "Seek" button 5 times and then press the "Track" button 5 times. A service menu should show up.
  4. Find the camera calibration menu at the bottom. It will be disabled if your ignition is not on.
  5. In that menu, there should be a grey option to the bottom left saying something like "steering angle calibration" or something like that. Hold your finger down on it and you should see another screen. Press next and then you'll see two options for calibrating the steering lines.
  6. Make sure your wheels are straight ahead and your wheel is not turned and press the option for setting the Steering Center Point.
  7. Then turn your wheel all the way left and press the Set Max Steering Angle option.
  8. Turn your wheel all the way to the right and press the Set Max Steering Angle option again.
  9. You can then turn your vehicle off and on again. (You might have to press a button on the infotainment to get the screen to show up again.)
  10. You should see the yellow guide lines now.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
500 Posts
I’ll bite, this is what I have saved in a notepad on my phone if you wanna tweak so it’s formatted:

OIL CHANGE MASTERLIST + TIRE ROTATION
Deal: Oil filter 90915-YZZF2 ~$4.22 (or ~$3.8X)
Toyota OEM oil filter tool: PT09228-06502 (64mm/14 flutes)
drain plug washer: PT90430-12031
Oil drain plug: PT90430-12031 (M12-1.25)

for cabin/engine air filter, hold to the light, if you can see through it you’re good
tighten old drain plug to ONLY30 ft./lb. torque, or just past ratchet tight (1/4 - 3/4 turn)
tighten oil filter to ‘hand tight’, as tight as you can - OR 13 ft./lb. torque
use NEW drain plug gasket/washer with every change
  • OIL CHANGE GUIDE
Would like to do my own maintenance, what do I need ???

• TIRE ROTATION

(a) temporarily tighten the axle hub nuts in the order shown in the illustration
(b) lower the vehicle
(c) fully tighten the axle hub nuts in the order shown in the illustration and torque to 76 ft./lb
How to perform tire rotation at home with only Jack and...

drain bolt socket 14mm hex
recommended oil change + tire rotation @ 10,000km-12,000km,
recommended air filter/cabin filter change @ 30,000km - 35,000km
  • OIL/FILTER
Oil (0W-16)
> C0BBA-0W16 1L (0W16 SN 1L)
OEM Oil Filter
> 90915-YZZF2
OEM Engine Air Filter
> 17801-F0020
OEM Cabin Air Filter
> Regular cabin filter 87139-0R030
Charcoal cabin filter 87139-YZZ37

With filter 4.8qt. (4.5L)
Without filter 4.4qt. (4.2L)

• CVT
Fluid capacity 4.1qt. (3.9L)
3 drain and fills - 12qt??)
Toyota Genuine ATF WS
==========================================

SERVICE INQUIRIES

• NEW Ask to check 12v battery charge level, complaints of people having dead batteries, especially in cold weather
  • >parasitic draw test?
  • NEW Ask to fill coolant, line is near low
  • >manual says it’s normal, solved
  • NEW Ask for update to software for VSC (vehicle stability control) for improved handling: when available
Moose Test

• change program for auto window up/down
Using Smart key to open all windows & moon roof

• any update ask abut relay for cold weather affecting 2020 hybrids
Cold Weather Issues with RAV4 Hybrid
Relay used: (Part# 90987-02031)
9098702031 - Relay. Igct; ignition, no. 1; parking control motor, no. 2 - Genuine Toyota Part

REPAIR

• WINDOW REPAIR
KIT:
Permatex 81546 Bullseye Windshield Repair Kit, 5ml, Blue, Glass Care - Amazon Canada
VIDEO:
Best used in warm and sunny weather but it will work in winter as long as their is sun! Cures with UV light. Blast the heat from inside the car to warm the windshield before application.

PARTS

• OEM Roof Crossbars (part# PT278-42192)
  • Yakima Skybox 18
Yakima SkyBox 18 - Bateman's Bicycle Company - Toronto, ON
OEM CROSSBARS ALLOWS 160LB’S MAX (Manual states roof max is 176.4LB’s)
SKYBOX IS 52LB’S, 108LB’S LEFT TO PLAY WITH
SKYBOX MAX LENGTH IS 190CM
  • KEY FOB BATTERY
(part# CR2032 - 3V)

• WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADES
Driver - 26”
Passenger - 16”

• Wheel nuts
Black lug nuts (6/P?) - PT076-60200-02
Black wheel lock DIO - PT276-35200-02

CAR TIPS AND TRICKS

Headlight aiming same technique for Rav4
Get car close to a wall, mark the beam cut-off, move back 25 feet, adjust the cut-off 2” lower than the previous marking.
My question is, since the Rav4 sits a bit higher than a sedan does, should the beam cut-off be adjusted more than 2” lower? Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like the low beams project light too high at the cars in front.

Reverse lines calibration/hidden menu
https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4club/comments/c0t4c7
How to access the service menu (2020 RAV4 LE)

1. Park your Rav4 somewhere flat with the wheel as straight as possible. And then turn off your car.
  2. Start your car again and go to the infotainment screen and shut off your audio (press in the volume dial) and then shut off the screen display by pressing the "Menu" and finding the option near the bottom right.
  3. Once the screen is off, Press the "Seek" button 5 times and then press the "Track" button 5 times. A service menu should show up.
  4. Find the camera calibration menu at the bottom. It will be disabled if your ignition is not on.
  5. In that menu, there should be a grey option to the bottom left saying something like "steering angle calibration" or something like that. Hold your finger down on it and you should see another screen. Press next and then you'll see two options for calibrating the steering lines.
  6. Make sure your wheels are straight ahead and your wheel is not turned and press the option for setting the Steering Center Point.
  7. Then turn your wheel all the way left and press the Set Max Steering Angle option.
  8. Turn your wheel all the way to the right and press the Set Max Steering Angle option again.
  9. You can then turn your vehicle off and on again. (You might have to press a button on the infotainment to get the screen to show up again.)
  10. You should see the yellow guide lines now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts