Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is shopping for a two tone 2019 XSE hybrid.
We went to a Toyota dealer, and I got a quote for a 2019 hybrid XSE in blizzard white/black top:

$35,276
I will be doing a trade-in

Simple question, should we get 2019 or wait for 2020?

Any issues with 2019 hybrid?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you search through the forum more you’ll find a lot of people having issues with filling up the gas tank on the 2019 hybrids. I would bring the issue up with your dealer and see how they respond.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Why can’t people use the search button on top of the page Instead of starting another discussion on the same toptic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you search through the forum more you’ll find a lot of people having issues with filling up the gas tank on the 2019 hybrids. I would bring the issue up with your dealer and see how they respond.
Hello Mr. Mike,

Thank you, I am aware and do see the gas tank issue you mentioned.
However, I was hoping to receive some advice / feedback from current owners of the 19 hybrids. We did test drive yesterday, and my wife likes it lots.

Also, being 2020 almost around the corner, I was wondering if it be better to have my wife wait a bit longer for a lower price and more inventory on the XSE Hybrid (It seems this two tone and white color) is hot cakes. No dealer has it in inventory.

Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why can’t people use the search button on top of the page Instead of starting another discussion on the same toptic.
Please, no need for a generalized response, especially based on speculation.
Search was used before me even joining this forum. I took it that this was the place to sign up, as opposed to other toyota or Rav forums because of the long and beaten up conversations of the gas fill issue. Due to the amount of chatter about it, I figured this would be the forum to join as a "potential" new member to the Rav4World and family (never had a Rav4).
Although, being a premium member with the remark given, was I wrong to have joined on this forum?

A warm welcome would of been a lot nicer than this sly and unhelpful remark, but hey thanks! :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you want guaranteed Android Auto, the engine to automatically shut off after 20 minutes if parked, and a possible fuel filling fix, wait for the 2020 model as these are the major changes that I am aware of.

If you have an Apple phone, like to car camp, don't care about an extra fill up every week, and want to save money get the 2019. I believe the price increase for the 2020 is a few hundred dollars but could be wrong. Also, hopefully you can negotiate a cheaper price on a 2019, depending upon demand in your area. I saved about $2K via Costco.

Lastly, if you do not keep a car long term, the 2020 will have better resale value when you want to sell it in the next few years.

We went to a Toyota dealer, and I got a quote for a 2019 hybrid XSE in blizzard white/black top:

$35,276

·
Registered
42 Posts

$35,276

Again, the fuel tank issue is a big thing since Toyota is unable or unwilling to fix up until now. My neighbor purchased a hybrid, and it does not appear to have the fueling issue. I would be sure that you demand to fill yours up when the low fuel light is on before taking delivery. You should be able to pump about 13 gallons when the low fuel light is on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There don't seem to be any overwhelming problems with the 2019 Rav4h. Except to some, the refueling problem is so significant that they post endless messages here and even some have forced a buyback. To me, the refueling problem is an irritant but would I trade my Rav4h for a CRV with its gas in oil problem or a Subaru with its more serious recall level issues, I wouldn't. My attitude is every car will have a problem or two and this one is an irritant at best. I fill at a slower rate and may even accept that I have to pump again until a second click. BFD. The car I might replace it with could have more serious problems. I've reported the problem and can wait for a fix that is known to fix the problem.

To answer the 19 versus 20 question requires much more knowledge of what you are going to use the car for, what your dealer is offering, what your phone is and how you use it, how important money is to you, etc. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We are going to get a 2020 XLE. Driver side power seat is standard and so is Android auto. Got a quote, “Out the Door” for $34,048 with all three packages, plus all weather mats & LED fog lights.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello Mr. Mike,

Thank you, I am aware and do see the gas tank issue you mentioned.
However, I was hoping to receive some advice / feedback from current owners of the 19 hybrids. We did test drive yesterday, and my wife likes it lots.

Also, being 2020 almost around the corner, I was wondering if it be better to have my wife wait a bit longer for a lower price and more inventory on the XSE Hybrid (It seems this two tone and white color) is hot cakes. No dealer has it in inventory.

Thank you
2019 XSE Blizzard Pearl.. also for the wife. No noticeable fuel fill up problems. FYI all Toyota’s I have owned have a large reserve.

2014 Camry hybrid had about 4 gallons remaining when the light came on.

2013 Tundra has about 6

Our XSE RAV4 has about 3 1/2 to 4

Doesn’t bother me at all. Saves the fuel pump from over heating and I know the wife won’t run out of fuel!

We have about 5000 miles on it and no problems. I don’t have any real complaints! Sure there is always room for improvement? Gas mileage is amazing for an SUV! The Wife is really happy with it!

You will pay a few hundred $ more for the 2020? The only change that I know of is 10 year 150,000 miles hybrid system warranty.
2019 is 8 years 100,00 miles.

I was aware that a few had fuel filling problems.. Found the Color and options we wanted and bought it. No regrets!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Isn’t 13 gallons too much if the reserve is 2.2 gallons?
13 gal is what my neighbor with a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid usually fills after the low fuel light is on. Again is about 13 gal, not exactly. Assuming you used a little fuel after the light came on at 2.2

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, anyhow - aside from the fuel issue. IMO, it does sound more like a irritant but nothing that cant be overlooked; as.... I don't typically rely the gauge as the end all be all. My wife and I, both will actually calculate the avg and check.... besides... having fuel is good but a hybrid (electric) is why we are even looking at the hybrid (two alternative sources) and, thus better/higher MPG for a SUV.

I concur with a few of the comments made, such as: every car has issues.... I don't and hope that all 2019 Hybrid has this issue. I am sure those that encounter it, is not fun but... is it hindering the overall car?

Anyhow, I am not here to beat up the topic that has been mentioned many times on here and other places.
I wanted to just get some feedback on how the car was.... being toyota, I confide their hybrid technology like the Lexus CT.

How much did you purchase your hybrid XSE for?
Since the XSE two tone is in demand, its been hard to find.

I like to hear some of the prices you paid (drive out price) both trade-in or financed or, both.
I like to get a idea if I am paying too much over MSRP or is a reasonable deal; given the demand.
This is for my wife and, I think its a nicer purchase than a used Audi Q3 or high mileage FJ (what she really wants). However, for the price, I think the 19 Rav4 HYBRID is a better purchase/buy compared to those two cars.

She test drove a 19 XLE hybrid and non-hybrid. I agree, the hybrid is a lot smoother and nicer on launch because of the direct electric torque.

Aside from the fuel gauge/reading irritant. You can still fill the car, and get better mpg is what is important.

What are some OTHER Cons or wish the Rav4 Hybrid had for the price tag you paid?

I am hoping to get under 40k drive out with some down payment. We are trading in a 16 Jeep Renegade w/58k.
I am glad about this and be willing to shell out the slight negative; because, I confide in Toyota's reliability and service more than Jeeps.

Going back to actual question/topic.

1) What are some of your feedback about owning your 19 Hybrid XSE
2) If you know the changes, what are they and would you wait for the 2020 year over the 19, even with a 300-$500 increase....

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If in the US, heated seats have been added to the 2020 XSE and of course Android Auto on all trims.

Options and packages are different depending what part of the world you are in.

A general note to the forum admins would be to add the members country below their name to help clear any confusion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
MSRP $38,100
Out the door $36,400
No trade. Sold it on my own for $2,000 more than trading.
Manufactured in Japan in July, purchased mid August.

1) XSE, looks fantastic, drives very nice, no noticeable bump steer, switch to sport mode to wake it up considerably! Soo many nice features could go on and on, my favorites are Dynamic cruise control, Apple CarPlay, Rear Cross Traffic Monitor, JBL Entune option with the remote start and to monitor the car from the APP. MPG is the same as our 2014 Camry Hybrid! SofTex seats clean super easy, they are firm but still very comfy.

2) 2020 changes are better Hybrid warranty and Android Audio. Worth the wait, for some yes? Both would help resale for sure.

3) Wish it had a fully adjustable passenger seat like the drivers, road/wind noise isn’t bad but could be better.

5,000 miles and more than satisfied with the purchase! Wife says she feels spoiled!

·
Registered
285 Posts
If in the US, heated seats have been added to the 2020 XSE and of course Android Auto on all trims.

Options and packages are different depending what part of the world you are in.

A general note to the forum admins would be to add the members country below their name to help clear any confusion.
My 2019 XSE has heated seats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys, anyhow - aside from the fuel issue. IMO, it does sound more like a irritant but nothing that cant be overlooked; as.... I don't typically rely the gauge as the end all be all. My wife and I, both will actually calculate the avg and check.... besides... having fuel is good but a hybrid (electric) is why we are even looking at the hybrid (two alternative sources) and, thus better/higher MPG for a SUV.

I concur with a few of the comments made, such as: every car has issues.... I don't and hope that all 2019 Hybrid has this issue. I am sure those that encounter it, is not fun but... is it hindering the overall car?

Anyhow, I am not here to beat up the topic that has been mentioned many times on here and other places.
I wanted to just get some feedback on how the car was.... being toyota, I confide their hybrid technology like the Lexus CT.

How much did you purchase your hybrid XSE for?
Since the XSE two tone is in demand, its been hard to find.

I like to hear some of the prices you paid (drive out price) both trade-in or financed or, both.
I like to get a idea if I am paying too much over MSRP or is a reasonable deal; given the demand.
This is for my wife and, I think its a nicer purchase than a used Audi Q3 or high mileage FJ (what she really wants). However, for the price, I think the 19 Rav4 HYBRID is a better purchase/buy compared to those two cars.

She test drove a 19 XLE hybrid and non-hybrid. I agree, the hybrid is a lot smoother and nicer on launch because of the direct electric torque.

Aside from the fuel gauge/reading irritant. You can still fill the car, and get better mpg is what is important.

What are some OTHER Cons or wish the Rav4 Hybrid had for the price tag you paid?

I am hoping to get under 40k drive out with some down payment. We are trading in a 16 Jeep Renegade w/58k.
I am glad about this and be willing to shell out the slight negative; because, I confide in Toyota's reliability and service more than Jeeps.

Going back to actual question/topic.

1) What are some of your feedback about owning your 19 Hybrid XSE
2) If you know the changes, what are they and would you wait for the 2020 year over the 19, even with a 300-$500 increase....

·
Registered
10 Posts

In my case the price increase on the 2020 Limited Hybrid amounted to only $200, since I was already planning on getting Premium Audio on the 2019, and that's now standard in the 2020 Limited and represents most of the price increase. And I would say the increased coverage of the hybrid system to 10 years or 150,000 miles is worth the rest of the difference to me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts