Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has looked at the All Wheel Drive Prius that gets 50mpg. I test drove one today and was quite impressed with the acceleration, handling and cargo space. The 2019 models added ALL Wheel Drive and I'm guessing they are using the same type of electric motor for the rear wheel slippage. Ground clearance is less and the 2019s do not have Apple Car Play. They have also did a minor refresh, which I feel improved the looks of the car. Can't seem to find any data comparisons on 0-60, cargo space, etc., to compare to the RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
0-60 is over 10 seconds.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In addition to the obvious differences such as ground clearance and vehicle type, the Prius is generally based on 2016 technology such as the 1st version of Toyota Safety Sense and an older infotainment system. In addition, the engine in the Prius is not one of Toyota's new TGNA engines. If you want the latest and greatest, the Rav4 hybrid is the better choice. If these things are not important to you, than the Prius may work for you if you need all wheel drive,

Curious if anyone has looked at the All Wheel Drive Prius that gets 50mpg. I test drove one today and was quite impressed with the acceleration, handling and cargo space. The 2019 models added ALL Wheel Drive and I'm guessing they are using the same type of electric motor for the rear wheel slippage. Ground clearance is less and the 2019s do not have Apple Car Play. They have also did a minor refresh, which I feel improved the looks of the car. Can't seem to find any data comparisons on 0-60, cargo space, etc., to compare to the RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So you are from the mountain region of North Carolina from your profile.

You may want AWD or 4WD to go up rock strewn roads off road, up a gravel driveway, or through snow on any road or path.

You have a choice of higher ground clearance which would seem to help in two of those scenarios. The Rav4 is the obvious choice for luggage/cargo. Or the 5th passenger. Comes with the roof rails for carrying skis, bikes, etc. But it comes at a cost of MPG versus the hatchback. It is bigger inside and out and heavier. You seldom get something for nothing.

My family currently has a 3 Prius: a hatchback, a Prius v wagon and a Rav4h. I sold my v for my Rav4h. I bought the Rav4 because of its added height and ease of entry. It gets EPA MPG for me driven with no tricks. Another plus were the modern electronic nannies. And it is smoother, quieter and accelerates much faster.

Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2019 Rav4 hybrid 2 months ago.I'm an old fashioned"have to hear it shift,and no engine turnoff guy",but am very impressed with this.I live in Virginia and take numerous trips to upstate NY,and just took my first trip upstate.I got 41 mpg(onscreen),with an average speed of 74-76mph.I had also loaded the rear cargo space with a cedar chest,suitcase,small cooler,and laptops.Cant give you cargo dimensions,or 0-60 stats,but its quite snappy.It would give my Dodge Challenger R/T a run out of the hole for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Came from the Prius (non AWD) into a Rav.

The Rav's NVH is much more refined than the Prius, and the Prius has an older version of Toyota Safety Sense. But, it's still a nice enough car. Ground clearance for me counts, as does overall comfort. I found the Rav more comfortable, but the Prius gets you significantly better MPG.

Only thing I don't like about the Rav is that it's a bit of a brick in the wind, and you feel it. But, other than that, I'm happy with my selection. If you are a big highway person, the Prius might be a better choice due to the wind resistance that you feel in the Rav.

Rav4 is also a FAR peppier vehicle than the Prius.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the comments, I have to agree, ground clearance, newer technology, acceleration ("Rav4 is also a FAR peppier vehicle than the Prius."). Still wondering about head/foot room and just general roominess/cargo comparisons. We are waiting on the 2020 models, especially if it has Android Auto.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prius is not a sedan.

“A hatchback is a car with a hatch-type rear door that opens upwards[1][2][3][4][5] and often a shared volume for the passenger and cargo areas.
When the body style of a car is described as a hatchback, typically it is referring to a utilitarian small car; however hatchback doors are also used on several sports cars, SUVs and large luxury cars. The modern form of the hatchback body style was developed through the 1960s and rose in popularity through the 1970s.”

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't have a problem with head/foot room in the Prius and actually found the range of motion on the seat pretty awesome.

Priuses can haul a lot of stuff re: cargo. But, I won't say more than that--I had a Prime, so my trunk was already pretty compromised. Prius AWD will have more room than the model I had.

The biggest reason I got rid of it really had to do not just with ground clearance, but the somewhat related approach angles. It liked to scrape if you hit a parking ramp incline just a little too fast.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Prius is not a sedan.

“A hatchback is a car with a hatch-type rear door that opens upwards[1][2][3][4][5] and often a shared volume for the passenger and cargo areas.
When the body style of a car is described as a hatchback, typically it is referring to a utilitarian small car; however hatchback doors are also used on several sports cars, SUVs and large luxury cars. The modern form of the hatchback body style was developed through the 1960s and rose in popularity through the 1970s.”
Come on... It's not a SUV either. You're missing the point, i don't want to be educated what a hatchback is. Don't compare apples with oranges... That's the point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From the comments, I have to agree, ground clearance, newer technology, acceleration ("Rav4 is also a FAR peppier vehicle than the Prius."). Still wondering about head/foot room and just general roominess/cargo comparisons. We are waiting on the 2020 models, especially if it has Android Auto.
I was in a 17' Prime, now a 19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited.
In the Prius my bicycle fit in the rear with a little more room left than the Rav4, I think the Prius is longer and thinner, haven't looked at the numbers, but, when I sit in the driver's seat in the Rav4 and put on cycling shoes and helmet, with the seat all the way back and all the way down, I hit my head, not in the Prius, again, haven't looked at the numbers.

I loved the Prime 25,000 miles @ 87.3 mpg overall, (yea, according to the prius odometer, so subtract 10%), but the Rav4 Hybrid is getting 45mpg, it's all wheel drive, real all wheel drive, it rock crawls, and it's getting 4 studded Nokians in a few weeks, ventilate seat, winner winner chicken dinner.
Autonomous driving with a small water bottle, check.
Knob to turn up or down the Temperature, music also, check
Easy in and out, check (the prius was a combination of push and pull to get out)
I can't get rid of my Ram Ecodiesel but I only need it to haul hay and pull Trailers now, the Rav4 will go anywhere, even some places the Ram is to big to get to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts